Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 275,598 times

Advertisements

Did you ever find out what was wrong? My 5 yr old dog has been shaking and panting so we had her anal glands done and the vet said they were really full. And that was about 4 days ago...and from time to time she may do it a little but it may be because they are a little inflamed so we give her the anti inflamitory from the vet. But this mornin she was panting hard and acting clingy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 138,220 times
Default Same Issue with 6-7Yo pitbull

Just started with my 6-7Yo Pitbull, she has never acted like this before. All same symptoms, starting shaking a lot, panting / heavy breathing, follows me around, climbs onto weird furniture, sits by door, follows me around, acts very anxious and nervous, timid. Always wanting to go outside.This lasts for a half hour to a few hours then stops completely and she is back to normal then sometimes happens again. More often at night I have found but not limited to.

She seems to stop shaking and get back to her normal self if I take her outside but then as soon as we are back in the building she doesnt want to come in?? Like there is something evil in the apartment, then sits by door??? We have lived here for almost 6 months and no issues. Up until this point she was very very happy here as it was a upgrade.

Strange thing is this all started a week or two ago, first time after swinging from a branch in the park (with jaw, she loves to play) and lasted on and off for a few days. Then again also after another session on branch, could be unrelated but for now this is all I have to go on. Currently trying to determine type of tree.

Very strange???? I dont have much money at the moment so lots of vet visits are not an option. Very worried about her tho.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,372,112 times
I would get a bottle of Rescue Remedy from your local health food store - it will relax her - you put some in her water or on a bottle - it's also good for people - it's prob. not *the* solution but might help temporarily in the meantime til you have a better idea or til it passes

Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 138,144 times
My son has a Bichon/Chihuahua mix male dog that is now three years old. Suddenly, overnight, he has begun panting and shaking. No clue what's happening. He acts perfectly normal, eating, drinking, playing, barking, etc. but at a rest he pants and shakes so bad he can barely stand on his feet. I've read all the articles posted and see no real answer. Anyone have a clue? Poor little buddy! Doesn't seem to be having pain but a groomer told me that panting is a sign of pain. Please help if you can!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,061,280 times
Try a 'thundershirt' for the thunder. Unfortunately my dog is no longer here but if she was I would get one for her. Best thing is they will refund your money if it doesn't work

Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 137,288 times
My dog has had a very similar situation. She is a 5 year old mix and when I got her as a puppy she was very sketchy around men and new people (I think something happened to her before I got her). But she has gotten much better around new people and men as well over the years. In the past couple of months she has been acting very strange at night. It only happens maybe 4 times a week, but I can't figure out whats going on with her. She is completely normal and playful during the day but as soon as we lay in bed (she sleeps with me, usually at the foot of the bed) everything changes. She has the saddest look on her face and lays as close as she can to my face and puts all of her body weight on me. She starts panting and stares into my eyes. If I move her, she stumbles back to my face and does it again (this goes on for hours). If I close my eyes, she takes her paw and rubs it against my face to wake me up or get my attention. She also cries. She's usually likes her space and spreads out at the foot of the bed and doesn't like to cuddle much. I have no idea what's going on. Sometimes I just lay there and cry because I don't know what's wrong with her or how to help her. I'm also running low on sleep. I'm currently in law school so sleep is very important to me. Has anyone figured out what's going on? I haven't taken her to the vet yet because I thought maybe she was just missing my parents dog from back home. But I'm starting to doubt that theory and am very concerned! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddogowner View Post
My dog has had a very similar situation. She is a 5 year old mix and when I got her as a puppy she was very sketchy around men and new people (I think something happened to her before I got her). But she has gotten much better around new people and men as well over the years. In the past couple of months she has been acting very strange at night. It only happens maybe 4 times a week, but I can't figure out whats going on with her. She is completely normal and playful during the day but as soon as we lay in bed (she sleeps with me, usually at the foot of the bed) everything changes. She has the saddest look on her face and lays as close as she can to my face and puts all of her body weight on me. She starts panting and stares into my eyes. If I move her, she stumbles back to my face and does it again (this goes on for hours). If I close my eyes, she takes her paw and rubs it against my face to wake me up or get my attention. She also cries. She's usually likes her space and spreads out at the foot of the bed and doesn't like to cuddle much. I have no idea what's going on. Sometimes I just lay there and cry because I don't know what's wrong with her or how to help her. I'm also running low on sleep. I'm currently in law school so sleep is very important to me. Has anyone figured out what's going on? I haven't taken her to the vet yet because I thought maybe she was just missing my parents dog from back home. But I'm starting to doubt that theory and am very concerned! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Have you spoke with your vet? Might be a good idea...

First, try and take your dog for a long walk (if possible) before bed. This may help to tire your pup out. Don't give up after a night or two. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it really helps.

Next option, crate your pup so you can sleep but do not give up the long walks before bed. Your dogs still needs them.

Keep us informed as to how this is going.

Best wishes!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 AM

2 posts, read 275,598 times
Default update

after i posted last my dog continued top act the same way, many said her signs were of a dog in pain. originally i believe yes her acting funny was from her annal glands, and continued a little after they were expressed because they may have been a little tender still. but she continued way longer than she should have with the shaking and trembling, my theory is, she knew how much attention she got from acting that way, so she continued. awhile w started ignoring her when she did this, and it took a couple months but she eventually stopped. i think the walk before bed is a great idea. ..question, has your dog fallen off the bed during the night? are you a rough sleeper, meaning could you have kicked your dog in your sleep and maybe not known? it could be remembering that?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 136,731 times
My dog does the same thing every once in a blue moon. Today April 30th, she started again. She'll pant and shake and just want to be on our lap. If I go outside she'll still run along the fence with the other dogs, but quickly comes back to me. He tail is down also. I noticed the last time this happened she had a very hard BM. The first time it happened the Vet found nothing.
When this first happened about a year ago, I also though it was weird, she'd look up and around like she was seeing something. With low funds it's hard to return to the vet and have them tell me again, that all seems fine.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,606,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasoup View Post
My dog does the same thing every once in a blue moon. Today April 30th, she started again. She'll pant and shake and just want to be on our lap. If I go outside she'll still run along the fence with the other dogs, but quickly comes back to me. He tail is down also. I noticed the last time this happened she had a very hard BM. The first time it happened the Vet found nothing.
When this first happened about a year ago, I also though it was weird, she'd look up and around like she was seeing something. With low funds it's hard to return to the vet and have them tell me again, that all seems fine.
give your dog a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, pure canned pumpkin) with each meal for the next few meals. It does wonders for both constipation and diarherra and it sounds like she might be a little constipated. Can't hurt to try and that will only cost you a dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs