Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM

158 posts, read 493,542 times

Advertisements

I got a kitten the other day.. Now I think the kitten is scared of the dog (she's a staffy x) which you would expect, especially when bakes head is the whole size of the kitten. So as you can imagine im a little worried really.. Mainly because ive never had a dog and a kitten! The kitten we got generally stays out of her way but when baker gets within in 30cm of scampi (kitten) the kitten gets upset and hisses at her.. Which makes baker bark at him.. I know its only early days, but do you think this kitten and baker will get on?! At the mo, shes really intreeged by him.. Hense why she follows him, so will that stop?! I do trust baker, jus worried. Shes got a lovely nature, but i just need 2 look out 4 signs that she might wana hurt him?! Wot are the signs?! How can i get them to bond?! The only time they seem to bond is when food is involved.. Although when bakes is asleep, scampi will quite happily sleep next to her, will this improve?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
yes.... it will get better ......

your last sentence says a LOT.... the fact that the kitty is willing to sleep next to bakes is an EXCELLENT sign.....

but do keep an eye on things for a while yet..... although bakes is not likely to be aggressive toward the kitty.... he (she?)could hurt the kitty without meaning to......

Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
My APBT wants to play w/my adult cats but he is way too rough for them. He doesn't seem to realize they're not as strong as his doggie housemates.

Like latetotheparty said, your last sentence is a harbinger of good things in the relationship. Just keep on eye on them!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM

22 posts, read 75,242 times
It's amazing they'll sleep next to each other so soon, so I'm sure they'll be fine, but don't leave them alone together for awhile yet. It's funny how often big dogs will be submissive to a little cat (especially after they've had their nose scratched once or twice) but you have to let the dog know VERY firmly that it can't show any aggression at all without getting in major trouble, even if the cat "started it". If the cat hisses, tell her no, and if she doesn't back down, carry her away until she calms down so the dog isn't pushed too far. I know this is a crazy time at your house but it will get better.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
My two are still adjusting to each other (1.5 yo dog and older cat) but they seem to get along well enough. I have the same problem in that the dog is much bigger than the cat and tends to get a bit rowdy when playing. He also like to mouth the cat like if he were playing with another dog. He never means anything by it but it is scary to see. The cat doesn't seem to mind though and he is actually quite gentle about it. The cat gets tired of his pestering though and relocates to somewhere he can't get after a few minutes of it.

The sleeping thing is really a good sign. Mine are at the "yeah we can lay down on the floor in the same room as long as we can see each other" stage now, lol. Nowhere near sleeping next to each other.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,449,247 times
I agree that sleeping together is a very good sign. I wish my cats would sleep with my dog. I don't think, though, that it's a good idea to try to pick up and carry a hissing cat. It's easier to control the dog. I have scratches on my arm to prove it! We have a 10 month old EB who still wants to play with the cats. The female swats him on the nose regularly. He ducks and flinches but it doesn't deter him too much when he wants to play. Last night he went after the female cat and swatted her with his big paw! I think he thinks he's a cat.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
Mine does the investigative nose push. Part of it is to get a better sniff but the rest is to get the cat's attention... like he can miss a dog ten times his size with a head as big as he is, right?

Anyway, he will come up and sniff but the cat will be his usual aloof self so the dog will do a nudge then another. Of course as big as the dog is his nudges usually mean pushing the cat across the floor or lifting him into the air, lol.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
i had charlie and max cats before i got bailey.... the kitties were about 8-9 months old when i brought 4 month old bailey into the house.....

there was the typical hiding under the bed from the curious and playful pup for a few days..... but it wasn't very long before max was out and doin' that loving kitty rub all over bailey's head and side..... it was actually kind of comical, because bailey did NOT know WHAT to think of this little fella rubbing his head all over her.......

we were on the front porch a little while ago and bailey was just lying there, watching the world go by and max walked over and plopped himself down in the space between her front legs and back legs with one of the most contented looks on his face i have seen in a long while........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs