Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times

Advertisements

Two days ago we got a 1 yr old Italian Greyhound- Whippet mix from SPCA San Patricio TX. The dog doesn't bite, hasn't barked but left on her own she will hide. I have two children who are experienced and gentle with dogs but none of us are experts. We walk the dog on a leash and read all about pack leader and even that a new rescue dog shouldn't be showered with affection, but eventually this could be very depressing.

What can we do? and How long should we expect it to take?

As a side issue- SPCA lady told his this was a fun playful doggie - loved to play fetch and just a bit nervous at the store because of the animals and noise. We can't be talking about the same animal. She rarely has eaten but probably ate a few bites if we were all gone - I suspect that SPCA told us all this to get rid of the dog. We are hanging in there -we've rescued baby possums and other problematic animals but this time we were hoping for a real pet - maybe it just takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I'm sure it is going to take time. Think of all the changes she has gone through...and she probably is hesitant to trust anyone.
Go real slow. Maybe leash her and just sit with her. I would even try it without the kids. No loud noises...no quick movements...just you and she sitting. Talk softly and reassuring to her...offer your hand and maybe a treat or two....She needs to feel comfortable. Remember, this is all new to her. She doesn't have a clue who you are or where she is. When she seems to ease alittle and seems more comfortable, then bring in one child at a time. Instruct them to do the same.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
You need to be MUCH, MUCH more patient than expecting changes in only two days. It might takes months. If the dog is behaving as fearfully as you describe, I would make every effort to make sure she's handled gently and calmly. This is going to take a while and she needs to learn to trust again. Thank you for taking her in. It WILL be worth it!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post

What can we do? and How long should we expect it to take?
I'd give her a month. My dog changed dramatically over the course of a year. It is very rewarding to see how a dog comes around.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:13 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
It took my abused rescue boxer almost 6 months to be completely comfortable in our home. He was severely malnourished when we adopted him and ate so quickly because he thought it was his last meal. He was also head shy and is just now coming around to let us pet him on the head and rub his ears. You have to remember that your dog's life was probably pretty crappy before coming to your loving home. He needs to realize the bottom isn't going to fall out and that could take time.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
You need to be patient with this baby, his is in a new place. Give it more than two days... he will come around and probably be the best dog you ever had. You must consider giving him time, that is all he needs is time. Nothing is perfect over night. Yeah he might have been playful and happy at the SPCA after the shock and him getting use to where he was. remember something he must have been left some where or given up by his old owners...don't know how many homes he has actually been in. Then to be at the SPCA. Now he has a new home. Give him some slack, work with him, assure him how much you love him.

You have the best doggy in town in no time

Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 PM

177 posts, read 757,646 times
With no knowledge of this dog's background, you have no idea what she's been through. It might take her a very long time to get adjusted to yet another home environment. Maybe she's never been around children much before.

Work on calmly bonding with her...keep the kids at a distance for now. Slow introductions are the key. Set goals and house rules, create a structure, but don't obsess over immediately training her tricks or things like that.

All animals are different, so I can't tell you how long she'll take. Just be patient with her. I'm sure she'll come around!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree you need to give him some time to get use to you. I have several rescued dogs and they all were scared and nervous when they first come to my home. You have gotten good advice here. Offer him treats and let him get to know you.

I had someone adopt a foster dog who had finally come out of his shell after being abused. They kept him a week and then called and said he was unhappy so I took him back. A week is not long enough for them to get use to new ppl and new surroundings.

I can tell you every one of my rescued dogs are so loving.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Ah! Give her time. She was obviously abused. Everything is new to her. Sometimes rescue groups and shelters will tell little white lies to get the animal adopted. For instance their age, only because everyone wants a puppy, not an older dog. She could have been use to where she was in the shelter and felt safe there and had trusted the people or one person there and was playful with them. Now she is in a new place. She goes back to the beginning again, scared! She could have been in a couple of homes too. Who knows. However, someone saw something in her worth saving. They could not see her go down. Rescue groups would love to save all but some are too far gone and could never be placed in a home. This is usually due to agressiveness, (the owners fault) or just no room in the rescue shelters. The obviously abused ones tear at our heartstrings a little bit harder and our heart goes out to get them into a safe loving home. This was probably the case with your girl. I would give her time.
Good luck and keep us posted. Do you have a fenced yard? Make sure you have a tag for her with ID. God forbid she should run.
All my rescues were scared at first. The worst is my Jenny who I found in the middle of the road last June. She is still scared, but I can see she was severely abused. Even when I open a bottle of water and she hears the crack she is scared. Will take time. She is worth it, she is the sweetest ever. Shame on people who abuse any animal.

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-11-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,750 times
TIME.... it takes time. Our first rescue, a sheltie, had never even seen grass before we got her. I sat with her on my lap every single night after supper...for almost three weeks, just to get her accustomed to our routine and understanding that she was secure. Eventually, she did very well. I'm betting your patience will be highly rewarded.

And ....good for you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs