Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,077,933 times

Advertisements

I know how frustrating it is. I've been there. In fact, if you do a search on city data dogs forum, you'll see my threads with similar titles to yours, i.e., Separation Anxiety and Crate Training issues.

I currently have a Labrador mix that I also adopted from a shelter. Labradors are also "hyper" and require lots of exercise but probably not as much as Border Collies. Crate training simply was NOT going to work for him. The solution that I found was a 5 foot by 10 foot outdoor pen. (The one I bought has a tarp like roof to protect him from the sun and rain and I made him a cement floor out of patio pavers.) I always walk him prior to putting him in and as soon as I get home, we go for another longer walk before going inside.

It's not about him adapting to your lifestyle... You have to be sure that your dog gets the necessary exercise. Border Collies absolutely MUST HAVE a LOT of exercise. They are herding dogs.

http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html

You and your Border Collie would probably enjoy some kind of agility work. My dog was a natural to it because of his energy and it is fun for both of us!

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-16-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,882,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I know how frustrating it is. I've been there. In fact, if you do a search on city data dogs forum, you'll see my threads with similar titles to yours, i.e., Separation Anxiety and Crate Training issues.

I currently have a Labrador mix that I also adopted from a shelter. Labradors are also "hyper" and require lots of exercise but probably not as much as Border Collies. Crate training simply was NOT going to work for him. The solution that I found was a 5 foot by 10 foot outdoor pen. (The one I bought has a tarp like roof to protect him from the sun and rain and I made him a cement floor out of patio pavers.) I always walk him prior to putting him in and as soon as I get home, we go for another longer walk before going inside.

It's not about him adapting to your lifestyle... You have to be sure that your dog gets the necessary exercise. Border Collies absolutely MUST HAVE a LOT of exercise. They are herding dogs.

http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html

You and your Border Collie would probably enjoy some kind of agility work. My dog was a natural to it because of his energy and it is fun for both of us!
WC has a very good point. Like any number of working breeds, a tired border collie is a good border collie. An under-exercised border collie is a neurotic powder keg.

The challenge is that the more you exercise the dog and enjoy him in his exhausted state, the better shape he's in.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,635,478 times
Dash and I just were laying on the couch watching Under dog to Wonder dog and the little dog had seperation anxiety and they used chew toys and treat filled toys to get her over it. After she got to the point where she seemd to love her treat filled bone they would give it to her and walk out the door much the same as I do with my 3 and she did not seem to even notice. With treat filled toys you need to find a treat they really like, such a cheese, hot dog and put some of it in there or I have a friend that instead of feeding her dog breakfast she fills the kongs with the dogs breakfast and hides them so if the dog wants breakfast she has to hunt and find it. Keeps her busy for quite awhile. Sometimes when they ignore a treat filled toy it is because the just are not hungry so using the breakfast that way should make them interested in it.

I know with Jazz ( border collieX cattle dog) it is next to impossible to wear her out ( or was as she is 13 now) . I mean we would go run at the dog park or beach for hours where she would begin laying down looking exhausted and during that 10 minute car trip home she slept but at the front door she was already looking at me "what now?" ready to go again. Yes there was a huge difference in how well she did after such exercises verses a day she did not get it.

When you can't get a long exercise period in do alot of obedience things on the walk, sits, downs , changing direction as it will mentally stimulate the dog and that will wear him out as well. If he loves to fetch then make him work for the ball by doing sits or downs of tricks you have taught him and using the ball as the reward anything that makes him think. Border collies need not only physical exercise but mental stimulation to be happy .

Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,588,969 times
When I just adopted a GSD, I have the same thought as you. She followed me very closely, hated crate and showed little interest in any treats or greenie or bone or chewing stuff or food. Her only interest was to watch and follow me around.
I feel three things changed her. I can see her dramatic transformation. 1) No more crate. On the third day of her arrival, she did escape and left me some blood trail to clean. I can’t find wound. I don’t want to startle her by touching her too much at that time. However, she didn't do anything so I let her run free in the house when I am away. She tried to scratch doors to get out. I stayed outside and kept telling her no. Only when she stops, I come in (I can see inside the house through the windows on our French door). At the fourth day, she no longer cries or scratches door. I put a comfortable pad next to our French door (removed curtain in that area) so she can see us leaving and coming. I also removed curtain on our sliding glass doors so she can watch the birds on the lake behind our house. 2) Very importantly, my neighbor’s Airedale. The Airedale is a very playful and friendly dog. She napped at him when they first met. He just kept doing what he does the best, play bow. He came over every day to win her heart. Also at the fourth day, my GSD played no stop with him, then peed in the house (I just cleaned up and didn’t say anything) and lay down on her side. I can see she finally felt relaxed in our home. They play together almost every day now. 3) Just time. It takes me one week to settle her down. One month has passed. She eats anything I gave and begs for treats all the time. She doesn’t bark and walks well on leash. So the final conclusion: She doesn’t have separation anxiety and she finally learned that she can trust us and our friends. She is a perfect dog now. Good luck with your dog.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Have you considered adding a DAP diffuser to your arsenal?
That didn't work with my dog, but anything's worth a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Also, I have steadily been moving my crate further and further from my bed each night. Last night he cried a little bit, but nothing compared to what he does when I leave. I am hoping this will help. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
See, there you go! It's slowly working. Are you taking him to any classes where he 'be schooled' with other dogs?

Dashdog - I know what you went through with Jazz. I felt your pain! (My dog is over 13 too). Absolutely nothing would wear my pup out, from playing games, training exercises & classes, agility, before and after work park runs, play dates with other dogs - he was always excited to go and I was the one who ended up being exhausted! ~ But you know, I wouldn't change anything. It was a wonderful learning and bonding experience for us.

"Take a look at Pat Miller's 'The Power of Positive Dog Training.' I'm pretty sure that there's a chapter on separation anxiety and how to work with it."
From ViralMD on a similar thread. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,942,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
That didn't work with my dog, but anything's worth a shot!

See, there you go! It's slowly working. Are you taking him to any classes where he 'be schooled' with other dogs?

Dashdog - I know what you went through with Jazz. I felt your pain! (My dog is over 13 too). Absolutely nothing would wear my pup out, from playing games, training exercises & classes, agility, before and after work park runs, play dates with other dogs - he was always excited to go and I was the one who ended up being exhausted! ~ But you know, I wouldn't change anything. It was a wonderful learning and bonding experience for us.
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

I have heard so much about how hyper border collies are. I dont know what my guys deal is, but he is extremely docile for the most part. When I take him outside he will run around a bit, but is fine off of a leash and is content just sitting by me than actually running around.

Anytime he is in my apartment and outside his crate he is sleeping.

Maybe he is just getting used to his environment still?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

I have heard so much about how hyper border collies are. I dont know what my guys deal is, but he is extremely docile for the most part. When I take him outside he will run around a bit, but is fine off of a leash and is content just sitting by me than actually running around.

Anytime he is in my apartment and outside his crate he is sleeping.

Maybe he is just getting used to his environment still?
Well, maybe. He sounds like he's bonding to you.

Parsons Jack Russell Terriers are extremely hyperactive, so the story goes. A friend had one who was the antithesis of that! She didn't want to run, jump or socialize with other dogs. From the time she was a puppy she snoozed all day long! So, who knows. Maybe Luka is just thrilled to have a good home...

Remember that comment I first made to you about Luka sizing you up? I wasn't kidding. He has very intelligent eyes, imo. From what I understand BCs are very submissive to humans (maybe the docile part).

You really sound like you are trying hard to do the best thing for Luka. Thanks for rescuing him, and I am quite sure you two will get things sorted out.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Well, maybe. He sounds like he's bonding to you.

Parsons Jack Russell Terriers are extremely hyperactive, so the story goes. A friend had one who was the antithesis of that! She didn't want to run, jump or socialize with other dogs. From the time she was a puppy she snoozed all day long! So, who knows. Maybe Luka is just thrilled to have a good home...

Remember that comment I first made to you about Luka sizing you up? I wasn't kidding. He has very intelligent eyes, imo. From what I understand BCs are very submissive to humans (maybe the docile part).

You really sound like you are trying hard to do the best thing for Luka. Thanks for rescuing him, and I am quite sure you two will get things sorted out.
Yes, it will work out. This week has been somewhat trying as work has forced me to leave him in his crate for longer stretches than I would like. Starting tomorrow I should be able to check on him during my lunch break which will hopefully help with the handful of 'accidents' he's had in his crate.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Well, its been a rough couple of days for me and Luka. Luka has been sick and has had diarrhea the past couple days. Three times I have either come home (or worken up to) Luka having gone #2 in his cage and getting it all over him. Today, I came to check on him during my lunch break to find it happened again. I had to have somebody cover one of my classes (i am a tennis instructor) while I cleaned up the Crate as well as Luka. My vet told me it is most likely from the transition to the new food I am giving him (Iams Pro Health). This makes sense to me as I may have been not making the switch gradually enough.

So, the vet recommended I go 24 Hours without feeding Luka (which will be tomorrow morning). After 24 hours, feed him a small amount of chicken breast and rice. Also, put a little bit of chicken broth in his water in order to make him want to drink more.

Do these sound like good suggestions to you? My vet seems like a stand up guy and seems to know what he is talking about. I guess what i am asking is has anybody else fed their dog Chicken and Rice?

My other question is (i forgot to ask the vet) how much should I feed luka tomorrow? I would imagine not too much but was wondering if anybody had a recommendation. Luka weighs about 35 lbs but is about 5 lbs underweight.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,743,943 times
My dog has had this, when I had 2 dogs all was ok! she is almost 8, and when I do leave her, or she
comes in the car, it is bark, and bark, non stop. She gets the radio on, and a busy bone, I also did try
the meds did not work. Now she is as sweet as sweet may be! I guess, why, I am here! I did get a dog with mega anxiety. she also loves the crate, and does go to it, but, barks if i am gone! Hollowood please, for the bark! It is really hard, however, I do need to go out, and leave her! I do crate her, for my peace, and her peace!

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-17-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs