Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 118,388 times

Advertisements

As most of you know, finding a rental if you own a so-called "dangerous" breed can be tough. I have a pit bull, and as a homeowner, realize the extra costs associated with home insurance and liability issues. While looking for homes in CA I found that hardly any were pet-friendly, and even fewer allowed dogs; almost none seemed to want a pit bull.

So I did some research, and wrote up the following letter. I sent it to about seven listings last night and received a very favorable response to it. I thought I should post it here in case others who are in my situation need some pointers.

The Letter:

Hi,

I came across this listing on Craigslist am very interested. My girlfriend and I have great job opportunities in the area; she will be teaching fifth grade at Vallejo Charter School and I have been granted permission to work from home as a web developer for ARG Interactive, my current employer. Your house seems like a perfect place to call home as we leave ours behind. As a homeowner I understand that owning certain breeds raises your insurance premium and puts the owner at risk. I have had a difficult time finding a rental because of this. However, our dog is very friendly and we are responsible owners. I never let him off leash, and take very good care to exercise him (and me) regularly. In the three years I've owned my home in our quiet neighborhood I've never had a complaint or problem with him.

I’m willing to purchase Farmers rental insurance, which includes $300,000 in coverage for certain dog breeds. I have paid significantly higher home insurance for three years, so I am perfectly willing to do what it takes, whether that be additional liability for peace of mind, or a pet deposit of some sort. Also, I have several statements from my neighbors and the vet that indicate he is a good-natured dog and not temperamental at all. He’s been neutered and socialized with all ages and never shown any aggression towards anybody.

We really want to move to CA while we have the chance, but can’t part with our dog, as he’s a family member to us. Would you consider accepting extra money or a deposit to allow him?

Thank you,

Basically I addressed our personal responsibility in terms of finances, a stable job, and so on. I also made sure to come across as a responsible owner (which I am) and finally, added the piece about additional rental insurance. I tried to keep the tone personal - "he's a family member" - to break through any of their preconceived notions.

I suggest others who are in the same situation take this approach, as it seems to offset the stigmas attached to certain breeds while indicating responsibility. Most of those who I spoke with had already considered the extra liability insurance, and were receptive to this.

And please, let's not get into a debate about pit bulls. I'm not interested and won't address any snide or ignorant comments. Take it elsewhere.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM

37 posts, read 219,290 times
Just out of curiousity does your dog have a CGC award. This could also help out as I have heard many property management companies say that they would take a dog with this over one that doesn't have it. Also welcome to the Vallejo area.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Nope, unfortunately he does not have a CGC cert. He's very well trained and would pass everything...except he's a bit iffy with other dogs. Sometimes he loves them...sometimes he wants to eat them. I NEVER let him off leash.

Regardless, I think most of the responsibility lies in the owners hands...

And thanks for the welcome

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Omg I just went through this today and dont even have a dangerous breed and because I have two dogs it ended up being 600.00 for a pet deposit . I am so depressed and I wont even entertain the thought of giving these money hungry landlords the extra free money and that is exactly what it is , free money especially if your pets dont do any damage . Pet fees have gotten out of hand because other people pay it and now these money hungry landlords expect everyone too . I have rented houses where I never even had a pet deposit at all or have had houses where the pet deposit was like 150 per pet . I dont understand why they feel that 600.00 is reasonable . Maybe to some folks that is reasonable not to me . I hope you find a rental where the landlord is understanding and accomdating .

Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Only $600? The lady I just spoke with was very nice, and the house is great. But she wants $1000! I was guessing it's refundable at the end of the lease but from what you indicate, it's not.

I'm not sure what the pet deposit would cover, since I'd carry the extra renter's liability, but...I will pay just about anything to keep my dog.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
landlords in the past have used the excuse of doggie damage to the house and yard, flea infestations, etc. etc. etc. .......

my dog, as i'm sure yours are too, is better behaved and less destructive than most people's children...... so not fair........

Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Our insurance company (the very same Farmers that you mentioned) has always told us absolutely no on any aggressive breeds. They said if we have a tenant who has or gets an aggressive breed, they will cancel our landlord insurance for that property. I didn't even know they had a special insurance you could get for it. I might consider it if you came to me with that letter and that really checked out with my insurance agent.

However, you would still be required to pay a pet deposit on top of carrying the additional insurance. Experienced Landlords have learned that EVERY pet owner applying for a rental says "my pet is well behaved and won't cause any damage". Unfortunately, only a few are telling the truth, and the landlord has no way to know if you are one of the few.

We've had pets do anywhere from $0 damage to $15,000 in damage (not a typo). In my 8 years of experience, I have found that most pets do in the $100-$200 range worth of damage and additional cleaning of house and yard. Cleaning up doggie droppings in the backyard is something that dog owners always seem to conveniently "forget" when moving out. Truly responsible pet owners, unfortunately, are few and far between.

If you are moving within the area, and truly are one of the few, I would add to your letter an invitation for a landlord to stop by and see your current residence and yard, so they can meet the dog and see how well you maintain your property, all in one pass.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I rented a couple homes when I had a 50 pound raccoon as a pet. The way I did was to be honest, encourage the owner to see the coon and his cage. Reassure them he was a outside pet only. It took very little effort and I found a home to rent quick both times.

Many owners will not allow pets of any breed or size, you have to honor - that it's their home.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Yea he sleeps most of the day until we get home. I can't think of any damage he's done except when he was a puppy...and that was mostly to remote contols and shoes. A bike ride in the a.m. keeps him tired now.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Honestly, the only thing you can do is lie. Where I live, NO apartment complexes accept aggressive breeds, especially a pit bull. Even when I owned a house, I had to lie to the insurance company.

I have been doing this for the last 12 years, and I will never own another pit bull again.

I used to have 2 pit bulls, both very nice, and have always made sure they had a yard. One died a few years ago, and the remaining dog is now 10.

However, my circumstances have changed, and I can't afford much more than a cheap 1 bedoom. I have contaced many people for rooms for rent, as a shared situation, and can't find a place. There are no apartments that will accept her, and I am at a loss on what to do. I have considered lying again, but most of the apartments are in a whole building, and it would be very hard to pull off. Before, I tried to find places where there are seperate outside entrances, so I would not run into many people, but now I can not afford much, so beggers can't be choosers.

She doesn't have many years left, but I paid a lot of money for an ACL surgery last year. I have done everything for my dog, and I can't bear the thought of finding another home for her, but it is getting to the point where that is what I might have to do.

I tried being honest while looking for places to rent one year, and it was a joke. Sure, if you have extra money, I'm sure you could bribe your way into a place through excessive deposits and insurance, but that is not an option for everyone. I am sure there are a few landlords who would consider it (not a company), but odds are against you.

From your post, I understand that you have owned your home for 3 years with the dog, and have never been in the rental market with your dog? I hope it works out for you, because I am very frustrated at my situation.

Pit bulls are wonderful dogs, but it is getting to the point where good people with good dogs are at a severe disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs