U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
 
369 posts, read 2,063,272 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

I love reading about the benefits of the raw food diet! I'd love to try it out but I have to be honest.. I really don't have the desire to spend more than 5 minutes preparing my dogs food.. The Stella & Chewy's patties interest me, but I don't know enough about them..


http://www.stellaandchewys.com/site/products_dogs/frozen_beef.asp

Does this food look legit? I understand there is probably nothing like knowing EXACTLY what your dog is eating.. but like i said, i really don't have the time or the interest in selecting and preparing what my dog eats...


I'm just wondering how this product holds up to a true Raw diet, and to kibble...


Thanks in advance!



-Bob
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
 
6,499 posts, read 10,973,585 times
Reputation: 11079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I love reading about the benefits of the raw food diet! I'd love to try it out but I have to be honest.. I really don't have the desire to spend more than 5 minutes preparing my dogs food.. The Stella & Chewy's patties interest me, but I don't know enough about them..

I'm just wondering how this product holds up to a true Raw diet, and to kibble...


Thanks in advance!



-Bob
Well, a true raw diet wouldn't include fruits and vegetables. Yes, I know many people feed that, but the dogs don't need it. I feed the raw meat and bones diet, and there's nothing to prepare, other than trimming the skin and excessive fat off the meat. I just take what I'm going to feed out of the fridge, let it sit to take the excess chill out of it, then just hand it to them. They do the rest.

The hard part is keeping the cost down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 14,467,772 times
Reputation: 4875
We use it and LOVE IT!! Well, our dog loves it! Yes, it's expensive, but we have one (fairly) small dog, so cost is not that important to us. We tried just giving him raw chicken from the supermarket, but being a Bulldog, he's not the greatest chewer and choked on the bone.

Stella and Chewy's includes all the bones/organ meats and grinds it up into patties. You just defrost it the night before and serve. Couldn't be easier. And, unlike supermarket meat, it's tested to ensure it's safe enough for raw consumption.

There aren't many fruits/vegetables in this food; it makes up a small percentage of it. Primal and Nature's Variety are the other two huge raw food suppliers and they have a much larger percentage of fruits/vegetables.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM
 
369 posts, read 2,063,272 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We use it and LOVE IT!! Well, our dog loves it! Yes, it's expensive, but we have one (fairly) small dog, so cost is not that important to us. We tried just giving him raw chicken from the supermarket, but being a Bulldog, he's not the greatest chewer and choked on the bone.

Stella and Chewy's includes all the bones/organ meats and grinds it up into patties. You just defrost it the night before and serve. Couldn't be easier. And, unlike supermarket meat, it's tested to ensure it's safe enough for raw consumption.

There aren't many fruits/vegetables in this food; it makes up a small percentage of it. Primal and Nature's Variety are the other two huge raw food suppliers and they have a much larger percentage of fruits/vegetables.

Hows expensive is it? We have a 20 lb dog.. wondering how much it would cost weekly!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 14,467,772 times
Reputation: 4875
Here in San Diego, it's $19.99 per 6lb. bag. Our dog weighs almost 50 and gets 2 patties a day. There are 12 patties in each bag, so we spend a little over $20/week on his food. Your dog would be eating much less (just under one patty a day for a 20lb. dog) so it would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying!

If you do decide to make the switch, shop around. This is the best price I found around here. Many of the other stores charge 24.99-27.99 per bag.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM
 
369 posts, read 2,063,272 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Here in San Diego, it's $19.99 per 6lb. bag. Our dog weighs almost 50 and gets 2 patties a day. There are 12 patties in each bag, so we spend a little over $20/week on his food. Your dog would be eating much less (just under one patty a day for a 20lb. dog) so it would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying!

If you do decide to make the switch, shop around. This is the best price I found around here. Many of the other stores charge 24.99-27.99 per bag.

What kind do you get? Freeze dried, or just frozen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 14,467,772 times
Reputation: 4875
Frozen. The freeze dried is like double the price for some reason! We only use the freeze dried when traveling with him, since frozen doesn't travel too well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
 
369 posts, read 2,063,272 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Frozen. The freeze dried is like double the price for some reason! We only use the freeze dried when traveling with him, since frozen doesn't travel too well.

Thanks for the help man.. I went to the website, and it says the closest store that caries it is about 25 miles away... It would survive a 30 minute ride im guessing, lol..

i wonder if other stores carry it that aren't listed on the website! We are south east of Phoenix Arizona!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 14,467,772 times
Reputation: 4875
The three stores I found in San Diego that do carry it are not listed on the site and 2 of the ones that were no longer carry it, so you might want to try calling the 800 number for an updated list or call some of the local stores near you to see if they carry it. Each geographical area is assigned to a person that is responsible for updating the website, but as I've come to realize, it never happens. I'm betting you can find it much closer than 25 miles away!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
 
369 posts, read 2,063,272 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The three stores I found in San Diego that do carry it are not listed on the site and 2 of the ones that were no longer carry it, so you might want to try calling the 800 number for an updated list or call some of the local stores near you to see if they carry it. Each geographical area is assigned to a person that is responsible for updating the website, but as I've come to realize, it never happens. I'm betting you can find it much closer than 25 miles away!

I just picked up a bad of the small chicken frozen patties.. 15 bucks.. not to bad.. i've read bad things about feeding kibble and raw food at the same time.. does anyone else know anything about this??


I plan on feeding 2 small patties to radar in the morning, then feeding him his kibble at night! I hope this doesn't irritate his already pissed off digestive track!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top