Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times

Advertisements

Ok, so while this is incredibly sad, it could have been prevented. This is the third Uga to die at a very young age due to heart problems. Why is this unethical breeder still breeding this line and why isn't someone stepping in to stop them? This dog is famous and I'd be very hesistant to purchase from this breeder given the serious health issues.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/uga-vii-georgia-s-205602.html

Just a week after a clean bill of health, Uga VII, the University of Georgia football mascot, died unexpectedly Thursday morning in Savannah.

"You can imagine, we are devastated," Swann Seiler, daughter of Uga VII owner, told the AJC. "He was such a sweet dog. This is a very hard day."

The Seiler family called the 4-year-old dog's Savannah veterinarian Thursday after noticing the dog was not well, Swann Seiler said. The dog was taken to a local hospital.

The cause of death was an apparent heart attack.

"Uga has gone the way of all great bulldogs....up in the sky," longtime sideline reporter Loran Smith told the AJC.

Uga VII, named "Loran's Best" after the announcer, made his sideline debut on Aug. 30, 2008 in the Bulldogs' opener vs. Georgia Southern. He compiled a record of 16-7 during his tenure, the shortest for any in the Uga family.

Since 1956, the University of Georgia's mascot has come from a line of solid-white English bulldogs named Uga, owned by Sonny and Cecelia Seiler.

"We are all in a state of shock," Sonny Seiler said. "We had no warning whatsoever."

There will be no live mascot at Georgia¹s game on Saturday but a wreath will be placed on Uga VII's doghouse on the north sideline.

The previous University of Georgia mascot, Uga VI, died June 27, 2008, also of heart problems.

"I'm not a very good prognosticator," Smith told the AJC. "I wrote a story on him for the game program, and I said he was going to be a lucky dog because he's No. 7."

Burial details have not been finalized, Smith said.

Head coach Mark Richt said news of the mascot's sudden death was shocking.

"You never think something like that could happen that quickly, but it certainly did," Richt said. "It’s sad we won’t have him on the sideline anymore.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,001 times
He is an English Bulldog. What do you expect?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,449,748 times
Only four years old? That's so sad! RIP, Uga.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 AM

843 posts, read 1,433,748 times
I thought all english bulldogs had heart problems/ multiple health problems. I think it is more of the breed and not the breeder. For how much those dogs are loved in that town, I don't believe that they would breed intentionally for bad health effects.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,474 times
The last 6 UGA mascots were around for about 9 years that I know of. The first UGA Bulldog was introduced in 1956, they have been at it for awhile. Heart failure is very common in bullies even at a young age. Not to mention a bazillion other health issues.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,744 times
An apparent heart attack? Dogs don't get heart attacks like people do, sounds like bad reporting to me. I can think of a few heart defects he would have been likely to have. Was this famous dog never screened by a cardiologist? Sorry...had a series of frustrating cases this week and this story is making me angry right now.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Very sad....

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM

605 posts, read 2,991,545 times
So sad. Our dogs (mutts) have lived 13,15 and 17 years and that didn't seem long enough. I couldn't imagine losing one at 4 years...

Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
He is an English Bulldog. What do you expect?
Um, Bulldogs that are well bred do not just die of a heart defect at such a young age. Our breeder owns an 11 and 13 year old bully and we recently met a 16 year old. Most will live to an average of 12-14 years if bred properly. PC plays with an 9 year old at the dog park and you'd think he was still a puppy by the way he runs. It's all in the breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
I thought all english bulldogs had heart problems/ multiple health problems. I think it is more of the breed and not the breeder. For how much those dogs are loved in that town, I don't believe that they would breed intentionally for bad health effects.
No, not all EBs have health problems. Ours hasn't had one single Bulldog issue since we got him because we researched the breed extensively and went through a reputable breeder. Heart defects don't just show up, I can assure you the parents of UGA both carry whatever defect is killing these dogs.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,797,212 times
I hated Uga V. That dog bit me on the sidelines a week before he made Sportscenter for almost biting an Auburn player's face off.

I hope his line is snuffed out. Seriously.

That said, it is understandable that the particular line would be perpetuated, damn the torpedoes. Georgia is #2 in the U.S. for ancestor worship behind Mississippi and certainly top ten for most blindly loyal, psychotic, pathological football fanaticism. UGA is something of an institution there and that paternal line has a long tradition of representing the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs