Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Intros should go slow....Scent plays a big part of introductions. I usually towel down each animal and then exchange towels. Let the animals adjust to the scent before the actual meeting. If your dog is lunging, then by all means keep him leashed or kennel one or the other. I usually put the dog in a down stay and let the kitten sniff...be sure to keep full control and be aware the dog could lunge. Most dogs need to have their noses smacked a few times by the cats...
Who ever said dogs do not get along with cats has been watching too many cartoons I've never had a dog who did NOT get along with the cats.
I just introduced our Dylan (Golden) to a new kitten just about the time you started this post. They are best of buds and where you find one, you'll find the other. In fact, as I type the kitten is lying in Dylan's tail!

Someone forgot to tell these two dogs and cats do not get along!
Shelby,

Using a golden retriever is cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Shelby,

Using a golden retriever is cheating.

I didn't know there was any other kind of dog! (JK of course!)

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
I have a GSD with a very strong prey drive. I got a cat from the shelter about a year ago. Fortuantely, I picked a larger (8-month-old) kitten, who had a chance against the dog. My dog is constantly bothering the cat but responds when I give her the "leave" command. My vet also pointed out that it is very important that the cat have "safe" areas where he or she can escape from the dog and remain safely until the dog loses interest (my cat--like many--ripped a whole underneath my bed and runs under the bed and climbs into the lining when the dog is too much for her. She also has the top of the washing machine as well as a couple of very high bookcases.)

With a very small kitten who has not yet mastered the art of self-preservation/defense, I agree with keeping the kitten separate for a while. I would keep introductions/encounters with the dog to a minimum and I would practice the leave command with your dog; let he or she know in no uncertain terms that he/she must learn to exercise restraint with the cat. There have to be consequences as well, especially if your dog doesn't respond to verbal chastisement; you can always verbally reprimand then do a "time out" when the dog gets too aggressive. Giving treats when the dog ignores the kitten or exercises the necessary self-control also works very well. I would verbally reprimand and if the dog responds by leaving the kitten alone, then reinforce the behavior with a treat. If not, do the time out, with no treats until the dog learns self-control.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post

I didn't know there was any other kind of dog! (JK of course!)
This guy will eventually be that mellow (I hope), but he will not stop moving long enough to introduce a cat.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5380_1199750232467_1189885661_633083_2381211_n.jpg (broken link)

And he might try to do something like this...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs125.snc1/5380_1199750312469_1189885661_633084_1257904_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM

It's really frightening how cute this dog is, even when he's holding a dead bird in his mouth.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's really frightening how cute this dog is, even when he's holding a dead bird in his mouth.
It's what he was born to do. I knda regrettted posting that one after the fact, even though this isn't the duck forum.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It's what he was born to do. I knda regrettted posting that one after the fact, even though this isn't the duck forum.
Sorry, I should not have used the word "frightening" in my statement. I love this picture, and there's nothin' wrong with a good retriever!
My GSD wishes she were a retriever; so far, however, it's only been raquetballs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs