U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,498,251 times

Advertisements

We got home from watching fireworks late Saturday evening to find a little dog there to greet us!! We live out in the middle of nowhere, so we couldn't figure out how she got there. What was really funny about it, was on the way home we were talking about getting a small dog (we already have 2 bigger dogs), then we get home and there it is!

Immediately my ten year old daughter wanted it for her own. She was a really playful friendly dog, maybe a Chihuaha/Corgi mix. I explained that we would need to check and see if she has an owner that was missing her. She stayed the night at the house and the next day I sent my son to check with the few neighbors that we have in the area. It turned out that she belonged to a neighbor of ours that lives over 2 miles away through the forest - - - - - and get this - - - - - she is 17 years old, partially blind and deaf, and she made the 2+ mile trek through the woods to our house!!! They thought she was locked up and left the house. Apparently someone probably lit off fireworks that scared her.

Can you imagine though???? What a tough little dog!! My daughter was a little sad, but now we are actively searching for a small dog - - - - so wish me luck!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:26 PM

14,785 posts, read 21,725,686 times
Oh I wish you luck have you tried some rescues in your area ? or maybe animal control ? always please try to adopt before buying from a breeder . Maybe some other poster knows of something in your area . good luck .

Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Oh, I pretty much avoid breeders (no offense to those that do that), I would much rather rescue a dog from the pound or humane society, or even an ad in the paper. I have my eye on a little guy through the SPCA - we'll see!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM

593 posts, read 2,726,838 times
Glad this one had a happy ending.

A lot of dogs get frightened during the loud booms of fireworks and get loose or run for their lives. I went to see fireworks with one of my dogs. I knew better than to do this but figured we'd be sitting inside the truck so I'll just keep the windows rolled up if the dog was frightened. Oh man. You wouldn't believe it. This dog climbed over to my side and got down underneath the steering where where I was sitting. This is a 50lb dog, mind you.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Glad this one had a happy ending.

A lot of dogs get frightened during the loud booms of fireworks and get loose or run for their lives. I went to see fireworks with one of my dogs. I knew better than to do this but figured we'd be sitting inside the truck so I'll just keep the windows rolled up if the dog was frightened. Oh man. You wouldn't believe it. This dog climbed over to my side and got down underneath the steering where where I was sitting. This is a 50lb dog, mind you.
We were going to take our dogs, but I am glad we decided against it! There was a poor dog there that must have been tied to a chair and got away, with the chair still attached! This poor dog came through our spot and got stuck between a log and a rock and was terrifed. We tried to get him out, but he was so scared that he wanted nothing to do with us. He got out about a minute later and took off, with his owner right behind him. I hope he was able to stop the poor dog. It definitely would have been better to leave him home.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 AM

593 posts, read 2,726,838 times
We you think about it...
Those loud booms really sound like cannons being fired and you know what else?... when you break the usual routine to go see the fireworks then you get stressed over finding a good place to see them and all the parking and traffic hassles, your dog senses this stress and I think it must feel to the dog like something really bad is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs