Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times

Advertisements

wow, my Malti-Poo, for the last few days, has gotten TOO aggressive and I mean vicious-seriously toward the puppy and the cat.
She and the cat have always gotten along. We had the cat a few years before bringing the malti-poo home and she (malti-poo)was 6 weeks old when we got her. Then when we got the chi pup a few months back she was curious at first, but always gentle and patient with her. There were the occassional growls if puppy got too close to a chew toy or something like that.
But since she got kennel cough and is still taking meds for that and is seeming almost well now, she's gotten so damned hateful.
She corners the cat and goes after her like a rabid dog.
She attacks the puppy for no apparent reason.
Growled at my hubby when he touched her a couple of times and when he picked her up a few times.

It's just so out of her character to be this way..............I'm freakin.
I never thought I would have a dog that I'm getting afraid of
Besides not understanding why she's doing this--IF she ever bites me..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
Call the vet and tell them what's happening. Could be a reaction to the meds or there could be something else wrong physically with the dog... they can't talk to tell you. Good luck! That would freak me out too!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,035 times
I agree, it sounds like she's in pain! Definitely have the vet check her out!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
I agree. It sounds like a dog in pain to me. Take her to the vet, get her examined.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Classic symptoms of being in pain and feeling miserable. Vet visit ASAP>

Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 AM

thanks all!
Took her to the vet first thing this morn. Vet seems to think an incident from a few days ago coupled with the cough med that had codeine in it may have triggered her behavior.
We have a nice privacy fenced backyard and the day Abbey was the most sick with her kennel cough and after having taken her 2x to the vet that day; I let her and the puppy out and before I knew what was happening-a neighbors dog had somehow gotten into our yard-went after the puppy, who began screaming to the high heavens.............alll the while the nieghbor's dog is going after the puppy. That set Abbey off and she went after neighbor's dog and tried to take it down. I was chasing my puppy to comfort her..............Abbey is going after danger dog and runs it out the hole it apparently came in through. WE promptly mended the hole.
Vet thinks Abbey is still traumatized and on guard as she can still hear that yapping dog through the fence all the time.When mine bark-I reprimand them and bring them in if the barking doesn't stop. My new neighbors()never seem to speak to their 3 dogs and so they bark as much and as long as they wanna. Also said stop the cough syrup (we already had) since the codeine might have contributed.
I dunno. I just know somethings gotta give. Vet is looking into various herbal things she might want to try her on to calm her. Said she'll get back with me about that. Meanwhile to monitor her behavior and when and if she does the aggressive thing ,to put her in her crate for a time out.
Kids!
neighbors who have dogs but pay no attention to them

Old 07-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Watch the Dog Whisperer on Animal Planet, You have let your dog become the dominant Dog, the Leader of the pack. YOU need to be the leader of the pack......Watch it and learn...........

Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 AM

I watch and you are quite wrong. She may be trying to be the leader of the pack but I assure you I am the leader of this pack and she will not win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Watch the Dog Whisperer on Animal Planet, You have let your dog become the dominant Dog, the Leader of the pack. YOU need to be the leader of the pack......Watch it and learn...........

Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Dream, I think you have identified the problem. There is an anti-anxiety med that vet can perscribe if it gets that bad. Meanwhile, like you are doing, watch them in the yard. Good lcuk and poor Abbey!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
My daughter in law has one of those and it thinks it can whip my sons Greyhound...Lucky for it the Greyhound just walks away..

Poor little thing doesn't even come up to the Greyhounds knees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs