Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:12 AM

369 posts, read 2,160,011 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what I should do....

Today I dropped off my dog at doggy day camp at petsmart.. The day camp is held in the same area as the pets hotel. When I walked into that area of the store, no one was at the front desk.. My dog and I were just waiting to be helped.. Meanwhile in the next room there were 2 dogs, the owners of both dogs, and a trainer.. They were practicing sit and stays.. One dog was a rotty, the other dog was as big as the rotty, but was white.. probably just a mut..

Anyways, they direct the dogs to sit, then proceed to walk away.. they walk out of the training room and then out of the pets hotel area and into the main part of the store..

Then all of a sudden BAM! Both dogs run out of the training room and jump my manchester terrier.. he's only 20 lbs.. I don't think the dogs were attacking him... but they were pretty rough... Then a few seconds later the trainer, the owners, and a petsmart worker rush in to break it up.. I was trying to, but couldn't separate the 3 dogs...

when all was said and done, my dog had an abrasion above his right eye.. it wasn't like a bleeding wound. it was more like a scrape.. it is the size of a nickel... all his fur was missing... you ever scrape an elbow or a knee? that's what it looked like....

The staff was apologetic... so where the owners.. despite all of this, I proceeded to check him into day camp... I usually never have a problem.. but man oh man it was a long walk home.. I'm wondering if my little baby is going to be all right...

I wonder where I go from here.. Do I just forget it and just accept the fact that my dog will probably have a bald spot on his face from now on? Does anyone know if fur grows back when an area gets skinned like that???

All I know is if my dog did this to a person, he'd be dead, and I'd be taken to the cleaners for a face wound/scar... This sucks..

I pay big bucks for my dog to attend day camp.. I shouldn't have to worry about something like this happening. Also, I don't want the other dogs to be punished.. Again, I didn't sense they were trying to kill my dog.. But they were all fired up, thats for sure... I just think they were put in a crappy situation....

What would you do if this happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,619,422 times
Sounds like that was a pretty scary situation. I hope everyone will view this as an important learning experience as it could have ended up worse!
As long as your little dog has nothing that requires vet attention I would leave be. I think the hair will eventually grown back. You may want to put a little something on it like a pure aloe.
Hope everyone is more cautious now.
Hope your doggie is ok!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
Do not let this go you must report it to the store manager so that this does not happen again .There are reasons for rules and this is why . I cannot tell you how this could have gone really wrong and you could be burying your dog and not worrying about a scrape . I would definately let someone higher up know what happening and maybe they will take extra precautions and will be told not to leave the dogs unattended . I would have not left my dog there though ever again , find another doggie daycare where they have enough staff to prevent this problem . good luck and i hope your doggie is okay .

Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 PM

369 posts, read 2,160,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Do not let this go you must report it to the store manager so that this does not happen again .There are reasons for rules and this is why . I cannot tell you how this could have gone really wrong and you could be burying your dog and not worrying about a scrape . I would definately let someone higher up know what happening and maybe they will take extra precautions and will be told not to leave the dogs unattended . I would have not left my dog there though ever again , find another doggie daycare where they have enough staff to prevent this problem . good luck and i hope your doggie is okay .

It's tough.. I really dont have a choice.. My dog has horrible separation anxiety.. He can't be left alone.. today we have some errands to run.. he had to go to day camp.. there are no other options in our area.. It blows...

Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Please report this to the store manager. Those employees were idiots.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,616,808 times
I agree...report it, your pet could have easily been seriously injured or worse.

The hair should grow back tho it MAY come in white...if your dog is young its less likely to come back lighter.

I think you should also at the least get your pets daycare for free for the day or a credit for another day. Absolutely this should NOT have happened and the store needs to be held accountable.

I am very thankful there were no serious injuries.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Agreed...the mgr. should be made aware of what transpired. This should never had happened...what if it had been a child?
I'm more than sure the hair will grow back...You may want to clean the area when he gets home and just make sure no infection sets in. But, I'm guessing he will be fine. Should anything at all come of the wound...make sure you present the vet bills to the MGR!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,841,161 times
Take a picture of the injury! Just in case!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
Did the trainer fill out a report of any kind? I too would talk to the mgr. so if you should have vet bills on this you can go to them to pay it. Just glad your baby is OK except for a scrape. The hair should grow back.. you might want to put neosporin on it.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,114,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
It's tough.. I really dont have a choice.. My dog has horrible separation anxiety.. He can't be left alone.. today we have some errands to run.. he had to go to day camp.. there are no other options in our area.. It blows...
Yes, it does "blow", for you and for the dog. Please don't forget that it's a very, very difficult way for BOTH of you to live.

While I have no comment to make about the incident, I would like to ask if you're working on treating this anxiety. Separation anxiety is not something just to be endured by either you or the dog. It requires treatment so that both of you can enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs