Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,872 times

Advertisements

My dog was originally diagnosed, about 3 months ago, with arthritis in his right front leg, but 3 months later, it's incredibly swollen and the vet said the xrays look like it's cancer. I don't want to waste money on a bone biopsy since I don't want to put him through chemo, but I am considering amputation because the leg is causing him so much pain. His personality seems just the same and he certainly still has an appetite, but he can hardly get around anymore because of that leg. He's 10, but acts (even hobbling on 3 legs) like he's a puppy, which is how he's always been. Has anyone had a dog with diagnosed bone cancer (and possibly elsewhere) that acts perfectly fine except for the affected limb? I am leaning towards amputation because it doesn't seem as though he's suffering or sick in any other way, but I'd hate to put him through that if the "real" sickness is just a few weeks away or if he's could still be eating and acting crazy even while he's dying of cancer. I just can't justify putting him down when he still has so much spirit and personality. He's 90 lbs lab/american bulldog mix and has never had any other health issues.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,130,991 times
IF he's in pain and your vet recommends amputation, the dog will do fine on 3 legs once he adjusts. but, why not do the biopsy and find out whether he does have cancer or not even if you don't plan on doing chemo. For one thing, if he does not have cancer, it's possible your vet will have other treatment options. And, if he does, you may change your mind about the chemo especially if the cancer progresses.

You should discuss all options, risks and benefits with your vet. If you are not satisfied with the answers or just want more alternatives you could consult a holistic vet for a 2nd opinion.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
I am so sorry about your dog. I doubt I would amputate, I might not even do chemo on a dog that old, both are extremely difficult on the animal. you should do a biopsy what if it isn't cancer? if he isn't suffering too much and it turns out to be cancer, why wouldn't you try the chemo before cutting off his leg? I am so sorry both of you are dealing with this.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
I am very sorry about your dog. As the others have said, do the biopsy. I have no idea about the chemo, but I do know that it affects people in different ways, so it probably is the same with dogs. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM

135 posts, read 388,871 times
Years ago we took in a stray who had been hit by a car in front of our house. Our intention was to get her broken leg healed and rehome her. Our vet at the time informed us that we should get her leg amputated since we weren't planning to keep her anyway, otherwise we were going to have to keep her kenneled and still for several weeks while it healed. Needless to say, we kenneled her and carried her out several times a day to potty. The suggestion to just amputate her leg because we weren't keeping her broke my heart, and I thought it was cruel. However, if amputating a cancerous leg (as opposed to a simple break) would give your dog a better quality of life and enable him to be pain free, I would. Just biopsy first and make sure its not just bad arthritis or a sprain.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Personally, if it were my dog, I'd get him/her a complete work-up, including the biopsy to verify if it is cancer and if so, to what extent it has spread through the body.

If you do not have 100% confidence in your vets ability to diagnose please take your dog to a veterinary school with an emphasis on K-9 cancer.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,992,366 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

I would recommend doing the biopsy. You mention the cost but the cost for amputation will be extensive. My dog was misdiagnosed with bone cancer after only an xray. With pain medication and rest, your dog may regain painfree use of his leg. The other thing is that if it is bone cancer, it may have already moved to the dogs other organs. We were told it spreads very quickly. Amputation would be to help ease the pain in your dog getting around, but most likely wouldn't stop the spread.

I believe that we were told that chemo was ineffective on bone cancer. I could be wrong though. My same dog was sadly diagnosed with lymphoma almost a year after the misdiagnosed bone cancer. We elected to try chemo. He did well with chemo and his quality of life was very good but he lived only 6 months from the time of diagnosis.

All the best.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,860,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

I would recommend doing the biopsy. You mention the cost but the cost for amputation will be extensive. My dog was misdiagnosed with bone cancer after only an xray. With pain medication and rest, your dog may regain painfree use of his leg. The other thing is that if it is bone cancer, it may have already moved to the dogs other organs. We were told it spreads very quickly. Amputation would be to help ease the pain in your dog getting around, but most likely wouldn't stop the spread.

I believe that we were told that chemo was ineffective on bone cancer. I could be wrong though. My same dog was sadly diagnosed with lymphoma almost a year after the misdiagnosed bone cancer. We elected to try chemo. He did well with chemo and his quality of life was very good but he lived only 6 months from the time of diagnosis.

All the best.
RedSoxFan is correct. Unfortunately, bone cancer is a very fast growing cancer.

I've seen many dogs with amputated legs, and they almost always recover quickly and do just fine. It really isn't a difficult surgery past the first few weeks, and I wouldn't hesitate it to suggest it for any animal dealing with a chronic painful condition like nerve damage.

However, bone cancer commonly spreads into the lungs. You should get an x-ray done of the lungs to see if there are any obvious masses. Even if there is nothing obvious, though, it may well have already spread and just be too small at that stage to see. The risk is that you amputate the leg, but the dog succumbs to the cancer a few months later.

If the dog were mine, I would be going to see an oncologist. But I could not do so and the vet had a very strong opinion that it was bone cancer, I would probably euthanize. But first I would try to control the pain as long as possible, which may involve some fairly heavy pain drugs- Rimadyl won't be enough.

Last edited by ParallelJJCat; 11-01-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,271,556 times
If you do decide on amputation, I want you to know that I have a three-legged Border collie. He was shot in the leg seven years ago by a former neighbor who said he thought he was a coyote ( a black and white coyote?).

When I rushed him to the vet, I was told I had to choose between a three-legged "Panda" or no Panda and I chose the amputation. It's his left front leg and he's done just fine - I really think it was harder on me than him. He still runs, herds the goats (when I let him), and even swims (the first time I let him swim, I was afraid he would just go around in circles, but that wasn't the case). The only problem he really has is peeing - he has a hard time lifting his leg without losing his balance.

Most people don't even realize at first he's "handicapped" because he gets around so well. It usually takes strangers a couple of minutes to realize he's missing a leg.

I'm hoping for the best for your dog.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
I'd pay for the biopsy. If it's cancer, there's no reason to amputate if you don't plan to treat the cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs