Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

My son is trying to figure out how to set up an invisible fence
when his property is bordered on one side by a river.

Does anyone here have ponds or rivers they have done with an invisible fence?? How did you include it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Is h
e committed to this fence? They don't keep other dogs/wildlife out. They don't keep your dog in if a really attractive thing is outside, like a dog in heat, but it will prevent the dog from coming back in. For everyone who loves them, there are 10 who don't.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
I've thought many times about doing the invisible fence thing.
But when my friends dog that had been controlled by invisible fence for over 3 years went on a dead run to get to something that we still don't know what it was going after, and got hit and killed by a car, I have given up the idea of an invisible fence.
An animals instinct can sometimes overcome training or controlling devices.
And like a previous poster said, it doesn't keep out other animals that might want to do harm to his pet.
I would rather have a physical barrier than to depend on an invisible fence.
Besides, my dog and I enjoy our walks together with just a leash.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I totally agree on the comments about the invisible fence but what does he want to do concerning the river? Let the dog into the river, stop the dog from going in etc?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I agree with everyone else. Invisible fences are so dangerous. A real barrier is going to be much more safe.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
I have two labs and I have the same issue...one of my boundary lines is a river. I think invisible fence is fabulous from all that I have talked to and seen. My dogs and I love going for walks however on a busy school night with soccer and all of the other family obligations...wouldn't it be nice just to let the dogs out without leashing them first? We do not have to worry about harm as we live in a peaceful, safe rural setting. The dogs currently come to work with us..but some days we are traveling and I think that invisible fence is a perfect solution to keeping them safe and happy at home outside...but the question remains..will the transmission work through a river? I am in need of how-to advice if anyone else out there has done such a thing.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
My sister and her husband had an invisible fence around a corner of their yard that had a waterfall and pond and beautiful garden it was to keep the dogs out. Worked with one dog and he would stay far away from that end of the yard. But it did not work for the Bernese as she thought laying in the water was a high enough of a reward so she crossed it and got her shock everyday until they just turned it off. So in my opinion they do not work well enough that I would risk my dogs life by having one. If the reward on the outside is good enough they will cross it but often will not come back into the yard as what reward is there in the yard to make the shock worth it? Dogs are very into self rewarding behaviors so if running free and chasing cars or dogs or what ever is worth it a shock will not stop them.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
I was doing some yard work when I first moved into this house and chopped and pulled up this red wire and thought it was odd....then i realized i chopped in half and pulled up the neighbor's invisible fence.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

whoops!!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM

141 posts, read 405,374 times
We've had an invisible fence for the past 9 years for our Lhasa. It has worked out wonderfully. He has the freedom to wander around the back of our home without being on a leash. The receiver has been on his collar since he was a puppy but I suspect that at this stage he really doesn't need it.

The yard backs up to a lake and the wire was just dropped into the water about a foot from the shoreline. We frequently are visited by ducks who stride across the land as if the deed was in their name. Ghengis, our Lhasa, races after them but stops when he gets to the edge of the property.

I have no idea if the fence prevents him from going into the water because he definitely is not a water dog. He fell into the pool when he was puppy and that experience soured him on areas of water larger than his dish.

The invisible fence gives a "buzz" sound quite a distance away from the edge. I have NEVER heard him yelp in pain. The sound is enough to remind him where his boundaries are.

The invisible fence has worked out wonderfully here. I wouldn't think of having a dog without it or a regular fence if that was a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs