Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 AM

17 posts, read 63,095 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have two American Bulldogs. 1 Male, 1 Female. They have both been through dog obiedience training, nothing more. I walk to male sometimes (I need to do this more, since weather is better I can) I don't walk the Female much becuase she's just crazy on the leash (she needs a lot of work, I'm going to start working on this..).

On one side of us we have a family that has 3 dogs. Behind us they have 1. Anytime all the animals are out, my Male will go up to the fence and in essence take control of the it. He will not let my Female near it, if she does come near it he attacks her. Sometimes she attacks first. I think(??) becuase she wants to be near the fence and the other dogs.

This sometimes happens when I feed them. I feed them in seperate rooms and if one comes near the other, the fight is on! Any ideas about how to try to fix this issue without getting rid of one of them, would be great.

Other details: Whenever they get in the same room, tails go up and ears back for the most part. It's like they just can't stand each other. Vet bills are just killing me.

Any links for good sites that talk about this? Anything? Any help would be great!

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Pick the one you like and keep it, find a good home for the other. I don't think you can teach them to like each other.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
They neutered ? You need to watch them all the time incase something real serious happens. Are they fixed or no ? Do you have asee thru or privacy fence ?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM

161 posts, read 384,286 times
You could look for someone who will do specialty training, one-on-one first and then incorporate the two dogs together. This will likely cost you a lot of money but will be beneficial to you and the dogs! The reality in "pit-bull" breeds is their tendency to be dog aggressive, they have very high prey drives and animal aggression. If your dogs are not fixed they need to be, immediately. Since you have a male and female, it's most likely a dominance issue between the two of them. In my experience, females tended to be more dominant and that's not always a good mix with a naturally dominant male. This is something you MIGHT be able to fix with training but theres a good chance they just don't get along. I highly recommend a trainer who can work on controlling them individually and then do in-house training with both of them. Make this a priority, they are very strong dogs and will not back down once a fight has started, one of them will get hurt very badly if you do not address this immediately. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,874 times
some dog schools have private trainers that can come to your house and help you fix household problems.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
This is not good..even if these 2 grew up together...one day 1 is going to kill the other. NOT a breed thing its a Domonance problem...Find 1 a good home.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Maybe the Dog Whisperer's website could help? He says you have to become the pack leader, that the dogs want a leader.

Cesar Millan - Cesar's Tips

Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 63,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They neutered ? You need to watch them all the time incase something real serious happens. Are they fixed or no ? Do you have asee thru or privacy fence ?

Sorry for the late response all. Yes both dogs are fixed. I don't really want to get rid of one. IF I have to then I will This just reaks of failure to me. Other inoformation, My Female attacked the male the first day I brought him home.

I know this isn't the answer, but what's everyones thought about muzzeling them when there out together? At least it will cut down ton the vet visits. I know this isn't a way for the dogs to live.

I'll check into trainers! Let's see what they can do.

Thanks all, any other ideas, please let me know!

Jim

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Devide the yard in 1/2 or invest in a kennel..set it up in a corner where the dog will have lots of room. Take turns with whos inside it! But it only takes 1 time & 1 dead!!
How long have you had them?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
If it is that bad, and costly, I would have a trainer come to the home, and then make a decision to let one go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs