Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times

Advertisements

Help I need advice. I have been a bad parent to my dog and I have fed her way too much over the years. I need to get her back on track and help her lose weight. She is a pug. What is the recommended amount of dog food? Should I cut her back all at once, which would be like starving her? Or do I cut her back gradually?

I know it's a terrible thing I did to her so I just need help on fixing my mistake even though I knew better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
I'm glad you're cutting back, Lisa.

You don't want her to have trouble with her hips or heart later in life.

I would cut back all at once and get her on a weight-loss diet. Not a crash diet, but one of steady weight loss. And take her on longer walks, too.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
The pugs I know, both at work and the owner's and manager's pugs eat 1/3 cup a day of Canidae or Eagle Natural.

Do not drop her back all at once, you need to cut back gradually from what you're feeding now.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
My pug stays a nice 16 pounds, but it's not without a lot of work.

Figure that at her ideal weight your dog will need 35 calories/pound/day to stay at her ideal weight. Now look at your dog food: see how many calories it has per cup. For ease of calculation, let's say that your dog's ideal weight is 20 pounds. That means she needs 35 x 20, or 700 calories/day.

If your dog food has 350 calories/cup, she'll need two cups per day (with NO treats or any other food) to maintain her 20 pounds.

If you want her to lose weight you need to feed her LESS than what she needs; you want to give her fewer calories than she uses every day. You might want to give her a regular meal in the AM and then in the afternoon, substitute steamed fresh or frozen (NOT CANNED: too much salt) string beans with a big spoon of pumpkin and 2 tablespoons of kibble sprinkled over the top. She can have TONS of string beans - they'll fill her up and dogs seem to love them.

This is how I maintain my pug's 16 pounds. He gets lots of treats, but I take that into account!

In summary: feed less, not less often. Substitute string beans and pumpkin for a meal - they love it and do lose weight!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I have a friend that fosters sick old cocker spaniels. Most have cancer or are blind and almost everyone of them has been over weight. She gets them back to a normal weight by feeding them less dog food and adding veggies so they feel full from the fiber. It has worked everytime for her. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
WWW- Thanks. I would love to take her on longer walks but it is very steep here. She will be fine on the way down and I will have to carry her up on the way back to the top. This is our first winter not being spent in a campground. So no daily walks. It's killing both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The pugs I know, both at work and the owner's and manager's pugs eat 1/3 cup a day of Canidae or Eagle Natural.

Do not drop her back all at once, you need to cut back gradually from what you're feeding now.
Thank you. I think my pug would die at 1/3 cup a day but I will cut her back slowly and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
My pug stays a nice 16 pounds, but it's not without a lot of work.

Figure that at her ideal weight your dog will need 35 calories/pound/day to stay at her ideal weight. Now look at your dog food: see how many calories it has per cup. For ease of calculation, let's say that your dog's ideal weight is 20 pounds. That means she needs 35 x 20, or 700 calories/day.

If your dog food has 350 calories/cup, she'll need two cups per day (with NO treats or any other food) to maintain her 20 pounds.

If you want her to lose weight you need to feed her LESS than what she needs; you want to give her fewer calories than she uses every day. You might want to give her a regular meal in the AM and then in the afternoon, substitute steamed fresh or frozen (NOT CANNED: too much salt) string beans with a big spoon of pumpkin and 2 tablespoons of kibble sprinkled over the top. She can have TONS of string beans - they'll fill her up and dogs seem to love them.

This is how I maintain my pug's 16 pounds. He gets lots of treats, but I take that into account!

In summary: feed less, not less often. Substitute string beans and pumpkin for a meal - they love it and do lose weight!
Sounds good thanks. I only have canned beans right now so maybe I'll see about the pumpkin. That I have on hand.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:12 PM

68 posts, read 373,652 times
Cripes , Do NOT feed that stuff to Nikki. I will not promote health in anyway because it is all species inappropriate junk

Your little wolfen is a CARNIVORE and should be fed appropriatly on raw meat with a little bone and later add a small amount of organ .................. All raw and un processed.

The franken food aka crap in a bag aka dog food is processed junk .

Nikki is 'fluffy' from trying to digest this stuff that is putting her poor little pancreas under great strain over producing digestive hormones in an attempt to use the food she is being given and a lot of dogs have organ failure because of this.

Carbs result in insulin response which results in fat storage and a myriad of modern diseases

Just as we are sold a bill of goods of how healthy processed foods are for us and look at the majority of people being overweight and fluffy from ingesting all the carbs and junk.

Nikki looks carb fluffy like most people.

Check out this group it is excellent for newbies to get questions answered by long time raw feeders, vets, human medical professionals and vet techs on board.
Mod cut: no links to blogs.
Raw chick breast w bone & skin is and excellent beginners food. Use it for 2 to 4 weeks before slowly adding a new meat protein ( one at a time every couple weeks).
Give her 2 % of her ideal bodyweight everyday inone feeding preferably at night so she can sleep and digest happily all night. THe fluff will gradually go away.... if not adjust the amount down a little.

She will not be huingry but needs to kick the sugar carb habit just as you would so no treats or anymore 'Doom Nuggets' tm@Carrie
Switch all at once. Donate whatever dog food you have to a shelter.

I have fed this way for many years and my dogs never need a vet barring an emergency. Not teeth cleaning either which sadly is expected by vets when the dog is 2 or 3 yrs old BECAUSE OF THE DOG FOOD ! ! !

If you have any questions at all just fire away

sienna and the kitchen wolves and raw fed kitties
Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-03-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
The vets actually sell a diet product, Slentrol. You add it to the normal amount of food and the dog gradually eats less. It can take up to 1 yr. This stuff works on their brain somehow. I bought it for my fat Layla right before she had the life-threatening blockage and surgery. I've been too afraid to try it yet but I need to. A little vomiting may be a side effect, which is why I've waited.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM

68 posts, read 373,652 times
Tonight my dogs are getting pork shoulder roast with bone @ 99cents a pound which is cheaper than one of the so called premium ki**les.

Kitty is having a chunk of the pork roast. She was a good girl last night and ate an entire raw drumstick .................. love my little black carnivore kitty :-)

The 19 yo boy kitty gets the same except his chicken leg is smashed with a hammer first ......... due to having lost some jaw strength from his advanced age.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
Pastry is not good for any dog and Pugs tend to be overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs