Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 12:52 AM

513 posts, read 800,370 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I noticed a lump on my Saint Bernards head. I've been keeping an eye on it and it hasn't gotten bigger or smaller. The other day, however, I noticed there was something liquid coming out. Not a lot, just a drop or two. I shaved it to get a closer look. It isn't a different color then her skin, it is also lumpy and not even. The leak was coming from a hole that looks like a tiny puncture that goes deep into the head. Nothing has come out since. She doesn't seem bothered by it unless you touch it, but I don't know if that's because it hurts or she just doesn't like people touching it (she tried to wiggle out of cleaning her eyes too, and if I try and look closer at the bump she tries to wiggle out the same way.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5652
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	136488
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
My Labrador had a cyst that size that eventually grew impressively huge. We tried to treat it non-surgically with topical and oral medications, but it got really gross eventually and constantly oozed. I found a vet who did the surgery with sedation instead of general anesthesia for $300. Moral of this story: It pays to shop around. All other vets quoted $800 to $1,000 and wanted to do general anesthesia, which I consider a risk for such a minor procedure.

Keep in mind, my dog's lump was part of his skin--in that it could be wiggled around slightly. It wasn't anchored deeply to the skull, which would be a more serious lump and surgery.

What concerns me is you are describing what you think it's a puncture. It's possible she got injured and an infection is raging. I'd go to the vet and try topical and oral antibiotics. If it's a deep puncture, you can't treat it with home remedies.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,773,212 times
It might be nothing but should be looked at by a vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs