Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times

Advertisements

I know Artie doesn't have bulimia, but:
  • Yesterday morning, a couple of hours after breakfast, I found 2-3 pieces of his food, which he'd upchucked, on the floor. I didn't think anything of it. Just cleaned up.
  • This morning, again, a few hours after breakfast, I found a PILE of his food that he'd upchucked.
On the few occasions that he's vomited, I can hear him "bringing it up" but I didn't hear him the last two days. I must've been talking on the phone or something, and I was upstairs, while he does "the deed" downstairs ON THE LIVING ROOM RUG. But anyway...

Both mornings, the kibble pieces were completely intact.

Part of me thinks that he's sensing that something's going on -- that we're going on vacation and he's going somewhere without us (he will be staying with his previous owner-mama). I got this idea of him feeling stressed because I was tense yesterday morning about all that I had to get done, and this morning he saw me take out his vacation duffle bag.

Or, could it be that he just ate his food too quickly?

I don't think it's due to his IBD antibiotics since tomorrow is the last day of the 10-day round, and I would have thought he'd be pukey on the first days of the meds, rather than at the tail end.

I'm especially intrigued by the fact that the kibbles are intact, which makes me think that the meds and the stress are not the reason, and that he was just eating too darn quickly.

Any thoughts?

PS. I bet you're impressed that this is about puke and not about poop, huh??

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-20-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,382 times
Oh, poor Artie and his bodily functions! LOL

Tonka occasionally throws up his entire meal, and I believe it is because he downs it sooo fast. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say about this!

There are days when I think about changing his name to "Boot and Rally". After he throws up his food, he bounces back immediately and starts asking for more kibble. I'm like, do you not realize that you just threw everything you ate back up???

Geez, these hounds are NUTS.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM

605 posts, read 2,990,334 times
I've had cats that eat too fast and upchuck, but that seems to happen immediately after they've eaten - not a few hours later.

Our old dog would on occasion have a problem with drinking large amounts of water after a meal and that would cause him to barf later after he'd eaten. I think that overwhelmed his tummy and food would come up.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I've had cats that eat too fast and upchuck, but that seems to happen immediately after they've eaten - not a few hours later.

Our old dog would on occasion have a problem with drinking large amounts of water after a meal and that would cause him to barf later after he'd eaten. I think that overwhelmed his tummy and food would come up.
He could have puked right after eating. I only found it a couple of hours later when I came downstairs.

Hmmm...

Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Oh, poor Artie and his bodily functions! LOL

Tonka occasionally throws up his entire meal, and I believe it is because he downs it sooo fast. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say about this!

There are days when I think about changing his name to "Boot and Rally". After he throws up his food, he bounces back immediately and starts asking for more kibble. I'm like, do you not realize that you just threw everything you ate back up???

Geez, these hounds are NUTS.
Right? If it's not one thing, it's another with him. Which end would you like stuff of today?

LOL!!!! @ Boot and Rally.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
You can slow down his eating by putting something in the center of his food bowl...a rock...or anything he won't think is a toy or eat! They actually sell bowls for this...food bowl with raised center.
So...any "squeaks" in that puke?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
You can slow down his eating by putting something in the center of his food bowl...a rock...or anything he won't think is a toy or eat!
So...any "squeaks" in that puke?
The thing is, he's never been a good eater. It's just the last few weeks that he's been eating like a superstar... fast and all of it.

That's why I'm thinking that it's just too much, too quickly, for him.

My friend has a specially designed bowl with something that juts out the middle to slow down his dog's eating. I might get one of those when I get back from vacation, if this continues.

No squeaking puke, thankfully. I didn't find it in the poop, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there -- he poops most often in the early morning and the evening (it's dark both of those times). I think he probably did eliminate it.

He's such a difficult guy sometimes...

Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Part of me thinks that he's sensing that something's going on -- that we're going on vacation and he's going somewhere without us (he will be staying with his previous owner-mama). I got this idea of him feeling stressed because I was tense yesterday morning about all that I had to get done, and this morning he saw me take out his vacation duffle bag.
One of ours simply doesn't eat when the travel items come out. Then, when the plastic bags for liquids and the laptops get shut down, she won't drink either. It isn't until the vet-tech/pet-sitter shows up that she is back to normal.

And yes, your projection of being tense can certainly be sensed by Artie. All Artie knows is that a change is coming... same with dogs that can sense the barometric pressure changes and hunker down.

Nothing to worry about. Just be calm and your family member will likely sense that as well. Bon Voyage!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Oh, PC turns into such a drama queen when the luggage comes out! Unfortunately for him, we've been traveling a lot lately so poor thing is always stressed! Last time I took it out, he moped around the house for 2 days, but perked up after realizing that we're not dropping him off at the sitter's and he's in fact coming along!

And I'm shocked you've never seen intact kibble! Bulldogs don't chew. Any time PC eats kibble and vomits, it looks just like it did before it went in, only slimier. He then tries to recycle it, but I usually catch him in the act! I've seen other Bulldogs at the park puke after playing too roughly, and the kibble is completely intact as well. They just swallow their food, but the vet said it's one of the breed traits.

Artie just needs a mama hug and some kisses. It's a good thing you're preparing him for the trip now, given that in February you'll be gone again.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
[quote=MAK802;11707769].....
They just swallow their food, but the vet said it's one of the breed traits.

Hmm... sounds like a human male trait as well
Swear the way my hubby eats, you'd wonder if he really was chewing his food. Maybe he's part Bulldog too?

My one dog, Minnie would chow her food down too and then go downstairs and barf it up. We've done the thing w/ putting a ball in her bowl to slow her butt down, [figuratively speaking]. She was a rescue among many and maybe there was an issue of not knowing when she'll eat again and if she'd be in competition, but she knows with us that's not an issue. As long as she's been w/ us. She really hasn't done that in awhile though. Other thing we suspected was a sensitive tummy. She's grown accustomed now to her food and all but sometimes when she gets something she deems really yummy, she'll chow down. Only now she doesn't do the barf thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs