Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM

605 posts, read 2,995,865 times

Advertisements

Many of you have read how frustrated I had been with crate training my puppy. My plastic crate was too big and while I tried to block it off with things (I used a smaller cat carrier) I didn't feel it was safe because he could tip it and the Kong would get behind the carrier. Plus, he would still pee in it about half the time. My late dog trained fine in the plastic crate so I thought it would work for this puppy....nope.

This past weekend I bought a smaller wire crate with a divider. The difference is night and day. He willingly goes into it and sleeps. He has never peed in it (but we've only had it a few days, so I hesitate to post that). I have even put a fleece piece inside for bedding and no pee. he still whines a bit when he goes in, but he doesn't paw desperately at it trying to get out.

I believe he was put in a plastic crate at the shelter and learned to pee inside. I think this wire crate feels more open and more like a bed to him. He could barely see the holes in the plastic crate because they were slightly above his eye-level. He may have felt trapped and scared. The wire design is open and he can see all around him.

I'm happy. I just posted this in case someone else is having problems crate training with a plastic crate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,622,449 times
Dash too preferred a wire crate to a plastic crate when I first got him but eventually he would use either as I have both. Jazz loves her plastic crate but is OK in the wire one but given a choice picks the plastic. My wire crate is large so that both Jazz and Dash could go in it at the same time at agility. Good thing it is large as it is a great size for Dazzle as he is a long tall dog. Different dogs seem to like different crates for what ever reasons.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,141,691 times
Congratulations, Hanna, on finding the solution! That's terrific!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,507,365 times
Great news! Your diligence paid off! I'm betting you are right....he related the plastic crate and the shelter, as I'm sure,to not the best of times....Good for you for figuring it out!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,970,159 times
So happy it's working out!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,689,329 times
Word of advice!
Buy the biggest and most expensive crate there is. Those cheaply made thin wired ones can kill your dog. I know of a story where a 40 lb pitbull mix tried to escape out of one and was able to work her head thru the top of the crate and could not get it back thru. She strangled herself! Those cheap thin wire ones can be snapped the way you would close it by a dog. The top part can be moved by the dog and the clip that holds it freed and the dog gets strangled. They should not sell those cheap flimsy ones. Make sure you get a heavy wired one and a crate can never be toooo big for your dog. The more room they have the happier they are. Most dogs do not like being confined in small crates, they like to move around somewhat.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
Many of you have read how frustrated I had been with crate training my puppy. My plastic crate was too big and while I tried to block it off with things (I used a smaller cat carrier) I didn't feel it was safe because he could tip it and the Kong would get behind the carrier. Plus, he would still pee in it about half the time. My late dog trained fine in the plastic crate so I thought it would work for this puppy....nope.

This past weekend I bought a smaller wire crate with a divider. The difference is night and day. He willingly goes into it and sleeps. He has never peed in it (but we've only had it a few days, so I hesitate to post that). I have even put a fleece piece inside for bedding and no pee. he still whines a bit when he goes in, but he doesn't paw desperately at it trying to get out.

I believe he was put in a plastic crate at the shelter and learned to pee inside. I think this wire crate feels more open and more like a bed to him. He could barely see the holes in the plastic crate because they were slightly above his eye-level. He may have felt trapped and scared. The wire design is open and he can see all around him.

I'm happy. I just posted this in case someone else is having problems crate training with a plastic crate.
Nice job, Hanna.

Keep using the divider until two weeks after you think it's safe to remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs