U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,082,131 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, my husband and I are from Florida, but we are living in Draper, Utah (right outside of Salt Lake City) right now. We live up on a mountain, and I mean on top of it. From the valley you can see a row of houses on the very top of the mountain, that's the neighborhood that we are living in right now. Needless to say, on top of a mountain, in SLC, Utah, it gets COLD! It's also like a desert out here. We hardly ever rain (the rainy season is when it's snowing)! And coming from Florida, that's something you really notice. On this mountain it's like barren. Well, compared to what we are used to anyway. There aren't trees, there's Scrub Oak (a big bush type plant), dirt and rocks. Not to mention, there are wild animals up here. I have heard that Mountain Lions live up here, but I have never seen one. I have however, heard and actually seen a Coyote (File:Canis latrans.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I was outside on the little porch that's off of our bedroom reading and I saw a Coyote come out of the bushes across the street from the house, walk on the sidewalk for a few yards, then go back into the bushes again (across the street from the house is just empty, no houses).

So yeah, this is not a good area for any domestic animal to be left outside or to get lost! IMHO anyway. But, for some reason, I have seen more stray dogs (well, I don't know if we should be calling them run aways or strays, they definitely have homes somewhere around here, but they are obviously lost) here, in the short time that I have been here, than I ever saw anywhere else! We have seen a stray Bulldog, a stray Min Pin, a stray Yellow Lab, a stray black and white Border Collie, etc, etc, etc! And, a neighbors German Pointer is always getting out of their garage (where he is always kept ) and for some reason always runs right to our house! lol! We always just put him on a leash and take him home. Again, and again, and again! Every time we see a stray we try to get it to come to us. I can't stand to see stray dogs, it breaks my heart and there's no way I could just leave it and not at least try to help in some way! But, no matter how had we try, even if we have food with us, we cannot get these dogs to come to us! And it's pointless to try to catch them because they just run, and I don't want to scare them so I don't go chasing them all around. We were able to get one to come to us, out of all of the strays that we've seen. It was a young, male Yellow Lab with no collar on. He was so cute and so sweet but he seemed so scared. We got him to come to us, gave him some treats and water, made him a soft little bed in our garage and stayed with him while we waited for the Animal Services lady to come from her home to pick him up and take him the the Humane Society. Later on we saw a lady in our neighborhood walking that same dog. We have several Labs in our neighberhood, especially Yellow Labs, but there was no question, that was the dog we found.

Anyway, I hate that there are so many strays around here! I wish that there was something that I could do about it. And you know what I think might have something to do with it? All these people that don't think they need to follow the leash laws and just walk there dogs all around here with no leash! Their dog will be 20 yards ahead of them, and around a curve or over a hill, so now they can't even see their dog! I hate that, and I'm thinking that maybe those same irresponsible owners (that walk their dogs with no leash)are the people that are losing their dogs. So, I wanted to get opinions on this. Is there anything that you can think of that I could possibly do about this? I mean, especially with winter coming, very quickly, I am stressing about this. I'll go door to door and talk to people if I have to. I can't imagine stray dogs up here in the winter!
Do you think maybe I should talk to the Humane Society and see if they could give me some kind of flyer type things to take door to door so maybe people would at least think about their dogs for a minute? Or do you think I should type something up and take it door to door? I would have already done something like this if I could think of what to type. I guess I could type up something about how bad being out in the snow for a long period of time is for a dog. And maybe add in what kind of animals there are around here that could kill their poor dogs. I know I probably won't change anything, but at least I'll feel a little better. Like I at least tried to do something. I just want people to at least think about their dogs and how horrible it would be if their dog ran away or got lost or loose, especially on top of a mountain in the winter! I know I'm probably being stupid about this, but does anyone have any suggestions, anything to add or any opinions?

Also, I just wanted to say again, that 99% of these dogs are scared of people for some reason, that's the main reason I'm worried. These dogs will get lost in the winter and won't let anyone help them. They would definitly die, no question about it. When we got that Yellow Lab to come to us and called Animal Services to take him to the Humane Society, the lady that came to our house was beyond nice! She thanked us about a hundred times for getting the dog off the street and then she told us that she gets tons of calls about stray up here (on the mountain), and by the time she gets there, it's normally too late. They are gone, or even worse! Oh, and that reminds me, another thing that is really bad for strays, or lost dogs, up here is that they can easily get hit by a car! Any road up and around a mountain is going to be really hilly and really curvy. The roads in our neighborhood, especially in 3 specific spots that I can think of, are just set up for someone to accidentally hit an animal! You just have to go really slow and keep an eye out, which most people do not do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

142 posts, read 563,384 times
I see stray/loose/lost dogs all the time around my neighborhood and can rarely get them to come to me. They seem petrified of people. The only thing I can think to do is call animal control to patrol the area. It is very possible that the dogs you are seeing are being dumped there by their previous "owners"

Old 10-08-2009, 03:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,881,958 times
I agree that these dogs are likely "dumps" and have reason to be afraid due to folks abuse of them .. AND this also why farmers have a shoot shovel shut up policy .. they have to AC wont do much about county strays and the dogs do suffer to the point they pack up to hunt and run cattle/sheep.. .. and yes its sad .. and makes me mad as the dickens that people are so mean ..

Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 64,838,362 times
I would not type up something myself b/c unless these dogs are puppies, they have lived around you for a while - unless they are true strays. You will just offend the people you want to get to help the dogs. Call that lady back and ask her what you can do.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 PM

691 posts, read 2,297,503 times
Dumped dogs get skittish, and are difficult to catch, especially dogs that have not formed a bond with a human, and do not see humans as a source of comfort, food, and safety. Once there was a young greyhound mix, that took me almost three weeks to catch, and she only came close to me because she liked my dog, Sam. She had a collar on, that was almost cutting into her skin.

Dogs that are "lost" are usually bonded with humans, and will easily come to a person, and are usually relieved that someone is around to take care of them. Recently I was driving, and saw a dog, he was alone, and no houses around. I stopped, and whistled, and he came over pretty fast, and was happy to get in the car. I called the number on his tag, and he had been lost for a day, he got out of the yard somehow. It was obvious that this was a well cared for dog, who saw humans as friendly.

Too bad everyone does not take care of their pets.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,023,574 times
What a tough situation. I know it is awful to have to see this every day. It certainly puts a crimp in you having a good day. If you are willing to make a lot of effort--and it seems you are--maybe over time you could affect the culture there. Are these people transients or fairly long-term? If long-term, you might be able to get to know them and find out what exactly is going on. Is it dumping, carelessness, just owned dogs being allowed to roam, or a combination.

Willl law enforcement enforce the leash laws if reported? Where do they take the dogs? Is there a fine for the owners. Get info and then plot a strategy whether it be to call the Humane officer or the AC officer whenever you see a dog loose. If you think the dog will end up being put down, maybe you could find rescue groups who would work with you over time. As people realize the dogs are disappearing maybe those who care will cease and desist and maybe the humane and rescue groups will keep helping with new dumpees.

It seems to me you need some allies. A network and contacts that can help might be the way to start out.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,082,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
I see stray/loose/lost dogs all the time around my neighborhood and can rarely get them to come to me. They seem petrified of people. The only thing I can think to do is call animal control to patrol the area. It is very possible that the dogs you are seeing are being dumped there by their previous "owners"
I don't think they were dumped, at least not all of them. Whoever owned the Min Pin and the Bulldog put up lost dog signs. We called these people and told them that we had seen their dogs many times in our area, but couldn't catch them. I don't know if they ended up getting their dogs or not, but the lost dog signs stayed up for a long time after that, and we just stopped seeing the dogs eventually. Also, we had seen the black and white Border Collie being walked around our neighborhood several times before we ever saw him running around loose. I don't know, I guess they could have been dumped, but it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, it doesn't make sense to me to dump any dog any where for any reason, by why wouldn't people dump them in the valley if they are going to dump them somewhere?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM

691 posts, read 2,297,503 times
I think that people bring the dogs up to that nieghborhood, because it is affluent, and maybe the people dumping the dogs think that they will be adopted more easily in a wealthy area, Draper, Sandy, rather than leaving a dog in Rose Park or Kearns.

I think that many people in Utah have the "Gosslin" mentality, a dog is an accessory for kids, so they adopt a dog/puppy for the kids, and realize that the dog is too much work, and decide to just get rid of it. Lots of families in Utah. Or who knows, maybe the dog was too expensive, or whatever..who knows what people who don't care of animals think...

I knew this family in Utah, they would get a dog from the shelter, keep it for awhile, then if they went on a trip or something, they would get rid of the dog, and then, just go to the shelter and get a new dog when they came back from the trip. Go figure that out...We lived by them for about 3 years, we had one dog, they had like 10 dogs, one after another, during the same time frame. Whatever.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:37 AM

13,842 posts, read 38,482,919 times
Could it be these are Not stray or dumped dogs? Before Leash laws in my area I use to turn my gang lose every evening for a good run! NO they would not go to anyone! But they would come if I called them! Most times they come home within the hour tho!! Anyway IF the dogs seem healthy I would just leave them alone.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 30,688,400 times
First find out about your laws and if there is a leash law in effect where you are. If not contact that lady you spoke with from the Human Society how to go about getting one enacted. Secondly, every dog where I live MUST have a license or the owner is fined. It is easy for them to send out something to each licensed dog owner via a list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs