Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times

Advertisements

Whelp as the first step towards me actually fostering a dog full time I'm baby sitting for a foster that is going out of town for 3-4 days.

Going well enough so far. The foster Sergeant just got fixed and before this was a stray. He is pretty lean and scarred up so you can tell he had it pretty tough. He's rough around the edges but is getting along well enough.

Harper is the one on the right and Sergeant is the one on the left. They swapped bones and are doing well enough. Sergeant has a pretty heavy case of toy aggression but it has only been an issue with me so far (when he gets something he shouldn't). It hasn't shown itself between them yet though as there are plenty of toys and whatnot around for them to share.

Of course it is all personal taste/preference but the collar came off pretty quick. I'm not a big fan of chokes or teeth on my collars.

Last edited by TomSD; 10-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Don't know my right from my left. :p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Whelp as the first step towards me actually fostering a dog full time I'm baby sitting for a foster that is going out of town for 3-4 days.

Going well enough so far. The foster Sergeant just got fixed and before this was a stray. He is pretty lean and scarred up so you can tell he had it pretty tough. He's rough around the edges but is getting along well enough.

Harper is the one on the left and Sergeant is the one on the right. They swapped bones and are doing well enough. Sergeant has a pretty heavy case of toy aggression but it has only been an issue with me so far (when he gets something he shouldn't). It hasn't shown itself between them yet though as there are plenty of toys and whatnot around for them to share.

Of course it is all personal taste/preference but the collar came off pretty quick. I'm not a big fan of chokes or teeth on my collars.
Awww, such handsome lads! Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Doh how did I do that? It is the other way around, lol. Harper is on the right and Sergeant (the foster) is on the left with his back to the camera.

It is kind of funny really besides the occasional bit of dominance play they are getting along fine. Sergeant has attached himself at my hip though and Harper doesn't trust Sergeant out of his sight so now I have two big dogs trailing me like ghosts.

I guess I can get where Sergeant is coming from though. He just came off the street, did the shelter thing then the boarding and nut snip thing then finally into a loving foster's house only to be shuffled off again to here. It is just good to know he has a new happier life now.

Looks like there is an adoption event on Sunday. I'll try to make it so he can get seen even if I don't know much about him.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You and the foster parent are doing a good thing! They look enough alike to be brothers. Tired dog = good dog!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM

They are very similar in color but I really see the mix Harper has when they are standing next to each other. Harper is broader in the shoulders and his head is freaking huge compared to Sergeants.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Whelp Sergeant isn't cat friendly, lol. His prey instinct is WAY too high. The cat gets to stay in the bedroom this weekend.

And speaking of cats... walking them together is like trying to herd cats, heh.

They've become buds for the most part though which at least makes having them in the house bearable. Besides the toy aggression and occasional dominance play they just chill out together.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Awww, it's a though life <G>. Very nice photos and very cute dogs. BTW, I agree w/ you about the prong collar, they don't need it at home when they're relaxing (unless he's actually in training), much more comfortable for him to lay down and play w/ toys w/o it on ;-)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You should adopt Sergeant! Harper and Sergeant belong together!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM

I prefer not to use them even when training. I would imagine there are cases where it becomes necessary but it seems to me most of the time they are overkill and/or are used wrong.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You should adopt him! They belong together!

The prey drive is a deal breaker but even if he was perfect I would rather leave the spot open for fostering so I can help more than just one dog find a home. I can do two, even if the second is always a work in progress, but three would be too much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs