Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,979 times

Advertisements

I have thought about getting a pig before...and this video made me want one even more!!!!! Purina Animal All-Stars on Yahoo! Video (http://video.yahoo.com/network/100000086?v=5901903&l=100000085 - broken link) does anyone know if dogs typically get along with pigs though? Seems like it would be a really good pet, but I would be worried about the dogs and the pig getting along, also, I already have three dogs....not sure if it would be too much, and I want kids one day...does anyone on here have a pig and a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,826 times
Both dogs and pigs are social animals and you would have to set the tone of any interactions in your home. My intact Vizsla thought he could make a love match with one of those piglets that the kids get from the fair. Pig didn't much like it. But my SIL farm pigs were very friendly towards the dog. Unfortunately he got zapped by the electric fence and now he avoids pigs like the plaque!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 PM

192 posts, read 618,238 times
I used to have a pig and he got along with my dogs, goats, ducks. My mom wouldnt let him live inside, though....Id love to get another potbelly though once I get a house, though. Theyre very smart and easy to housebreak and really are not dirty animals at all...

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Read the last three paragraphs on this webpage:

Pigs and Dogs (http://www.potbellypigpets.com/panqu4.htm - broken link)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,048 times
I used to have a pot bellied pig, he was so much fun! He roamed our property along with the dogs and cats. We had horses too, but I never did see him go in the horse pasture. I have a 8mm tape somewhere of Nick-the-pig and my puppy Callie. She was tugging on his tail for all she was worth with fierce growls and Nick just kept going about his business. It was truly too cute. I had up to 4 dogs as well as Nick and never did have any problem. Nick was extremely gentle. He loved a good belly rub and would literally fall over on his side to present his tummy. He loved to untie shoe laces and he loved to steal strawberries from the garden! He never did root around in the garden or destroy anything. He was a great pet.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
does anyone on here have a pig and a dog?
It's a very broad question - a bit like asking if anyone here has cats and dogs get along. Some do while others do not.

It takes a pack of good sized, muscular dogs to bring down a pig and even then it usually requires human intervention to finish it off. Do not underestimate the damage a pig can do should it feel threatened.

It's a situation that would require well-trained/obedient dogs as well as very careful forethought - not to mention local zoning/deed restriction issues (pigs are usually at the top of the list). Last time I checked, pot-bellied pig rescues were overflowing because people had not fully researched and appreciated what keeping a pig entails.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
It takes a pack of good sized, muscular dogs to bring down a pig and even then it usually requires human intervention to finish it off.
One dog can kill a pig.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
My gf uses her dogs to hunt wild boar. This guy bet her his Pet dog would Not go after or harm a pig! He had this dog since she was 5 weeks old 5 months ago he signed her papers to my friend...not only did his 3 yr old dog catch the pig she Killed it! BTW the bet was Not for her to get the dog! He told her that she take the dog or he was going to kill her [the dog]!! Stupid Stupid people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs