Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you get your dog?
pet store 1 0.78%
shelter/rescue 80 62.02%
found as a stray 14 10.85%
breeder (small scale, contract required, dogs kept as pet) 30 23.26%
large scale commercial breeder (backyard breeder, no contract, many litters) 5 3.88%
unknown breeder 0 0%
friend who bred their dog 5 3.88%
person who had to get rid of their pet (friend or from classified ad) 9 6.98%
other (please explain) 12 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times

Advertisements

My two labs came from a small breeder that showed labs. I knew someone who bought their dog from her. We bought the black male. Saw the little chocolate that had a hard time walking. She was in another litter. We think she just laid wrong in the mother. So we bought her too. I am so glad we did. She needed a home that could pay her vet bills. She is doing great but, on meds for life. Of course, she was spayed at 8 weeks. The breeder has tried to buy the black male back many times. No way!!!

We will not use the male to breed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
I have both rescue dogs and dogs from reputable breeders. My Newfs were bred for health/temperament/conformation w/ sire/dam having all health clearances passed. My dd plans on being a Jr. Handler w/ our female. My Choc.Lab also is from a reputable breeder. Call it selfish, but I wanted an English Lab w/ the blocky head and that's what I got. I also have a rescue Lab from a puppy mill that is totally neurotic, but very loved. Our Cairn Terriers were all rescued before becoming breeding machines, same w/ one Chihuahua. My other Chi came from a reputable breeder and friend. She was too small for breeding standards (2 lbs). My Westie also came from a breeder and neutered due to conformation (too small at only 10 lbs full grown). I also rescued a Newf w/ SAS who would not be alive had she not have had heart surgery. She's by far our most expensive, but one can't put a price on the feeling of love that engulfs you when you look into her eyes.

Sorry this if OT, but I wish there was something that could be done about the millions of unwanted dogs ending up in shelters or on CL. Any reputable breeder will have a written contract to sign stating he/she will take back the dog at any time for any reason, if you can't keep it. These aren't the dogs ending up at the shelters. The ignorant pet owners and BYB's are at fault for that.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,965 times
One of my dogs I got from a coworker who was marrying a man who HATED him.

My second dog was given to me by a coworker who was trying to address the problem of fighting in a multi dog household. Their landlord has also allowed their rental to go into foreclosure so they were being forced into a last minute move. I told her if it didn't work out I would LOVE to take him...He was mine later that day!

My third dog I adopted from a shelter.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Good to see so many rescue dogs!

I got Rudy from Peninsula Humane Society (part of HSUS) in Burlingame CA... best $50 I ever spent, LOL.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM

605 posts, read 2,991,333 times
I got my puppy from the Humane Society. I actually found him via Petfinder.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 PM

830 posts, read 2,713,763 times
Wasn't sure whether to pick "stray" or "shelter/rescue". She was left outside the pound on the sidewalk in a box after closing. She never made it into the pound (would have been a death sentence for her) because I took her that night, and she wasn't really straying either. Best little thing I ever found inside a box!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:42 PM

830 posts, read 2,713,763 times
Quote:
One of my dogs I got from a coworker who was marrying a man who HATED him.
Wow... imagine marrying someone who hated your dog!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Most of my dogs were found through Petfinder. I prefer adopting older dogs. Two of my currents dogs are from a NC rescue. One was pregnant when I got her. Of her five puppies, I still have four of them. One lab mix is from a NC animal shelter where he was there for two months. One lab mix is from a TN animal shelter.

I go out of state for my dogs because all the best dogs are snatched up quickly from the animal shelters by rescues and people. Usually what is left in MA shelters are pit bulls and pit mixes, large dogs or dogs with major issues. The local rescue groups charge a lot of money for their dogs and their application process is too invasive. And I'm not interested in having random home visits from their volunteers later on.

Anyway, I've been very lucky with my adopted southern dogs. Everyone of them has been a real joy to own.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Although I "got" Artie from a person who had to give him up, I kind of categorize my situation as a rescue in a way. The woman who my furry guy called Mom for two years listed him on Craigslist (as free, but that's a whole other story). She had already adopted out her other dog, but Artie remained. She couldn't keep the dogs because she traveled so much for work and was constantly lugging the dogs to friends to "babysit" for her.

Anyway, it took a long time for her to adopt out Artie because, although he was only three and a half years old and cute as can be, he was a bit (OK, a lot) of a terror. He had been abused as a puppy and had some "issues."

I always wanted the friendly neighborhood dog that all the kids would gravitate to, but once I met Artie (king of the lungers, barkers, and all-round terrors), I knew that I had to take care of him. Why? Because I thought one of two things would happen:

1. That he would get adopted by someone who would not have the patience for him and pass him along to yet another home, and his life would be a constant stream of new families until he finally landed in a shelter and... (I don't want to think of the "and")

or

2. That he would get adopted by someone who would not have the patience for him and abuse him.

I knew I had the patience, and I knew that I would provide him a forever home. His last home.

Is he easy? Oh no, he's not. But with me, he's a total lovebug. We're together 24/7 and he's my sunshine. And, really, that's all that matters.

I think that he could have had a very difficult life -- or no life -- had I not adopted him, so I feel like I rescued him.

I'm not saying that one is better than another (adoption vs. rescue), I'm just saying that I feel like our situation borders both.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Ok. I must fess up. I got my Westie from a Westie breeder; we got to her house and the little puppies were all running around the house; she was telling us the pedigree of the parents (championship this and that) and then she asked if we wanted to see the parents. We did. So, I was a little surprised when she took us out back and there were 5-6 dogs in pens in a separate kind of outbuilding. I wasn't real smart then. But I was a little taken aback. However, my then 10 year old son and I had traveled 3-4 hours and he wasn't leaving without a puppy. Ringo has been a fine pet but I was surprised that they didn't all live in the house.
Now I want a Yorkie, found a great breeder, small scale, local - dogs keps as pets in the house. Spay agreement necessary. I've been there 3 times and it is definitely no puppy mill. HOWEVER, just found out that the dog we picked out (supposed to come home at the end of the month) - was just PTS for a common genetic problem - apparently very serious. Now must decide if I want a littlermate . . little worried about the genetic issue. Anyhoo, that's whole nuther issue.

I feel like I've been educated on this forum (but I still want a specific type of dog) and worked hard to find the right person to give my money to. Someone who treats their dogs well and know what they are doing.

I'm not like this at all in any other way (as in keeping up with the Joneses) - but my friend calls me a 'dog snob' because I do know exactly what I want and will work to find it.

I'm good to my dogs; they have a large fenced yard; we take them hiking, feed them good food; play with them . . . but I still feel like a bad person sometimes because I don't adopt.

Oh, I feel better. Confession is good for the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs