Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM

7,169 posts, read 12,752,557 times

Advertisements

Maybe I just woke up from a deep sleep or something, but all of a sudden I'm seeing a growing 'trend' to costume our pets, especially dogs. I'm seeing a lot of Halloween outfits for sale and Web links to contests and parades of costumed pets.

Being ever curious, I'm wondering what others think about this? I'm neutral on the topic myself, but wonder why this trend has sprung up?

What do you think? Are we trying to amuse ourselves during a dismal economic time, are we elevating our pets to human status, are we proud of our pets and want to share and show them off, or what's going on?

Do the pets like it??

Is this trend a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,327,952 times
More and more people are treating their pets as family members and not just pets, and dressing them up anthropomorphizes them. My dog doesn't mind when I put stuff on him, but the only thing he wears out of the house are his Halloween costume in October, during the various dog Halloween parties we attend, and his football jerseys on game days.

I have no issues with people that dress their dogs, but if your dog doesn't like it, I personally wouldn't force it. If dressing up your pet makes you and your dog happy, then by all means do it. The only time I have issues with dogs and clothing is at an off-leash dog park, where it can become potentially dangerous.

There is also a trend now where more and more people are opting for human names (think Bob, Abby, Sophie) instead of names like Spike, Rex, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM

7,169 posts, read 12,752,557 times
Thanks for your thoughtful--and illuminating--reply. That explains a lot and sheds some light on what I was wondering...

So there are dog Halloween parties? And my dog isn't invited?? Well, he is kind of social misfit and would only want to attend if he were wearing his crown and carrying his scepter, being dog royalty (in his own mind, that is).

Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,263,158 times
As cute as some may be, I would keep an eye on them for overheating depending on the situation(indoors?) and weather ect. jmo Depending on the outfit obviously.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,711,526 times
Dooley is only crazy about two "outfits". One is a plastic leigh we got from the Pride parade a few years ago - he looks so handsome wearing it and he LOVES it. The other is a very studly leather bomber that we put on him when it's very cold out. Otherwise, he's nekked nekked nekked.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM

603 posts, read 1,951,957 times
Yeah i think my dogs have more clothes than i do!!! LoL i really enjoy dressing them as crazy as it sounds.Most of the stuff i didnt even pay for so its alright but they have everything from pjs to rain jackets.Not all of my guys let me do it but thats okay i dont force it.Most of them just sit there and let me dress 'em lol.Im guilty of dressing the shelter dogs up as well,mainly the pitties.People always seem more attracted to the pits when theyre wearing a bumble bee costume.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Yeah i think my dogs have more clothes than i do!!! LoL i really enjoy dressing them as crazy as it sounds.Most of the stuff i didnt even pay for so its alright but they have everything from pjs to rain jackets.Not all of my guys let me do it but thats okay i dont force it.Most of them just sit there and let me dress 'em lol.Im guilty of dressing the shelter dogs up as well,mainly the pitties.People always seem more attracted to the pits when theyre wearing a bumble bee costume.
Awww, bumble bees? That's cute!!! I don't know why people think it's wrong to dress them up. Dogs have their own personalities and some really like it! I think you'd know if your dog was uncomfortable. I know mine is plenty expressive and he would let me know if I crossed his fine line.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,327,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Dooley is only crazy about two "outfits". One is a plastic leigh we got from the Pride parade a few years ago - he looks so handsome wearing it and he LOVES it. The other is a very studly leather bomber that we put on him when it's very cold out. Otherwise, he's nekked nekked nekked.
I wasn't gonna count accessories, but mine has a ton of rainbow leis and various other things from all the Pride events he's attended in his
14 months! And for Halloween, he had a pleather jacket...he was a rock star. But it's never cold in San Diego, so he does't need a real jacket!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,501,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
...he's nekked nekked nekked.
Yup, that's my little guy! Au naturel, that's how he rolls. I tried putting a hallo and wings on him once - he just stood still and glared at me. I tried to get a Christman pic of him, but it didn't turn out too well. He kept falling down when I tried to get him to sit up.

Little Dolphin - I think Halloween or Christmas costumes are cute. But I'd never pay 30 or 40 dollars for a costume, whether he loved wearing it or not.

Maybe as you say, it's an easy-to-accomplish bright spot in our dismal economy. If the pets don't mind, I don't see the harm. But as an everyday thing? That seems very odd to me.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I wasn't gonna count accessories, but mine has a ton of rainbow leis and various other things from all the Pride events he's attended in his
14 months! And for Halloween, he had a pleather jacket...he was a rock star. But it's never cold in San Diego, so he does't need a real jacket!
Oh, well that's a shame because this little bomber we have is just plain old bangin'. I would've bought it even if we lived in Singapre!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs