Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,321,940 times

Advertisements

I was checking my email this morning and had one from Dogster offering me a $10 coupon to a place called PetFlow.com. Never heard of them. Checked it out and they're a place to buy pet food (and, if you want, have yourself set up on a regular delivery schedule).

They have the Taste of the Wild lamb that I feed Bandit, and it was $47 for the 30-lb bag. I don't remember EXACTLY what it is when I go to my local pet store to buy it, but I think with taxes, it comes to about $55.

Anyway, shipping was a flat rate of $4.95, but I also had a coupon for $10 off, so the whole thing was $42! Awesome!! I don't know how long shipping will take, but Bandit has a couple weeks' worth still in his container, so I think we're good for a while. Evidently their big thing is auto-ship -- setting yourself up on a delivery schedule. I didn't do that, but I can see how others might like it. (I'll probably continue to buy at my local store, because it's a little mom-and-pop shop, and it's good to support local businesses like that. But I couldn't pass up the savings this one time!)

(Hope this post doesn't count as advertising, moderators. I am in no way associated with this company, and y'all know I'm a regular poster in this forum. I was just super-stoked about having saved about $13 on the dog food I normally buy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,077,159 times
I think it's fabulous!

I buy all of Artie's food, treats, etc... online, most of it from PetFoodDirect. They seem to be a little less expensive and they are definitely a whole lot more convenient, especially since I moved to a different state and don't even know where to source Artie's stuff here.

Nothing better than, in the winter, knowing that I don't have to drive on icy roads ... Artie's food comes right to the door.

ETA: My place also pushes the "Auto Ship" feature. I think that there's an extra 15% off when you sign up to have it auto-shipped every X weeks or X months. I've never done it because I've never kept track how often I need to order more, but it's a terrific feature. I really should make note of how often I buy so that I can take advantage of it, but I like to change up Artie's flavors, and I don't think that'll jive with the feature.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM

I've learned that a 30-lb bag of food lasts Bandit about 2 months. If his sister is here visited for a prolonged length of time, 30 pounds last 1 month. So...he eats about 15 pounds per month. (I used to buy the smaller bags monthly, but it's cheaper to buy the bigger bags bi-monthly. About a year ago I started using one of those "vittle vaults" that keeps the food in an airtight container, so now I don't worry about the kibble getting stale, which used to be a concern and another reason why I bought the small bags.)

Luckily I don't have to contend with icy roads, but I can ESPECIALLY see how an auto-ship could be advantageous in those conditions!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I've learned that a 30-lb bag of food lasts Bandit about 2 months. If his sister is here visited for a prolonged length of time, 30 pounds last 1 month. So...he eats about 15 pounds per month. (I used to buy the smaller bags monthly, but it's cheaper to buy the bigger bags bi-monthly. About a year ago I started using one of those "vittle vaults" that keeps the food in an airtight container, so now I don't worry about the kibble getting stale, which used to be a concern and another reason why I bought the small bags.)

Luckily I don't have to contend with icy roads, but I can ESPECIALLY see how an auto-ship could be advantageous in those conditions!
Ah! That's helpful information. How much do you feed Bandit per day? Artie gets two cups per day -- one in the morning, one for supper.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,624,150 times
I've been buying all of my canned dog food and cat food on amazon. They have a subscription program that gives 15% off. I can order extra shipments, drop a shipment, or cancel a subscription without penalty. It's a bit less expensive than the store and unlike the store it's easy to keep their preferrred flavors. The delivery avoids time consuming handling. They often have special discounts as well.

Amazon carries a wide variety of food and household products, many very difficult to find. I've been ordering more and more for myself and my happy crew there.

I don't use much dry dog food (and never dry cat food ) so I was concerned with keeping it as fresh as possible. I transfer it from the bag into 1/2 gallon Mason jars with plastic lids. I bought them online but can't recall the name of the seller. Mea culpa.

Amazon.com: Subscribe & Save

Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,564,768 times
I just started dealing with doggifood.com and they were quick and reasonable with free shipping over $49 and they rapidly corrected a mistake in one item.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ah! That's helpful information. How much do you feed Bandit per day? Artie gets two cups per day -- one in the morning, one for supper.
That's the same for Bandit: one cup in the morning and one cup for dinner. Plus a handful of frozen green beans (or other fruit/veg) with each meal But for the kibble, it's 2 cups per day, generally.

He weighs 70 pounds.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
That's the same for Bandit: one cup in the morning and one cup for dinner. Plus a handful of frozen green beans (or other fruit/veg) with each meal But for the kibble, it's 2 cups per day, generally.

He weighs 70 pounds.
Thanks! I'm going to see if I can switch flavors with the "Auto Ship" thing. Maybe I'll give it a go -- I'm always happy to save 15%!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 AM

915 posts, read 3,183,394 times
Speaking about dog foods, which is the best brand vs budget? not the one fill with corn

Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 AM

Reef, if you do some searches you'll find tons of threads in this forum about dog food. Also, this can be a good resource: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble They offer reviews of the foods and list the ingredients, etc., so you will know which ones contain corn.

My guy is on Taste of the Wild brand, the lamb protein. Other brands we've used and liked are Wellness Core, California Natural, and Avoderm. I've used Blue Buffalo as well, but he doesn't care for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs