Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
It felt to me like I was going to be "judged" or something. I was really serious about this puppy, but I don't want to be treated like I would not be a good pet owner. I don't know how she was going to "judge" me, but the whole thing turned me away from adopting this puppy.

Same with the cat rescue group, they wanted me to fill out this paperwork, and give references. And come visit my home.

No. After this experience, with two different rescue groups, I am just going to save my money, and buy a dog now, from a breeder. Which is not my value, I have always rescued dogs, my entire life. And cats as well. But, I don't think that because I want a puppy I need to have people I don't know come to my home, and decide if I "pass" the test. Especially when I am paying $300 already.
Hate to tell you BUT Breeders make Home checks as well!! Mostly they want to know you dont have Too many animals esp for whatever local laws there are. And if you have other animals what care they are getting. They also want to see IF your fence is sound. Not sure what else they are looking for but thats what I looked for when I was a breeder. I skipped the fence part IF the dog was going to a Working home. Most of my Shelties & Collies were Farm dogs & Worked LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
^^^ that would be careful and responsible breeders ..... backyard breeders don't give a HOOT what kind of home the puppy is going to ..... as long as the check clears.........

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
^^^ that would be careful and responsible breeders ..... backyard breeders don't give a HOOT what kind of home the puppy is going to ..... as long as the check clears.........

IF this be the case you could end up with a sick dog...thats going to rack up Vet bills! Or so mentally off balance hes hard to live with....untrainable!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The animals in shelters are so vulnerable....I am glad that the organizations try to do a home study to assure that they find a "forever home" that is suitable to the needs of the dogs. The shelters are filled with abandoned and "throw away" dogs because the people who were supposed to take care of them...weren't able to fulfill their responsibility to adequately care for that specific dog....didnt anticipate the dog would grow.....needed a fenced yard....was a barker who would disturb the neighbors in the apartment below..required exercise..did or didnt get along with children...etc etc etc.

There is no reason to resent or refuse a home visit or to provide references.....it will make the transition easier for everyone. It is supposed to be about the animal....it isnt always about you.
My experience with the refuge that we worked with was that their goal of finding "forever homes" would be better served by more openness on their end, to be honest. It's great to have a questionnaire about what hours you work and what your thoughts are on crating and whether you have a fenced yard and how high the fence is and under what circumstances you would rehome a dog, etc. It's important to get a profile of a would-be adopter.

But it's also important to get a FULL profile of a would-be adoptee. The refuge we worked with is a network of fosters, so the people who are the interim caregivers for these dogs know them and their quirks and peccadilloes and behaviors pretty well, more than, say, a shelter volunteer who doesn't live with the dogs. While the basics like, "This dog is 2 years old and does well with other pets" are useful, it would also be just as useful if they were more open about things like, "This dog has an intense amount of separation anxiety and would do best in a home where someone works from home or people work different shifts, etc." versus, "This dog is crate trained," without mentioning the intense amount of anxiety the dog exhibits when crated. It would be useful if they were open about the fact that the dog has never been leash-trained, especially when prospective adopters explain that they're looking for a running buddy, etc.

Our dog had been returned two or three times, and while we'll be keeping him, I can see how various "surprises" likely made him an unsuitable dog for some, and that's due to the foster not being as open about potential problems as the refuge expects would-be adopters to be. Just as the refuges need to know what situation they're sending dogs into, adopters need to know what situations they're getting themselves into. There's some amount of caveat emptor, and of course nobody knows for sure how a particular dog will act with every person, but there's no way the behavior we experienced was not something his foster home was aware of. You can prevent returnees by being honest about the particular challenges of a particular dog, versus glossing over and/or totally omitting problem characteristics and behaviors, even when asked. To me, that would be just as important securing a "forever" home for a dog that's in your organization's care.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Funny...no matter how much we pay for our babies...once we have them...they are worth millions to us.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM

18 posts, read 32,439 times
I'm sorry that my comments were taken as meaning that I in any way question the legitimacy of rescues' adoption fees. I've done quite a bit of volunteer work over the years in breed rescue and for shelters, and the fees involved didn't cover my own costs or time. That's fine.

Am just tired of hearing all the self-righteous tirades against my choice to have well-bred, healthy pets whose background I know, from breeders who are committed to improving the breed and who go to great lengths to ensure the well-being of their animals for the life of the pet.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
Sienna, sheltie/pom/spaniel mix: $40 from the county animal control

Being stopped on the street, daily, by complete strangers who just have to tell me how cute my dog is...and getting to be the guardian of a creature that brings so much joy to so many people: Priceless.

LOL.

Dog food, toys, flea meds, collars, leashes, training books, crates, beds, etc., etc: Ummm, more $$ than I want to think about.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
oh, she IS a pretty girl misfitz ......

i get a lot of the same when i am out and about with bailey...... i think that the not-so-common markings attract people's eye......

and oh man, i hear ya' and feel the pain on the rest of the paraphenalia (sp?)

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
About 5 years ago we adopted an 8-year old Peke from the local animal shelter. The cost was $87 and this included all vaccinations, a chip in the ear, and with the condition we have him neutered within 30 days, or face a daily fine. It also came with coupons for a free grooming and free vet check-up. We had the little guy neutered about a week after we got him. There was no paperwork to fill out other then for the license, which was also included in that price. It was a deal and he was worth every single penny. We had him for about a year and a half and he died from heart failure. We enjoyed every single second we had him.

The shelter has undoubtedly raised prices now since they built a newer, larger shelter.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
$80 for one rescue, $45 for the other. We got Lola for $45 because she is a black pit bull who had a skin issue so they were trying their darndest to adopt her out. We got her the day before she was due to be euthenized She is such a sweet darling little dog and EVERYONE who has met her has completely fallen in love with her.

Now, it's $140 I believe to adopt from the county shelter we got our two at. They do give discounts if you adopt an older dog, a black dog, or a pit bull type dog though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs