U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 101,723,688 times

Advertisements

Another thread promoted me to start this thread because someone mentioned that some rescue groups are for-profit.

I started wondering what amounts everyone has paid to adopt through a rescue group.

I remember being shocked when my dog was delivered and she told me that it was close to $400.

That hadn't been disclosed to be until the day the dog arrived.

I hadn't expected it to be cheap since these rescues save dogs from being PTS and often incure high healthcare costs, $400 seemed seemed steep for adopting a rescue dog.

How much did you pay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:17 PM

16,800 posts, read 37,005,977 times
Missy was 150 bucks from Rita's Doberman Rescue back in 2002.

Ruby was 250 bucks from Tehachapi Doberman Rescue.

Nanners was free, but incurred over 1400 in vet bills during the first year to make her healthy again.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM

3,622 posts, read 11,713,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Another thread promoted me to start this thread because someone mentioned that some rescue groups are for-profit.

I started wondering what amounts everyone has paid to adopt through a rescue group.

I remember being shocked when my dog was delivered and she told me that it was close to $400.

That hadn't been disclosed to be until the day the dog arrived.

I hadn't expected it to be cheap since these rescues save dogs from being PTS and often incure high healthcare costs, $400 seemed seemed steep for adopting a rescue dog.

How much did you pay?
I can tell you that our rescue is a 501 (c) (3) not for profit organization. Our adoption fees run from $250.00 to $400.00. The variance has to do with whether the dog is a pure bred or a mix, its age and its training. All of our dogs are spayed or neutered before adoption (except puppies that are to young. In that case we do not allow the adoption paperwork to be completed until the spay or neuture is done) and are up to date on all vaccinations. A full assessment is done on all of our foster dogs when they come into our rescue system and our foster families work with their dogs to reduce and correct any bad habits they may have and treat any health issues before placing them as available for adoption. All of this is explained up front at the time of the home visit and the information is also available on our website.

As for "for profit" rescues. Can't see any lasting very long. Rescuing dogs is NOT PROFITABLE

....but rescuing IS very satisfying

Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,962,850 times
I am looking for a mastiff rescue, and would be looking at a minimum of $350.
They also "strongly encourage" membership in the organization.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,332,091 times
Bella was $150 from a rescue group which I have forgotten the name of. This included her spaying, which at the time she wasn't ready to get (3 mo. old when we got her), but did get at around 6 mo.

Buster was free since my neighbors male schnauzer impregnated both his female pug and female schnauzer within a month or less. So he had a lot of puppies to get rid of. I know they all went to good homes though and he quickly got all of his dogs fixed after that incident.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,949,360 times
Simon was $175 from a rescue group in 2002 and Darcy was $125 from Delaware Humane this year. Lola was free since she showed up here on her own.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:53 PM

691 posts, read 2,219,908 times
I was going to adopt a puppy yesterday, but the person in charge was going to bring the pup to my house, and "make" an inspection to make sure I would "pass". Forget about it. I don't like anyone coming over to my house. Definitely not a person I am paying $300 for a stray puppy. That included all shots, and spay.

Too bad, it was a cute pup.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:06 PM

14,671 posts, read 8,952,883 times
We adopted our dog from the ASPCA three years ago and the fee was $200. I foster for a rescue organization that charges $250 for large dogs and $350 for young and small dogs.

kek1993, many rescue groups in my area, including the one I volunteer for, require a home visit prior to adoption. The home visit is usually made by a rescue volunteer. They give up their personal time with their families to make the home visit on behalf of the animal's welfare. Every animal I have ever adopted has required a visit to my home. I have made home visits to adopter's homes for my foster dogs and it has always been a great experience for me and the new family.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-25-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,450,062 times
My dog's fee was $250 which was a bit steep considering her age, but she had been fostered for 15 months before anyone (me) wanted her, probably because she was a senior. The foster mom had incurred some expenses having Susie's teeth taken care of, so the rescue coordinator let the foster mom keep the whole fee.

I don't mind supporting rescue groups with somewhat high fees. I have friends who do a lot of rescue and it's expensive!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM

691 posts, read 2,219,908 times
It felt to me like I was going to be "judged" or something. I was really serious about this puppy, but I don't want to be treated like I would not be a good pet owner. I don't know how she was going to "judge" me, but the whole thing turned me away from adopting this puppy.

Same with the cat rescue group, they wanted me to fill out this paperwork, and give references. And come visit my home.

No. After this experience, with two different rescue groups, I am just going to save my money, and buy a dog now, from a breeder. Which is not my value, I have always rescued dogs, my entire life. And cats as well. But, I don't think that because I want a puppy I need to have people I don't know come to my home, and decide if I "pass" the test. Especially when I am paying $300 already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs