Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times

Advertisements

Our 12-year-old Lab/Golden mix, who is VERY healthy and active, went in today for surgery to remove a large lipoma (non-cancerous fatty lump) on her abdomen today that had been rapidly growing in size over the last few months.. This was the second surgery in two years -- the other surgery was to remove a broken tooth. We love her dearly and want to do whatever we can to keep her healthy as long as we can. She has just a touch of arthritis, but she is still always ready and eager to take a two-mile walk, and she still romps as though she is a one-year-old. Btw, we have been told and I have read that labs are expected to live, on average, about 14 years.

Although cost is not a factor, we are wondering about the toll that surgery takes on an older dog -- both the general anesthesia and the recovery time and any minor pain during the recovery period -- so I would appreciate some input as to what we should consider if she is told she will need surgery again, for whatever reason.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Bless you for taking such good care of a senior dog.

I think the answer to your question lies partly in how well the dog responds to surgery.

I adopt only older dobermans. Their average life span is 10-12 years. My last dog was 8-9 years old when I adopted her and bloated when she was 13 years old. She had been fairly healthy (she had congestive heart failure but was responding well to all the expensive meds she was on) so I had emergency surgery done to correct the stomach twist and remove the spleen and part of the stomach. She lived another 1.5 wonderful years after that.

My current dog, who was also 8-9 years old when I adopted her, does not respond well to surgery at all. She's had a couple of surgeries in the past few years and each one involved a more complicated recovery just because of the way her body responds. She's now 10 years old and I'd have to think long and hard about ever putting her through any surgery again.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,521,271 times
If the surgery will improve quality of life, im all for it. As long as dog isnt already terminally ill or the recovery will cause prolonged pain.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

I adopt only older dobermans. Their average life span is 10-12 years. My last dog was 8-9 years old when I adopted her and bloated when she was 13 years old. She had been fairly healthy (she had congestive heart failure but was responding well to all the expensive meds she was on) so I had emergency surgery done to correct the stomach twist and remove the spleen and part of the stomach. She lived another 1.5 wonderful years after that.
Wow!! That is fantastic. I'm quite familiar with this surgery, so I find it amazing

Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
It's all about quality of life for me. If a senior dog is otherwise healthy and the surgery would help them to continue to have a good quality of life, then I opt for surgery especially for things like tumor removal.

I'd think twice about a surgery that would result in a long and painful recovery period like FHO.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
It depends on the surgery; is it going to increase the dogs quality of life, is the surgery going to be hard on the dog, etc...

The lipoma example is a good one...As I understand it they're basically fat balls and are only skin deep. Removing it probably made your dog a lot more comfortable.

The tooth was definitely a good idea...The dog probably felt better after the surgery since it didn't have an open exposed nerve...

Something that was much more invasive, with a limited prognosis would require a lot more consideration. If you're taking part of an organ on an old dog, or taking something off an organ, its tough.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It depends on the surgery; is it going to increase the dogs quality of life, is the surgery going to be hard on the dog, etc...

The lipoma example is a good one...As I understand it they're basically fat balls and are only skin deep. Removing it probably made your dog a lot more comfortable.

The tooth was definitely a good idea...The dog probably felt better after the surgery since it didn't have an open exposed nerve...

Something that was much more invasive, with a limited prognosis would require a lot more consideration. If you're taking part of an organ on an old dog, or taking something off an organ, its tough.
Agree with this. There is surgery and there is SURGERY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs