Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

I blame breeders...you are lazy people who exploit animals to earn a living. The health issues you have caused by constant inbreeding has filtered down into mixed-breed dogs. You leech a living off exploitation of innocent animals. I have seen how you treat them & the living conditions they endure. Get a real job, quit exploiting animals, there are already too many unwanted dogs in shelters everywhere.

Amen to that.

I had a Wheaten terrier that had to have open heart surgery when he was 5 months old. Found out the breeder was a real dirt bag and has been reported.

He lived to be 7 years but the last 2 years he was on many drugs and many emergency trips to the Vet. One day he came in the kitchen where I was and went on up to my bedroom - somehow I knew something was about to happen - and it did. He went up to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Amen to that.

I had a Wheaten terrier that had to have open heart surgery when he was 5 months old. Found out the breeder was a real dirt bag and has been reported.

He lived to be 7 years but the last 2 years he was on many drugs and many emergency trips to the Vet. One day he came in the kitchen where I was and went on up to my bedroom - somehow I knew something was about to happen - and it did. He went up to die.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terrible.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Default A holistic approach available for dogs with congestive heart diease

I too have a ten yr old foxy/ jack cross that was diagnosed with Congestive heart disease in February of this year, 2017. He also had pneumonia, not sure if one pushed the other into this ugly place, but with antibiotics and enilipril and flourescimide he seemed to do better. However , within three weeks he was exhibiting even more serious side effects from the conventional meds he was on. Well, i too have issues with blood pressure and heart disease, one night he was in a serious moment with, coughing gagging, anxiety, heavy breathing, his chest lifting so fast and no comfort......so i made him an seriously strong cup of motherwort w honey, thinking either he was gonna die, or not, after I gave it too him....to my surprise and serious relief, he was in a better state, than the hours before.....so i got on line and researched herbal remedies for dogs with congestive heart diaease, only to find out what a great thing , hawthorne berry, motherwort, ginko, and a couple other herbs which i used my self were also good for my dog.....in that research i found ...animal essentials carried a heart tonic...tincture...that contained these elements in a concentrated form, i purchased it for 12 dollars and change and she shipped it overnight, since my dog was in need now!....i can only tell you, it has been a miracle .....he has been using it twice a day, and his symptoms subsided. Which gave me time to look for a holostic vet since i was still hearing the gurgle....i found one that was willing to take the records i had at regular vet , assessed them, and for the price of an office visit we were able to skype on the phone, and get my sweet baby on the holistic regime, he got something for his lungs,and dandylion tincture, to remove the water out of his lungs and off his heart.....its working.....he has quality in his life now......yes he has improved immensely, his appetite is strong, hes playing, barking, and running in the yard with the other two dogs i have....however, he has collapsed three times due to his running the fence......of course i try to curb his enthusiasm for life, as much as u can curb a jack russell cross, however, im okay if he passes while hes playing, not from the side effects of meds he was taking ( enilipril and flourescimide.........Im all about quality, not quantity for him.....and so far he has quality. We have had our moments, but i just keep petting him, keeping my voice calm, assuring him hes okay, pet him in long soft strokes as he goes thru the throws of to much barking and playing.....hes learning that maybe all that running isnt working for him anymore, and he knows that when he starts the gag thing we go for the tincture dose. Lol....so people, quality is what you want...this maybe something to look into. Its working for both of us, these teas and tinctures. There are no side effects like the conventional meds and u cant over do them......i hope you all find peace in this journey with our four legged friends, remember its quality not quanity......research is everything, and always get a second opinion.....also my regular vet was not on board with the tincture, but my sweet bernie is worth the odd looks .......let me know if this info worked for you and your pets, and share with others if your as impressed as i was...sincerly P Tierney, and Bernie!

Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,907 times
Does anyone know where I can purchase Vetmedin for a better price than what I'm getting from my vet?
Thanks

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
My chuawaiiwa got diagnosed with heart murmur was fine but seemed quiet so took her back to vet week later her gums n tongue were pale pink vet said she had chf and put her on lasix as heard fluid inside said she’s got few mths to live took her home and about few hours later started coughing n became lethargic her gums were grey n she had no trouble breathing at all we sat with her n she yelped for a few seconds n stopped breathing no heartbeat we cryed and held her rubbing her side about 4 mins later she came back breathing and looked vague it was 9 pm at night then did it again at 12 am yelped but was ok her breathing was fine we sat with her ( family ) we were so worried as she was fine playing hours earlier then at 1.30 am she yelped again and this time died we were shocked and devestated as her breathing was fine so think must of been heart to be told she had mths to live then have her die few hours later and no breathing difficulties was odd to us and the loss has been hard there was no laboured breathing just seemed more tired but wouldn’t sleep she just stared at us so sad so devestated she was 12

Old 02-10-2018, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
Default CHF and Renal Failure

Looking for anyone with experience with coinciding CHF and renal failure. It is so hard to work on one, it causes the other problems. Would like to hear your experience. My prissy pot Penny is a 15 year old dachshund that we have been dealing with CHF for years. Before Christmas, she was diagnosed with renal failure. I think they wanted me to put her down then at the emergency clinic. I wasn't doing it. They gave her fluid, and she looked terrible. She soon was up and functioning. Long story short, she has surpassed what everyone thought, and I have learned to do the subcutaneous fluids at home. I started noticing a little cough a couple of weeks ago, but all of a sudden this week, she is having an attack of the CHF again. I am trying to dry the fluid up, but in doing so, it causes issues in giving her fluids. Anyone deal with all this??? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-2018, 03:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplycathy View Post
Looking for anyone with experience with coinciding CHF and renal failure. It is so hard to work on one, it causes the other problems. Would like to hear your experience. My prissy pot Penny is a 15 year old dachshund that we have been dealing with CHF for years. Before Christmas, she was diagnosed with renal failure. I think they wanted me to put her down then at the emergency clinic. I wasn't doing it. They gave her fluid, and she looked terrible. She soon was up and functioning. Long story short, she has surpassed what everyone thought, and I have learned to do the subcutaneous fluids at home. I started noticing a little cough a couple of weeks ago, but all of a sudden this week, she is having an attack of the CHF again. I am trying to dry the fluid up, but in doing so, it causes issues in giving her fluids. Anyone deal with all this??? Thanks in advance!

What we do for our fur babies. I've dealt with the heart problems but never renal failure at the same time. I wish you all the luck - it's so hard watching them go through this.

If she truly is suffering you may need to say goodbye - I know you don't want to hear this. I recently lost a 14 year old Wheaten - I'd been struggling with what to do - what is the right thing to do - for a long time and then he passed away at home.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,392 times
I'm dealing with HF with my terrier mix he was fine 3 weeks ago and now he is on elapril lasix and vetmedin I asked was he suffering and vet said he didn't need put to sleep but he gasps for air all the time his resperations are between 60-80 a minute he is 14 now and this is killing us don't no what to do

Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
I took my Best Friend of 14 1/2 years , a Faithful white Maltese, to the emergency Pet Clinic a couple weeks ago. This Vet just felt around my Dog and said that he had Congestive Heart Failure and Water build up and he gave him a Lasix Shot and some Oxygen and told me I could leave him and he would give more shots as needed or I could take him home and give Lasix pills that I purchased. I decided to take him home and before we got in the house he Gasped a couple of times and Died. He was alive before I took him in, and I was wondering if Lasix could have Killed him. I don't think he died in Pain and it happened so fast, I'm just trying to get through the Loss of such a Great Faithful friend and not dealing with the loss of Toby very well.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl3 View Post
I read that the brain goes from lack of oxygen before the dog suffocates so that they don't suffer too much. I hope so, because I have a dog with the same thing for 18 months now. I spend $300 a month on pills because I love her.
I have a pit/boxer mix. She was diagnosed 6 1/2 months ago. I also spend a little over $300/month on her meds. I am so paranoid since they originally gave her 6-12 months and she is a little over the 6 month mark. I just pray that I have as long as possible with her and I will know when it may be time to relieve her of this disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs