Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

178 posts, read 489,856 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old tundra who has had ongoing ear infection in both ears for months. I have taken him to the vet repeatedly for this and spent hundreds. This vet has taken care of him since he was 3 weeks old. The vet has even tried tubes in his ears, but nothing helps. My vet also says that this infection is not treatable with antibiotics and there is nothing that can be done about it. My poor tundra is miserable. He constantly rubs his ears on the ground and they're always swollen. I feel so sorry for him. Does anyone have any ideas or know of this condition?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Poor guy! Is there pus? Has it effected his balance or hearing? Wondering if it is allergy related. JMO, but I would get a second opinion from another vet. No animal should have to suffer through something like that

Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times
One of my dogs had recurring ear infections that would clear up with Otomax or Tresaderm, then promptly recur as soon as treatment ended.

I saw a holistic vet who suggested putting him on a grain-free diet and using Zymox instead of the other meds.

Three months later his ears were clear and have remained so for the last two years.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I saw a holistic vet who suggested putting him on a grain-free diet and using Zymox instead of the other meds.

Three months later his ears were clear and have remained so for the last two years.
I was about to suggest the same thing. Go see a holistic vet.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 PM

399 posts, read 2,254,124 times
A lot of times itchy paws and ears are related to inhalant allergies. Has your vet asked you to get an allergy test done? Have they cultured the ears? I think you need a second opinion. And even a third.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
Another vote for Holistic veterinarian!!

Our dog suffered from chronic ear infections for years and we had NO idea merely eliminating the corn, soy, and other harmful fillers-allergens (as in the "popular" and vet-endorsed foods) would cure him.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Poor guy! Is there pus? Has it effected his balance or hearing? Wondering if it is allergy related. JMO, but I would get a second opinion from another vet. No animal should have to suffer through something like that

Thanks ShelbyGirl. His balance and hearing seem fine. I am considering a second opinion also! I've used this same vet with all my animals for years and he's always been so good, but I just can't believe there's nothing that can be done! I just wondered if anyone else out there had any similar problems and if so, what they did. We've done everything! Cleaning his ears, putting drops in his ears and then the tubes which did nothing.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
One of my dogs had recurring ear infections that would clear up with Otomax or Tresaderm, then promptly recur as soon as treatment ended.

Thanks Leorah! I'll call around today and see if I can find a holistic vet in our area!!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
A lot of times itchy paws and ears are related to inhalant allergies. Has your vet asked you to get an allergy test done? Have they cultured the ears? I think you need a second opinion. And even a third.

My vet has not asked for an allergy test. We've taken him to the vet repeatedly for this same condition. Second opinion is sounding like the only option! I have to get this boy some relief!!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Another vote for Holistic veterinarian!!

Our dog suffered from chronic ear infections for years and we had NO idea merely eliminating the corn, soy, and other harmful fillers-allergens (as in the "popular" and vet-endorsed foods) would cure him.
Thank you Travel'r. We buy a soy-free dog food already but will look into a different kind of food for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs