Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM

369 posts, read 2,160,303 times

Advertisements

How do I stop this nonsense?

He's 15 months old. I never saw him eat poop up until about 5 months ago. He would raid the litter box when ever I brought him over to my friends house who has a cat. That was pretty easy to prevent. No big deal.

Now the people at day camp told me he's been eating dog poop. The good news is, we finally moved out of the apartment and have a backyard now. So my dog doesn't go to day camp that much anymore.. I thought that would be the answer to the problem since I never have seen him eat his own poop.

But I was wrong. I saw him in the yard the other day eating his poop. We clean the yard daily to attempt to stop this, but it's impossible to be out there every time he poops.

He just came in from the yard, and his breathe smells horrid. I can only imagine what happened out there. Any tips??

It's hard to correct because he never does this infront of me. I've never seen him attemot to eat poop on any of our walks or anything... AHHHH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,240,112 times
Give him pineapple or pineapple juice. It makes the poop unpalatable, though I don't know how it's palatable in the first place!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,264,769 times
It's called coprahagia and pretty common. They sell a # of products over the counter to add to your dogs food to make his feces less "appealing".

Eating Dog Feces - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Isn't it strange how dogs like eating poop?

I found this great webpage that lists the 20 reasons dogs eat poop.

20 Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop (Coprophagia, Pica)

Your dog could have VERY GOOD REASONS to eat poop and correcting him might not address his needs.

I wouldn't recommend products to make poop less appealing without figuring out the WHY he's eating poop first.

Some things are easy fixes---like not enough nutrients in food, not eating often enough, not eating enough---and simply stopping the dog won't fix what's bothering him.

Happy reading!

Last edited by Hopes; 11-09-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,058,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
How do I stop this nonsense?

He's 15 months old. I never saw him eat poop up until about 5 months ago. He would raid the litter box when ever I brought him over to my friends house who has a cat. That was pretty easy to prevent. No big deal.

Now the people at day camp told me he's been eating dog poop. The good news is, we finally moved out of the apartment and have a backyard now. So my dog doesn't go to day camp that much anymore.. I thought that would be the answer to the problem since I never have seen him eat his own poop.

But I was wrong. I saw him in the yard the other day eating his poop. We clean the yard daily to attempt to stop this, but it's impossible to be out there every time he poops.

He just came in from the yard, and his breathe smells horrid. I can only imagine what happened out there. Any tips??

It's hard to correct because he never does this infront of me. I've never seen him attemot to eat poop on any of our walks or anything... AHHHH!!!
watch the show the dog whisperer--cesaer milian deals with it effectively--he also writes books dealing with dog problems such as this

Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
We had a dog that did that - it is NASTY....best thing is to just keep your yard picked up and do not do the picking up in front of him (if YOU want it, it must really be good stuff!). We would go clean up after her as soon as she came in....Hopefully he will outgrow it. I often wondered if it was related to day care. Our dog never did it before she went there....and the daycare was very clean and respected, but maybe just being around all the dogs triggered some sort of survival instinct...?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,264,769 times
Actually, as disgusting as it is...it is very natural. Stemming back to 1) the canine pack keeping their dens clean and 2) a ***** will clean up after her litter for the first 4-5 weeks, also keeping her nesting area clean. LOL...after that, my females always looked at me....like, ok I'm done, now it's your turn to keep them all clean. Motherhood only goes so far!!!!!
I do know it is a hard habit to break...so cleaning up right afterwards is always important. Making their feces less palatable is helpful. (Seems to be a oxymoron there)

LOL...ok...they edited out my description of the mama dog.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,419,446 times
My new dog did this too a couple of times. I haven't seen it lately. Except last week, the cat made her displeasure of the dog's arrival known. She put a couple little "kitty bonbons" on the stairs in the basement where they stay. The dog gulped them up like they were Godivas before I could stop him. The two of them are quite a pair, I tell you.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,240,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
watch the show the dog whisperer--cesaer milian deals with it effectively--he also writes books dealing with dog problems such as this
Somehow I doubt alpha rolling your dog to establish dominance will cure poop eating! Oh, how I hate Cesar and his outdated methods.

Dog Whisperer, Dog Psychology and Cesar Millan

Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,950,409 times
Look on the bright side: at least he's not eating human poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs