U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 35,226 times

Advertisements

Hey, I need help!! We rescued a 10 month mini-schnauzer about a month ago after we had to put our beloved 14 yr old one to sleep due to athritis. Walter, the new pup, was a physical mess-matted hair, fleas, and tape worms-of course these were not problems we new about!!!! Anyway much money later, Walter is a cleana nd good looking dog, who is almost house trained an loves my family of 5 very much. He is great with my kids and very protective of them. However, Walter now wants to EAT anyone and everyone who comes to the door. Last night he bit the babysitter on the hand-did not break skin, but bruised her hand. When a person enters he goes into a high pitched yelp/barking fit and jumps up on them trying to bite hands, pants, whatever. It is aweful. I am positive he was abused before we got him and I think he afraid someone will hurt the family or try and take himj away form us? He does much better on walks at the park when he sees people, h eis still obnoxious-but not jumping and biting. Can anyone give me some training tips-I do not want to have to give him back-he has been through soooo much already!
Sincerley,
Pshyco Schnauzer owner!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,386,220 times
I think that might just be the schnauzer personality. I have a pug/schnauzer mix and he has the high pitch schnauzer bark and it drives me bananas. Anytime I have company over he's all over them like flies on....well you know lol

I would consider some sort of training class for him. Mine has never bit he just jumps and it's annoying, so I can just imagine what you're having to deal with.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,054,040 times
A good behaviorist can help you w/o being too punitive to him. I highly recommend "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. You can get it from your library or used from Amazon. I have owned dogs for 40+ yrs and learned something new in the first few chapters.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,069,080 times
your dog needs to be walked daily and he must understand you are the boss dont answer the door till you have him stay out of the door area.....you must take control over your dog and be the boss over everything they cant be treated like humans....they are dogs and need leadership thats your job,not love and affection first but leadership and exercise first.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 AM

298 posts, read 964,444 times
I had a mini schnauzer and she never did that when we had guests. I have a mutt now (from a shelter) and he doesn't like it when people are over. He will circle them and sometimes he nips at their ankle or wrist when they are walking around the house. If they are sitting down, he is fine and wants to be petted. I don't get it.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,835,570 times
You might want to find a trainer in your area who will work with aggressive dogs and who uses ONLY POSITIVE methods. This is not something I would go it alone on. Get a trainer. This IS something that can be fixed. You AND the dog will be happier if you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs