Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,970,598 times

Advertisements

Well, Nanners' toe. Started easing her into raw today with a raw chicken drumstick. (organic! whatever that means). After taking it gently from my paw and dropping it on her bed, she sniffed it, licked it, pushed it around with her snout for awhile, then her instincts took over and down it went.

She has a notoriously tender stomach that seldom tolerates change, so I'll be watching what comes out of her with rapt attention, just like Dawn does with the world-famous Artie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,949,554 times
I hope she continues to like it. My dogs go crazy for anything raw.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Bone and all or just the raw meat?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,907 times
I would designate a place like on a sheet you lay out on the floor for her to eat it. Something you can readily wash. You dont want raw meat on a bunch of different surfaces of your house that could transfer to your own food possibly. Other than that... I hope it works out well for you.. I've heard nothing but good things about raw feeding and have done a lot of research on switching my dogs over to it, hope to soon.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Bone and all or just the raw meat?
Everything.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
I would designate a place like on a sheet you lay out on the floor for her to eat it. Something you can readily wash. You dont want raw meat on a bunch of different surfaces of your house that could transfer to your own food possibly. Other than that... I hope it works out well for you.. I've heard nothing but good things about raw feeding and have done a lot of research on switching my dogs over to it, hope to soon.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I think about feeding Artie raw. And then the thought goes away.

Please let me know how Nanners reacts to it -- if her sensitive tummy handles it well, I might allow the thought to come to the forefront of my brain.

If you need any poop analysis pointers, let me know! I'm happy to share my knowledge.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I think about feeding Artie raw.
Well, Nanners does have an advantage with her massive, powerful jaws.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
What a good dog Nanners is. I tried going raw many years ago and when I gave Jazz and Dash some raw chicken they sniffed it and looked at me with the expression of "Are you too lazy to cook that or what?" I tried to get them to eat raw for a few weeks but the expression never changed and they would just walk away They will chew on Raw beef bones and eat the marrow inside and over the years both have snagged a dead squirrel or rabbit or gopher before I could stop them and consumed it. ( My neighbors lab use to catch these on the hill and kill them then leave them so along came my two to eat the kill). But they want their chicken cooked for some weird reason. I decided they both were doing fine on the Innova and Canned Merricks or canned EVO or ( thanks to Artie) some Stella and Cheweys freeze dried duck or some of what I am eating mixed in ( cooked fish, chicken or veggies) so let it be. I use variety in what gets mixed in the dry Innova as it keeps their meals exciting so they are dancing waiting to see what's for dinner.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 PM

Thank you, and I agree, she's a keeper.

I had a pretty good idea that she'd have no compunction about eating raw because of the rotten dead cat she ate last year and the two wild rabbits she's eaten after running them down and killing them.

In Nanners, I adopted a high desert dog who, for the first 4 years of her life, had pretty much been left to her own devices when it came to eating. She's a sweetheart of the highest order, but she's not that far removed from the wild life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs