Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,405 times

Advertisements

I have a labradoodle that stays in electric fence. There is a big black lab that comes and visits alot- gets out of his electric fence. I was outside yesterday and our neighbor who walks his border collie with no leash decided to approach the labradoodle and lab and a fight started- the border collie and the labradoodle are good friends and play every day when Border is on his walk (4-5 times a day) so I am wondering if the Border was trying to protect the labradoodle from the big lab- they went around in circles fighting for a few minutes while me and the border collie's owner were screaming their names trying to separate all of them . Eventually they all split up and were ok- My other nieghbor called the lab's family and told them what happened and to please try and keep their dog in fence etc. But the border collie walks without a leash so who knows really what started it- My dog was the only one in the right- in the shock fence- My previous dog was attacked twice by a mean golden retriever- he was also in our electric fence. why do you think a fight started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
That's why I can't have an electric fence. I have two small dogs and there are too many larger dogs walking around loose.

My neighbor has a GSD in an electric fence and when we walk by there -he sounds like he's going to come right out and rip my little ones apart. I'll say this though - he has never left his yard!

If all three dogs knew each other - perhaps it was just the dynamics of having all three together instead of just two at a time?

I hope everyone is fine now. I'm sure it was very scary at the time.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Honestly this is the huge draw back to an invisable fence. The invisible fence does not protect your dog. I assume since you have an invisible fence and your neighbor has one that it is against your HOA to put up a fence?

The lab owners were at fault for not keeping their lab on their property and the border collie owner should have had control of his dog. There are very few dogs that in my opinion can be walked off leash and remain under verbal control 100%.

Who knows what ultimately started the fight...but it sounds like you had more fussing that an all out brawl. If they really wanted to brawl, someone would have been hurt. From what I take from your story it may have been about social rank. FYI, in the future...owner(s) screaming at the fussing dogs only excites them which continues the fussing.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Honestly this is the huge draw back to an invisable fence. The invisible fence does not protect your dog. I assume since you have an invisible fence and your neighbor has one that it is against your HOA to put up a fence?

The lab owners were at fault for not keeping their lab on their property and the border collie owner should have had control of his dog. There are very few dogs that in my opinion can be walked off leash and remain under verbal control 100%.

Who knows what ultimately started the fight...but it sounds like you had more fussing that an all out brawl. If they really wanted to brawl, someone would have been hurt. From what I take from your story it may have been about social rank. FYI, in the future...owner(s) screaming at the fussing dogs only excites them which continues the fussing.
I have not had a problem with invisible fence- 95% have dogs on a leash- and i like my dog to have the freedom of the yard. I plan to callt he city and report this loose dog today.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
Personally I think having an electric fence is just asking for this sort of trouble... the reason the fight started was because none of these dogs were truly under control via leash/real fence. Strays, loose dogs, or dogs that are not under control can go in and out of your yard as they please. You have stated that your dog has been attacked in the past by a mean dog and now a fight. I personally would not put my dog at risk in this way. At least your dog sounds well trained enough that he/she respects the bounds of the fence and stays in your yard. My aunt had two goldens that would just run at top speed and go right through their "fence". I love my aunt, but I always thought it was irrisponsible of her not to put up a real fence for her dogs. They figured out that the little static shock goes away once they cross a certain point. Sounds like that's the problem with your neighbors black lab. They probably need to find a better way to contain him, and yes, they are at fault in the situation you describe... though I would say that if there is a leash law where you live, the collie's owner also needs to share equally in that blame. My personal opinions about e-fences aside, your dog was the only one where it was supposed to be and you are in the right.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
While I agree with the others' assesment of electronic fences, and would have the additional concern of liability should a child come into your yard and got hurt by your dog [NO dog is bombproof] the question you asked was about what happened.

Well, the dynamic changed the BC and the lab were new to each other and you have three dogs not two. All that play between the BC and your dog and the lab and your dog establishes rank. Now the deck gets reshuffled with three.

Probably one dog showed off at the other dog and then the third dog jumped in to help attack the "underdog" as that is often how it works. Couple that with the fact it was in your yard, there were probably some territory issues involved.

Rather than call the city, why don't you first discuss the problem with your neighbor with the lab?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
While I agree with the others' assesment of electronic fences, and would have the additional concern of liability should a child come into your yard and got hurt by your dog [NO dog is bombproof] the question you asked was about what happened.

Well, the dynamic changed the BC and the lab were new to each other and you have three dogs not two. All that play between the BC and your dog and the lab and your dog establishes rank. Now the deck gets reshuffled with three.

Probably one dog showed off at the other dog and then the third dog jumped in to help attack the "underdog" as that is often how it works. Couple that with the fact it was in your yard, there were probably some territory issues involved.

Rather than call the city, why don't you first discuss the problem with your neighbor with the lab?
As i said- we have called and left a message -he was not around today.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
i think electronic fences are a waist of time and money . I have never felt comfortable with a neighbor having an electronic fence and I have seen more dog fights break out over electronic fences . dont waist your time or money and get a for real fence or put the dog inside the house and walk it on a leash .

Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Personally I think having an electric fence is just asking for this sort of trouble... the reason the fight started was because none of these dogs were truly under control via leash/real fence. Strays, loose dogs, or dogs that are not under control can go in and out of your yard as they please. You have stated that your dog has been attacked in the past by a mean dog and now a fight. I personally would not put my dog at risk in this way. At least your dog sounds well trained enough that he/she respects the bounds of the fence and stays in your yard. My aunt had two goldens that would just run at top speed and go right through their "fence". I love my aunt, but I always thought it was irrisponsible of her not to put up a real fence for her dogs. They figured out that the little static shock goes away once they cross a certain point. Sounds like that's the problem with your neighbors black lab. They probably need to find a better way to contain him, and yes, they are at fault in the situation you describe... though I would say that if there is a leash law where you live, the collie's owner also needs to share equally in that blame. My personal opinions about e-fences aside, your dog was the only one where it was supposed to be and you are in the right.
How was the labradoodle not under control? It was controlled in its yard. The OP should be able to assume that a reaonable and responsible dog owner would keep it's dog in the yard or walk his/her dog with a leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs