Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the bond is stronger with a puppy than with an adult dog?
Yes, the bond with a dog raised from puppyhood is stronger 10 18.18%
No, I bond just as strongly with an adult dog 40 72.73%
I don't know 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about past dogs and our bonds. It seems that those I raised from a wee pup were extremely bonded to me compared to those dogs I adopted as younger/adult dogs. What do you think? Do you think the bond is stronger with a dog when you raise it as a puppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
I've had mine since he was 8 weeks old and he is so attached to me that I can't do anything without him being by my side. He's not at all like that with my husband. We have a bond that I can guarantee I will never again have with another dog. I love him to death and I think because I've had him from such a young age we were able to bond on a deepr level than if I had gotten him at 4 years. Yes, I have a somewhat unnatural relationship with my dog, but I love him more than anything and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I don't think there's any difference. I got my boy (pug) when he was a pup and my rescue chihuahua when she was (purportedly) 7 years old (the vet and I both thought she was older. They both are utterly attached to me. I'm bonded with both equally and I can't imagine life without either of them.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
The love I feel is so overpowering that I rarely notice age.

I remember when old man got into his last days. He was grey and everything else, but in my mind, he was just my dog. I didn't notice what age he was anymore.

However, at this point in my life, I am more likely to adopt an older dog.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think my rescues are slightly more bonded/protective of me b/c they had a bad life before they got here. They appreciate the good life a bit more.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think my rescues are slightly more bonded/protective of me b/c they had a bad life before they got here. They appreciate the good life a bit more.

I agree. They are very loyal and grateful for a good and loving home.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
My experience may be somewhat skewed in that I have either gotten them as young pups or as seniors who were about ten years old. I have never gotten a dog who was a young adult.

I've had 4 from puppyhood and there's a sense of - they are mine and I am theirs, we belong to each other. Two of those are still with me although Nikki can not possibly last much longer, he is 15-1/2 years old and spends most of his time sleeping.

I've adopted 5 seniors and two of those are still with me. They come to me with a lifetime of experiences that I know nothing about. Our relationship is more about me trying to provide them with a good life for whatever time they have left. I only had Sam for a year, Sandy lasted 19 months.

Bay and Monty have been with me for 3-1/2 years and still doing well.

I think that my time with the older dogs is somewhat akin to my time with the many foster dogs who stay with me for a few weeks or a few months but ultimately move on the a new home. From the moment that I get them I expect that they will only be with me for a short while and so I don't let myself get as attached. (Except for Denali who I really really wanted to keep but ultimately let him go to a great family where he is any only dog)

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I could care less about age.
Sometimes with an older dog though, they are are already house-trained!

I've had some dogs since they were puppies and some when they were 2 years old. It really doesn't matter.

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
The strongest bond I have had with a dog is one I got when he was two years old. Before I got him he was well trained but most of his life was as a working kennel dog and with me he is also part of our family.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,923 times
With my experience between my two dogs I think Buster and I are bonded a lot differently and a lot stronger than Bella and I.

I got Buster when he was 7 weeks old, and he too follows me everywhere, even to the bathroom. I have no peace and quiet with this dog, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Bella I got when she was 3 months old as a rescue, she instantly bonded with my boyfriend, her bond with me came months later after he had to move back to Massachusetts. I'm not sure if that was because she had an instant bond with my boyfriend, if it was because Buster got a little jealous and attempted to steal all the attention I would give to her to himself, or if that's just the way she is.

I love them both equally, but I think Buster and I are bonded either more or just differently because I had him since he was a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs