Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 63,699 times

Advertisements

So I have an 11 week old miniature schnauzer who pretty much has separation anxiety. My husband gave him to me when he was 8weeks old and as I am unemployed at the moment, he pretty much spends all day with me.
We have been trying to crate train him, he's fine when having to go to sleep at night in the crate. We put him in and he may whimper a bit, but he knows that its bedtime. We've even been feeding him his meals in his crate so that he enjoys being in there and during the day I leave the crate in the living room where the action is and from time to time he'll go in there to get toys and maybe once in a while take a nap.
We only limit him to the living room & kitchen (connected in small apartment) through a puppy gate but whenever I try to leave the room even if its for a bathroom break he will start to whimper as soon as I leave his sight.
Ive read many of the threads here regarding separation anxiety, but havent read much on it regarding apartments.
Ive also read that sometimes you just have to give tough love and let the lil guy cry a bit and realize that whimpers arent going to get attention.

The problem here is.. I live in an apartment.
Walls are thin, and unfortunately the neighbors below us do not like us at all and are NOT kind and complain about EVERY single little noise they here from us... we've even had the cops called on us... FOR VACUUMING!

Oscar doesnt bark much, and we're training him to stop if he does.. but its just the whole whining in the crate that we dont know how to get around. When he whines, he WHINES. He'll sound like a little girl screaming at the top of her lungs. And thats all because I left his sight for 5 seconds.

I also recently bought him a puppy kong and tried it out today. It had him occupied in his crate for about an hr..which was great... until he realized there was nothing left in his kong and it was back to whining.

Can anyone offer any advice?? Please help!
And thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,852,226 times
With neighbors you might have to consider doggy day care. EVERY dog is going to make noise at some point. Have you looked at the website of the Humane Society of the United States and their crate training method? You can find it through Google and it's excellent.

Have you tried giving your boy a Kong (the kind that looks like three balls, one on top of the other, getting progressively smaller) filled with something yummy, like kibble with a tiny bit of peanut butter or plain, nonfat yogurt and then frozen?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,527,787 times
Buster had severe separation anxiety when I got him and I live in an apartment, luckily my neighbors weren't as rude as yours.

Have you tried talking to them? What did the cops say when they called them for you vacuuming? That's a little out of control. Have you talked to your leasing office or property manager about them doing that?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 63,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Buster had severe separation anxiety when I got him and I live in an apartment, luckily my neighbors weren't as rude as yours.

Have you tried talking to them? What did the cops say when they called them for you vacuuming? That's a little out of control. Have you talked to your leasing office or property manager about them doing that?

There's no talking to them. They were the ones to always complain about us... and once we started to play their game & complain about them, it all went downhill from there. We didnt talk to the police as they arrived when we were sleeping around 3am... (we were vacuuming waaaay earlier, & noise disturbance wasnt on the top of the list for cops responding to) .. and someone knocking @your door @3am in SF wasnt gonna get me up quick.
The apt manager doesnt want any part of this, as we 1st complained to him, and I guess his advice to the neighbors was to call the cops. Its an ongoing war unfortunately.. and we're hoping to move when our lease is up, but thats not until June.

I've tried Kong peanut butter spread for the Kong.. but Im going to try frozen Kong next. Hopefully that will occupy my lil guy longer.
But any other advice is appreciated.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,527,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xitsvivx View Post
There's no talking to them. They were the ones to always complain about us... and once we started to play their game & complain about them, it all went downhill from there. We didnt talk to the police as they arrived when we were sleeping around 3am... (we were vacuuming waaaay earlier, & noise disturbance wasnt on the top of the list for cops responding to) .. and someone knocking @your door @3am in SF wasnt gonna get me up quick.
The apt manager doesnt want any part of this, as we 1st complained to him, and I guess his advice to the neighbors was to call the cops. Its an ongoing war unfortunately.. and we're hoping to move when our lease is up, but thats not until June.

I've tried Kong peanut butter spread for the Kong.. but Im going to try frozen Kong next. Hopefully that will occupy my lil guy longer.
But any other advice is appreciated.

Well if you get so many noise complaints through the police doesn't that equal eviction? At least that's how it works in Texas.

Anyway....he's still a pup and was separated from his mom a little early, just like Buster was. How big is the crate you have for him? It might be that he feels it's too big for him right now because he's so small and that could be the cause of the whining in the crate along with not being able to see you. If that is the case try put a seperator in there (piece of a cardboard box) just until he gets bigger.

Another thing is closing the door to the crate a few times while you are in the house but letting him see that you're there and it is ok. Once he stops whining let him out and praise him. Start for 1 or 2 minutes and go longer and longer every time you do it. Add a minute each time, but always praise when you let him out and don't let him out if he's crying.

You can try putting a t-shirt or towel in there with him that smells like you or your husband. That also works at night for sleeping if that is where he sleeps. I believe you said he does and at bedtime he whines sometimes, you could try getting a wind up clock (the ones that go tick-tock lol) and wrap that in a shirt that smells like you. It will remind him of his moms heart beat and help soothe him.

I would assume he's a bit of a small dog, perhaps he's cold. Do you have something for the bottom of the crate? If not look into getting a crate bed, or putting warm towels in there for him.

If I think if anything else I'll let you know. Training Buster was a pain in my ass and he still barks when I leave....mainly just when I take my other dog out to go potty because I can't walk them together. If he's not going anywhere with me she shouldn't be able to either lol

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,372,112 times
Would try leaving the tv or radio on if you go out for a while (if you're not doing that already). Also, maybe taking him for a short walk before you leave will help ('a tired dog is a good dog'), unfortunately if you're in a cold climate, it may be next to impossible. He's young and will adjust, it just takes a while, hopefully your neighbors will be more patient, it's kind of like a baby, it's hard to control certain situations, you just do the best you can.

PS Jaime's advice of putting an old unwashed t-shirt in his crate is excellent too (had forgotten about that!)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,067,227 times
I have a mini schnauzer who I got at 4 months old and he did have the separate anxiety you mentioned. I tried a little bit of everything of the advice given on here and little by little it went away. He will still do a very few barks/yelps when we put him in the crate to go out but as long as we leave right away after putting him in the crate, he's okay.
We also live in an apartment but he goes to doggy daycare (a.k.a. my parents house) during the day so we avoid having him in the crate all day while we work.
We had issues in the beginning when we first got him that every time we would go outside to take him for a potty break, he would just bark...at absolutely nothing. This went away in a few days. Then we got complaint from the apartment manager about barking. They were very rude about the whole situation as I had just paid the pet deposit and I was wanting some understanding about a dog being in a new environment and he's going to be scared. They tell us about the issue weeks later. No one who made a complaint came to talk to us personally, I would have rather have someone talk to us. Then about our doggie poop smell coming from the balcony. We pick up his poop and have a trash can inside the storage unit outside in the balcony to dispose it until we can throw it with our regular trash and got complaint of the smell instead of the folks downstairs talking to us. There are no trash cans available anywhere on the apartment complex grounds so where else to throw it. I dunno if you have a solution that is working for you right now if so, please let me know.
Best of luck to ya; hang in there; it gets better! We are going to get a house in a few months, my Edison is motivation for me to save more and get motivated about moving out of an apartment. It could be the same for you down the line or at least to rent a home that accepts pets.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,372,112 times
Another thought, try a wire crate (if you havent already), they give better ventilation and your pup will prob. feel more a part of the room, he wont have plastic surrounding him where he can't see out of, someone on the list in fact had a similar problem and switched to wire and it made all the difference, just make sure you take off his collar when you put him in (they or their tags have been known to get caught on the bars etc)

Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,817 times
Why would you put up with that kind of neighbor? They can't complain about vacuuming... That's called harassment.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,009,542 times
I've had a couple of dogs with serious separation anxiety issues.

I understand about your neighbor issue so it's still serious for you,...
but from what you've mentioned, she's not destructive when you're gone and she's sleeping in a crate already -- so it sounds like your dog's "issues" are not too bad.
Viralmd referred you to the Humane Society's Crate Training instructions. Those instructions are also posted in several threads on this forum, if you do a search about "crate training".

At 11 weeks old, your dog is just a baby.

So many people dislike the Dog Whisperer but I've been watching some of his old programs on tape lately.
In one program, he deals with a small terrier whose separation anxiety sounds like what you've described.

Is your puppy getting a lot of exercise?

I've been watching some old Dog Whisperer shows on tape. On one of the shows, Cesar goes to the home and helps someone who has a new dog in an apartment with separation anxiety issues.

I never really thought of a direct connection between exercise and anixiety issues before but it really makes sense.

Along with exercise, desensitize the dog by making her be separate from you for short periods when you're home.
Don't let her whine. It doesn't have to be a loud correction that your neighbors can hear. As you know, Cesar uses his trademark "shush".
It's about staying calm and assertive so your dog becomes calm, as well.

While at home, they put that little dog in another room with her bed and made her stay there and did things like knock on the door and rattle the doorknobs to further desensitize him. I wish I could share the program I just watched with you.

Putting something that smells like you in the crate is a good idea. Make sure you don't use the crate as punishment.

Lots of exercise daily is very important. It calms the dog and releases energy.

With your neighbors, I would not take a chance or give them opportunity to complain about the dog. Doggie daycare or a family member who might babysit sounds like a safe bet when you're gone until you're absolutely sure that your dog won't disturb them.

With your neighbors, I would move.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-24-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs