U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,717,531 times

Advertisements

My newish 12 pound, very short-haired Chihuahua mix is being housed at a relative 68 degrees (meaning sometimes it's colder). Often he shivers and he doesn't take to his sweater vest.

Is he going to be OK at that temperature? So far he's fine, no sicknesses at all, but I worry that he is miserable while I'm away.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Need hot pepper for the chili dog.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,634,826 times
Warm him up or get him a sweater; just supervise when he's wearing it. You can also get one of the cat 'cube' beds for him and add a baby's fleece blanket.

I've got 6 chis / chi mixes. Every single one likes it in the 80s. We don't keep the house that warm so they spend most of their time in our bed under blankets snuggling with their daddy all day. Chis are most definitely sun worshippers and need to be kept very warm.

ETA ; Just realized you said he doesn't like the sweater. Just keep him in blankies. Maybe in a small room with a space heater. When ours go to their room when we're not home, they have a space heater and blanket and they all curl up around it. Our doxie and pitbull foster dogs have taken to going in there too, and it's common to see 2 or three bigger dogs snuggling with 6 little chis around a heater. The chis love the extra body heat!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,829,644 times
I have a short-haired chihuahua and when we visit friends in the country whose house is rather cool, she wears her sweater ALL THE TIME.

The secret to getting your dog used to clothes is to put him in the clothes AND LEAVE HIM in the clothes (obviously under your supervision). He WILL get used to them. I got my dog when she was 7 and she had never worn any sweaters, but this worked. Eventually your dog WILL like the clothing. Chihuahuas are REALLY sensitive to the cold (she wears THREE COATS when we go out in the very cold weather we've had here).

Another thing you can do is get a snugglesafe (just Google for online sellers). This is a disc that you warm in the microwave and slip into the dog's bed, under the cover. It's nice and stays warm for several hours.

I also have a heating pad that ONLY goes on when a dog is lying on top of it. It, too, is also good for those daytime hours when you're not home. And it doesn't get very hot at ALL.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM

Wow, thanks Mrs1885 and ViralMD, I'm glad I asked.

I can shut down another room to keep it warmer and I will look into the gizmos like the snugglesafe. Oh, and I'll keep trying the sweater on him.

I figured, any dog who can spend the whole night under the covers next to me, is probably going to be too cold otherwise.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,829,644 times
Let me add that the space heater should NEVER be left on unattended with the dog. And ONLY use a space heater that uses oil and not one of those gizmos with the glowing red elements. Those are REALLY unsafe.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
miu

17,664 posts, read 38,270,134 times
I have a mini rat terrier with a short coat. He's also a senior dog at 13 years of age. My house was around 55 degrees in late November and December. It's now at 63 degrees because I'm petsitting a lovebird. Josh doesn't much like wearing sweaters or cotton shirts. And he even goes outdoors for short excursions in the teens without clothing.

He seems fine walking around the house naked. And I keep a couple of throws and blankets on my sofa for when he sleeps there. He's always been one to burrow under covers, even in the summertime. Right now, he is sleeping peacefully next to me uncovered in a small dog bed.

Otherwise, like the lovebird, the key thing is no sudden extremes in temperatures inside the house.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I have a mini rat terrier with a short coat. He's also a senior dog at 13 years of age. My house was around 55 degrees in late November and December. It's now at 63 degrees because I'm petsitting a lovebird. Josh doesn't much like wearing sweaters or cotton shirts. And he even goes outdoors for short excursions in the teens without clothing.

He seems fine walking around the house naked. And I keep a couple of throws and blankets on my sofa for when he sleeps there. He's always been one to burrow under covers, even in the summertime. Right now, he is sleeping peacefully next to me uncovered in a small dog bed.

Otherwise, like the lovebird, the key thing is no sudden extremes in temperatures inside the house.
Hmmm, this is good to know too. My dog is probably 3 parts Chi and 1 part Rat Terrier. And yes, he'll seize the outdoors 'naked' with glee, but he's usually very excited and active outdoors. Inside for long periods, I think he will be happier a bit warmer.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,634,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Dogs are like people, they like different temps. I like it warmer; I'm more comfy with the house in the upper 70s in the winter and the lower 70s in the summer. Hubby likes mid 60s in summer and lower 60s in winter. He's from up north, I'm from very southern Florida. Dogs are the same. Chis are from Mexico, so most of them will like warmer temps. Again, I know plenty people from Florida (my mother for example) that love the colder weather. So there will be some chis and chi mixes that will like cooler temps, but by far and large you'll find most chis like warmer temps, especially as they get older. My oldest chi has found the warmest spot in our house right now is in the middle of a pile of bigger dogs right in front of a heater.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,861 times
What is the temperature of a Chihuahua, and when should I take her to the Vet?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:46 PM

13,638 posts, read 37,006,049 times
Dogs body Temp is about 102 - IF You thing your dog is Sick take them to a VET ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs