U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM

386 posts, read 1,248,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinique View Post
My wonderful 3 year old corgi is very food agressive with other dogs! He was agressive with a little puppy when he perceived there was good. Any ideas? We need help!
My pom was dog and food aggressive when I first adopted her. On the food issue, I sat between the two dog bowls for each feeding to make sure the pom did not go after our other dog. I had her bowl of food and I fed her each piece at first so she learned I was in charge of her food. Then, I eased off of that but still remained between the two. If I saw her get tense because of the other dog, I would give her a verbal command (mine was a sharp sound, I don't know how to spell it) and make her stop. When she was relaxed she could continue to eat. I sat between the two for many meals, then next to them, then a little farther away, etc. until I knew there would not be any aggression. After a little while of her living with us, I had my neighbor come by to take her bone away from her, again with me right there to stop any aggression should it occur. It took several tries, but she learned it was ok for someone else to take away her food, bone, etc. Just go slow, try to stop the behavior from happening, and give lots and lots of praise when he does not act aggressively - in any situation. You want to reinforce good behavior as much as possible.

Good luck. I did not think my pom would be the sweetheart she has become when I first learned of her 'attitude' but she has come a long way and I am sure yours can also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 PM

386 posts, read 1,248,927 times
I have a pom who was aggressive at first. When I first got her, I took her to puppy classes at Petsmart. Her aggression was based upon fear so at first the class was more of a get used to other dogs. The instructor told the other students to keep their dogs away from mine at first, she had to feel more secure before they could approch her.

She is still untrusting of other dogs, but I discovered something interesting just lately. We moved to a new neighborhood about 4 months ago. Everyone has dogs. Mine was on a leash but I would not let her go near them. I would say 'isn't that a pretty dog' in a tone that she responds favorably to. She would start to wag her tail shen she saw that dog. I did that on several occasions, eventually taking her over to meet the other dog. I had her on the leash and if I saw her getting tense I removed her from the situation. Tried it again at another time and let them sniff. Eventually she was able to approach in a friendly fashion and now they are best friends. So, my advise is to know your dogs signals so you can prevent the aggression from escalating. Introduce slowly, preferably in neutral territory for brief periods, praising good behavior. You may have to try several times before it works.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
have just adopted a 2 year old male corgi today n he's attacking my extremely baffled pugs..but he's really lovely with us..he grew up with two larger dogs n his owner passed away 3 months ago...is it possible its anxiety or maybe that he's not been treated well or neglected?? is it likely this will pass??..im already having a nervous breakdown over this

Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 PM

909 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I'm reposting this video (posted separately earlier today) to show how this one dog changed with training. GOOD LUCK!

Maybe you could contact the creator of this clip for some been-there-done-that advice?

YouTube - Amazing Shelter Dog Rescue Story
Thanks so much for posting this! I didn't see the earlier posting, but what an inspiration. It will help me to keep plugging away at my Shep's housetraining.

One year Dh and I went to Seaworld and saw a most amazing and entertaining show with dogs and cats. They were all adopted from shelters and rescues.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,673,821 times
I also have a somewhat aggressive (toward other dogs) corgi (a male almost 10.) He is territorial and will be aggressive with any dogs that walk by our house (if he is also outside.) If he is in a neutral place and gets to know a strange dog there, he is fine with them anywhere, except near his food or water bowl. Before our other dog died last week , I had to make sure the other dog had finished before leaving the room. Griffin, the corgi was MUCH smaller and a little younger, but MUCH more alpha and aggressive.

Corgis are very very lovable, but oh so stubborn. Griffin is my 3rd corgi and while I don't like these traits of his, we're still working on making him a more perfect corgi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs