Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times

Advertisements

I saw one of those 'dreaded brown spots' on the pup's tummy, and sure enough, it was a tick (EW!)

So I got the tweezers, tried to keep her still, pulled at it, but missed the head. And I can't get it now that the body has been removed.

She is (over)due for her Vectra. Should that kill what's left of the tick if I apply it now (which I will anyway)?

Lesson learned: don't lapse in preventive treatments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Would try vaseline over where most of the tick was. I use a little plastic green tool (about 1.5 inches long) that has a small slit in it and it removes the tick - it goes on my keyring so it's kind of hard to misplace. Have used it twice this year, will be putting Frontline on them soon. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
im being told ticks are going to be bad this year all around...
i personally like "the tick key" which is what honey crips described.
in terms fo getting the head out...
you need to because of the risk of infection...
firstly youll probbaly need an extra set of hands...or 2, a heat source (candle, lighter ect) and either a needle or flat headed Sharp tweezers.
get her slettled on her back and held down.
now sterilize the needle or tweezers with theheat source...

if your using the needle you want to "fish" the head peice out by inserting the needle into the very top few layers of skin next to the tick head and getting the needle UNDER the head and fishing upwards essentially hooking the head without peircing it...
with the tweezers you literally want to grasp the head (and the thin layer of skin above it and try and peel it away...

repeat untill its all gone, steralizing the needle/tweezers each time.

its not comfortable, its not fun, but its better than leaving it to get infected...it will NOT fall out on its own.

good luck...i HATE ticks...

ive found if you dont have a tick key or similar tick remover and need to use tweezers always remember to pull the tick away by moving straight up, never twist or try and "re angle" the little bugger as youll always end up with the head left behind in those cases and always get those tweezers down around the tick as close to the skin as possible before pulling to ensure you have a good grip on the entire thing and not just the abdomen.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im being told ticks are going to be bad this year all around...
i personally like "the tick key" which is what honey crips described.
in terms fo getting the head out...
you need to because of the risk of infection...
firstly youll probbaly need an extra set of hands...or 2, a heat source (candle, lighter ect) and either a needle or flat headed Sharp tweezers.
get her slettled on her back and held down.
now sterilize the needle or tweezers with theheat source...

if your using the needle you want to "fish" the head peice out by inserting the needle into the very top few layers of skin next to the tick head and getting the needle UNDER the head and fishing upwards essentially hooking the head without peircing it...
with the tweezers you literally want to grasp the head (and the thin layer of skin above it and try and peel it away...

repeat untill its all gone, steralizing the needle/tweezers each time.

its not comfortable, its not fun, but its better than leaving it to get infected...it will NOT fall out on its own.

good luck...i HATE ticks...

ive found if you dont have a tick key or similar tick remover and need to use tweezers always remember to pull the tick away by moving straight up, never twist or try and "re angle" the little bugger as youll always end up with the head left behind in those cases and always get those tweezers down around the tick as close to the skin as possible before pulling to ensure you have a good grip on the entire thing and not just the abdomen.
foxywench, you sound like an expert at this. She has to go to the vet tomorrow anyway to have a cut on her foot checked out,so I think I will have them handle this. It takes 3 of them to keep her still.

I believe they sell those tick tools there...time to invest in one.

Darn, I was hoping the Vectra would make the tick release itself...

Old 05-01-2011, 04:12 PM

the mouthparts will eventually be rejected by the body but in the mean time you have a slowly decaying peice of bug so it leaves open for infection...

ugh lol, ive delt with sooo many ticks, not only on myself and the dogs (even with tick protection these little parisites can still bite they simply die when they do so) but i also do wildlife rehab, and of course, they dont have the benefit of topicals/pesticides and diligent people...

*shudder* i HATE the little yickies.

if she picked the tick up in the garden you could try sprinking your yard (and then putting a good line around your perimeter) of a FOOD GRADE diatemacious earth...
itll help keep them out of your yard since the DE peirces the excoseleton of the insects and dehydrates them from the inside out...
itll keep most crawling insects and slugs/snails at bay too!

just be sure its food grade, most feed stores carry it

Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I saw one of those 'dreaded brown spots' on the pup's tummy, and sure enough, it was a tick (EW!)

So I got the tweezers, tried to keep her still, pulled at it, but missed the head. And I can't get it now that the body has been removed.

She is (over)due for her Vectra. Should that kill what's left of the tick if I apply it now (which I will anyway)?

Lesson learned: don't lapse in preventive treatments
I think it is clearly better to remove ticks with a pair of stainless steel tweezers, deftly extracting the mouthparts without squeezing the gut contents back into the dog and then following up with a douse of isopropyl alcohol, however, there are LOTS and LOTS of dogs that have survived thousands of repetitions of manual tick removal without ill-effect apart from a little bump or a scab at the site of the bite. Given equipment and facilities, always remove ticks as cleanly as possible - but I certainly wouldn't wait to pull a tick until I was at the vet's office. Get it when you find it.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM

actually using alcohol is NOT suggested by most, it can actually "wash" the bacteria in...best use is to keep it clean with a little soap and water and then a tiny dab of tripple antibiotic ointment to prevent infection...

we learnt this in my rehab class via state lisenced vets in terms of taking care of tick bites on oursielves and any animals we take in...the alcohol can actually increase risks...

Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
actually using alcohol is NOT suggested by most, it can actually "wash" the bacteria in...best use is to keep it clean with a little soap and water and then a tiny dab of tripple antibiotic ointment to prevent infection...

we learnt this in my rehab class via state lisenced vets in terms of taking care of tick bites on oursielves and any animals we take in...the alcohol can actually increase risks...
Just to clarify, I think the vets were saying not to put alcohol on the embedded tick since this can cause it to purge its stomach contents back into the victim's body.

I'm not sure that means "don't clean the area with alcohol after removal".

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM

nope we were told not to clean the area with acolohol after tick removal...simply use a little antibacterial soap and warm water then a dab of tripple antibiotic if nessicary (if it seems "angry") and keep an eye on the area.

perhaps because were in an incredibly high lymes area?!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
nope we were told not to clean the area with acolohol after tick removal...simply use a little antibacterial soap and warm water then a dab of tripple antibiotic if nessicary (if it seems "angry") and keep an eye on the area.

perhaps because were in an incredibly high lymes area?!
Hmm... I've never heard that before and will have to look into it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs