Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,609,204 times

Advertisements

I know there is often the discussion about spaying or neutering a dog on this board. Well this was posted by someone on facebook today so thought I would share it. I think the health benefits will always be something people will differ in opinions on but here is the big picture as it really is a global issue....and I post it for all those puppies and dogs that die each day in animal shelters because there are not enough homes , because too many dogs go unspayed/neutered. My Chaos was lucky as I saw her photo and saved her but she was in such a shelter and I am sure some of the puppies/ dogs that were there when she was have met this fate though no no fault of their own there just were no homes for them

The top ten reasons to spay or neuter your dog were killed at the pound this morning.

Think about it!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,063,796 times
yes... i have seen that too....

so succint and SO true......

Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,942,583 times
I posted a similar thing on my Facebook page. After reading that the estimate of the numbers of dogs & cats euthanized by shelters in the US was between 4 million-6 million per year, I did the math and figured that meant 10 animals every minute.

So I posted:

The top 100 reasons to spay or neuter your dog or cat....................

...were just euthanized in shelters in the past 10 minutes.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,493,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I know there is often the discussion about spaying or neutering a dog on this board. Well this was posted by someone on facebook today so thought I would share it. I think the health benefits will always be something people will differ in opinions on but here is the big picture as it really is a global issue....and I post it for all those puppies and dogs that die each day in animal shelters because there are not enough homes , because too many dogs go unspayed/neutered. My Chaos was lucky as I saw her photo and saved her but she was in such a shelter and I am sure some of the puppies/ dogs that were there when she was have met this fate though no no fault of their own there just were no homes for them

The top ten reasons to spay or neuter your dog were killed at the pound this morning.

Think about it!
Just because someone prefers to keep their dog intact for the health of the dog does not mean they are allowing their dog to breed. This is what they call an "erroneous assumption."

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I posted a similar thing on my Facebook page. After reading that the estimate of the numbers of dogs & cats euthanized by shelters in the US was between 4 million-6 million per year, I did the math and figured that meant 10 animals every minute.

So I posted:

The top 100 reasons to spay or neuter your dog or cat....................

...were just euthanized in shelters in the past 10 minutes.
And if everyone followed your advice, you would completely wipe out all dogs within a single generation. Think about it.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 AM

No, the message is directed to pet owners, not responsible breeders. Of course breeders aren't expected to spay/neuter animals to be bred. They also must follow AKC guidelines and ensure the health of the animals. Ordinary owners who decide to breed their pets are doing so irresponsibly and contributing to overpopulation and huge numbers of unwanted shelter pets.

And the owners who choose not to spay/neuter and claim they aren't letting their pet breed are fooling themselves. The pet only has to get loose once...

Not to mention that "intact" pets are more likely to try to escape, be successful in escaping, get run over by cars, and get into fights (sometimes deadly).

Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
No, the message is directed to pet owners, not responsible breeders. Of course breeders aren't expected to spay/neuter animals to be bred. They also must follow AKC guidelines and ensure the health of the animals. Ordinary owners who decide to breed their pets are doing so irresponsibly and contributing to overpopulation and huge numbers of unwanted shelter pets.

And the owners who choose not to spay/neuter and claim they aren't letting their pet breed are fooling themselves. The pet only has to get loose once...

Not to mention that "intact" pets are more likely to try to escape, be successful in escaping, get run over by cars, and get into fights (sometimes deadly).
There is no such thing as a "responsible breeder", they are ALL "puppy mills." Or so the refrain goes with the fanatics.

Either these fanatics are too stupid to realize the ultimate outcome of their goals, or they truly want to eliminate all dogs and cats.

If you want to spay or neuter your pet, you certainly have that right. Just as others have the right to keep their pets intact. Do not impose your agenda on others.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Of course everyone has the RIGHT to spay or neuter their pet or not. I NEVER said or would say that they do not or should not have the right.
I am very big on individual rights. I really resent it when I disagree with someone online and they automatically assume I think they don't have the RIGHT to their opinion. Yes some people are unfortunately like that, but don't assume we all are.

I don't believe in the extreme opinion that all breeders are "puppy mills." There are plenty of responsible breeders out there, so please don't lump me in with the freaks who think they are all corrupt.

My point is about education about the benefits of spaying and neutering, and the risks of not doing so. Of course, people will do whatever they want. But there are lots of people out there not getting their pets "fixed" for reasons like assuming the dog values his testicles emotionally as much as the man does, or because they think their animal is so cool, they "might" want to breed it one day, or because they think they might become an unofficial breeder and try to sell the puppies or kittens out of their back yard. For a lot of these people, simply learning about the overpopulaiton situation and how it arose can help them to make the decision to spay/neuter. You'd be surprised at how little some of these people understand.

For people who are already convinced that keeping the animal intact is best for its health, they probably won't change their mind. I think they are wrong, but they think I am wrong, and that's our right to think so.

Finally, posting something on my Facebook status or even on an anonymous message board is hardly "imposing my agenda on others." Lighten up Francis.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,230,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
And if everyone followed your advice, you would completely wipe out all dogs within a single generation. Think about it.
This is such an ignorant statement. Millions of dogs are killed every year in our shelters. Promoting spaying/neutering will not completely wipe out all dogs. The day that no more animals are killed in shelters, is the day that your point could be valid. We are no where near worrying about dogs becoming extinct...

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 06-29-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Of course everyone has the RIGHT to spay or neuter their pet or not. I NEVER said or would say that they do not or should not have the right.
I am very big on individual rights. I really resent it when I disagree with someone online and they automatically assume I think they don't have the RIGHT to their opinion. Yes some people are unfortunately like that, but don't assume we all are.
Yes, unfortunately there are many people like that. Those are the people who get laws enacted that prohibit individuals from making the choice for themselves whether they want to spay or neuter their dog.

Quote:
I don't believe in the extreme opinion that all breeders are "puppy mills." There are plenty of responsible breeders out there, so please don't lump me in with the freaks who think they are all corrupt.

My point is about education about the benefits of spaying and neutering, and the risks of not doing so.
What about the risks involved in spaying and neutering? To be educated on a subject one needs to know about both sides of an issue. There are definite benefits to spaying and neutering, just as there are definite health risks. A pet owner needs to be aware of both in order to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Of course, people will do whatever they want. But there are lots of people out there not getting their pets "fixed" for reasons like assuming the dog values his testicles emotionally as much as the man does, or because they think their animal is so cool, they "might" want to breed it one day, or because they think they might become an unofficial breeder and try to sell the puppies or kittens out of their back yard. For a lot of these people, simply learning about the overpopulaiton situation and how it arose can help them to make the decision to spay/neuter. You'd be surprised at how little some of these people understand.

For people who are already convinced that keeping the animal intact is best for its health, they probably won't change their mind. I think they are wrong, but they think I am wrong, and that's our right to think so.

Finally, posting something on my Facebook status or even on an anonymous message board is hardly "imposing my agenda on others." Lighten up Francis.
Whatever the reason someone chooses to either spay/neuter their dog or keep them intact is entirely up to them. You do not have to agree with their choice, but nobody has the right to take that choice away from them by getting laws enacted that prohibit them from owning an intact pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs