Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times

Advertisements

My poor Spot was attacked in his own yard the other day. And his attacker CLIMBED A SIX FT CONCRETE WALL to get to him. Spot was out in his own back yard, supposedly safe, behind a locked gate. Spot and Lola were just enjoying the nice weather.

After 23 stitches, overnights at the vet, IV meds, antibiotics, and pain pills, Spot will be OK but scarred for life. It cost about $500. Assuming Spot continues to recover and doesn't need any other vet services. I feel so bad. I try so hard to make sure they are safe and happy.

Spot and Lola are not mean or aggressive dogs. They are both rescue GSP's and quite friendly and playful once they get to know you. They both like other dogs too and play nicely. I guess I should just be grateful he wasn't more seriously injured.

Bad things can happen even when you do your best to insure your dog's safety. Some things are beyond your control but take a few minutes to really look at your pet's environment and remove any potential hazards you can.

I'm wondering if I can make that fence higher.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,080 times
I'm so sorry this happened to your dog Glad he's going to be ok. I know how you feel... years ago a wandering dog jumped over our fence and killed our bunny... pulled her through her hutch I hope the attacker in your case was caught & reported. Good luck with Spot's recovery. Maybe an electric wire along the top of the wall/fence?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
This sucks.

I was walking Willie yesterday morning, and we were about a block from our house when a neighbor's large boxer/pit looking thing VAULTED their yard's 6 foot tall privacy fence and barrelled toward us. Another neighbor called the dog off, but it was frightening, and I'm pretty leery of going anywhere near that block again, if that dog can jump its containment. No idea if the dog is aggressive, but don't particularly want to find out.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
Thats terrible. Glad he's going to be OK, physically anyway, hope he recovers emotionally as well.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
How scary! I do hope Spot makes a speedy and complete recovery.

I have a great fence with two locked gates, but I know those things will not keep my four dogs safe all the time. You're right, sometimes things just happen.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I sure hope the other dog's owner has taken responsibility! I would try to add some barbed wire to the top of the fence if it is your fence.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Poor Spot! I would also agree that some kind of barbed or electrical wire at the top of the fence would be a good idea. The neighborhood I live in has so many loose dogs and feral cats I can't even consider leaving my dogs in the yard unattended even though I have a pretty tall fence that is locked...even a kid could climb it, let alone an animal! I hope Spot recovers 100% and that he & Lola never have to defend themselves against uninvited "creatures again!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,348 times
Default Build the wall higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My poor Spot was attacked in his own yard the other day. And his attacker CLIMBED A SIX FT CONCRETE WALL to get to him. Spot was out in his own back yard, supposedly safe, behind a locked gate. ....
That is intolerable thing to happen. Did anyone witness the attack or is this maybe a coyote story? I wouldn't guess that a large as a GSP would have any attraction for coyote.

Anyway, do you have an HOA to contend with? Raising the height of your fence maybe would not be too expensive. An electric fence wire across the top of your current fence might be doable where you found insulators of a color that did not stand out so it would not be approved by the HOA. The only thing with the electric fence is that it can fail and needs to be maintained.

Your poor dog, I am sure he will heal up fine and I hope he does not have behavour issues as a result. He should feel safe and self confident with his master and at least within the confines of his own house and yard.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Well, no one admits to owning the dog. No surprise there, after all, they don't want to pay Spot's vet bills.

Spot's wounds don't look infected but the stitches have given way at the top leaving an open area about the size of a quarter. I guess we will go spend more money at the vet tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
do you know what dog attacked spot??

poor guy .... hope he mends up quickly......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs