Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
.No one has the right to force you to spay or neuter your dog. I have had spayed dogs and unfixed males....no big deal. They are dogs....Recently my eldest daughter took her old mutt to the vet to get a growth removed from the side of his leg...It was a plumb size growth held on by a tiny strand of flesh.....$900.00.............I hate vets...It took him 5 minutes and another 5 minutes to stitch up the incision. YEP - the smiling vets are the worst...
No big deal when our shelters are killing thousands of dogs and cats across this country every year????
No big deal when dogs run in packs and kill and maim children????
No big deal when our tax dollars go to run these shelters and pay for vet services for the ones they try to save??????????????
No big deal when unvaccinated animals pose serious health risks to our communities????????

Your attitude is pathetic and very short sighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I guess I'm just weird. I love my pets but they are not children (I have a couple of those as well) and I wouldn't give my life for them and would never expect anyone to do anything for them at no cost because I couldn't afford it. If I can't afford them I don't have them...see what I did there? I waited years after moving out of my parents house to get a pet. I waited until I had bought a house of my own (hence no problems with "mean landlords who hate animals"), and was financially secure before I even CONSIDERED taking on a pet. Once I put over $3000 worth of vet bills on a CC and spent years paying it off because I chose to take some extraordinary measures with a pet, but didn't berate the vets themselves for not doing it for free. What a load of BS THAT is. I make the decisions, I choose what I can and can not do financially. Whatever that means for my pet it's all on me. And whatever happens to your pet is all on YOU.\

I waited a little longer to have kids, for the very same reasons. I'm annoyed more people don't.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 7,477 times
Default neuter and spay should be free

If you can't afford to fix your pet you shouldn't have one BUT that said- there are so many ways to find free and low cost neuter and spay. Google around in your area. Unfixed dogs are problems for themselves and they create too many puppies and we are killing dogs in shelters by the thousands hourly

Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I read the article which stated that the family offered to pay the vet $3.50 a week to cover services and the vet refused. Strangely enough the vet was more willing to incur the cost of temporarily housing and putting down the dog. I wonder why vets can't be as flexible about payment as human doctors? Some payment is better than nothing. Nearly every people hospital has some program for the indigent.

Funny how "care" is so subjective.
If you do the math, it would take the family 3.3 years to pay off the cheaper surgery of amputation. This family clearly could not provide adequate care for this poor dog.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If they can't afford to have the dog spayed/neutered, how on earth are they going to CARE for it?<>
here;s your clue:
The cited link can be followed to the source of the article, which is in New Zealand. "Fixed" down there is not being used as a euphemism for "castrated" in this case it means "repaired", as in broken leg fixed after dog was run over. Sheesh.
"Read for content"

Old 10-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyldyj View Post
If you can't afford to fix your pet you shouldn't have one<M>
The stupid is strong in this thread.
Maybe it's a language problem. In New Zealand "Fixed" means "Repaired" as in "The Vet eventually fixed the dog's broken leg."
I do, however, agree that people who own pets should be responsible for their proper medical care, which may include the cost of sterilization.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Our local Human Society offers a program to have low-cost spaying/neutering to residents of the county. <>
Yes, but what does the Humane Society do to provide medical care for an adopted stray that has been run over by a car?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
<>Nearly every people hospital has some program for the indigent.
Funny how "care" is so subjective.
It's called "Medicaid" and you pay for it from your State and Federal Taxes in the USA. Pets don't get that coverage.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 18,722 times
What a shame! I didn't see a timeframe in the article, but it looks like this poor dogs leg had been shattered a couple days before any surgery happened. And the 19yo boy, well, it looks like he really loved this dog, just didn't have the money to pay for an extraneous surgery. Definitely a rough patch for him and the dog, but so glad the public rallied around them...

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll post this for future reference.

Many rescues will help with vet costs for an owner. Some have an outreach program that does exactly that. The rescue I volunteer with has paid for amputation surgery. Other rescues will take a dog into their program that needs medical help, get the dog treated and adopt it out. Of course in this case the owners have to surrender the dog to the rescue. Usually rescues prefer the dog stay with the owner but if it's not being cared for appropriately or the owners won't be able to provide the appropriate aftercare, they will ask that the pet be surrendered to them before helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs