Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Many businesses won't give a quote for prices over the phone because <>
They are also concerned it is the competition price checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll post this for future reference.

Many rescues will help with vet costs for an owner. Some have an outreach program that does exactly that. The rescue I volunteer with has paid for amputation surgery. Other rescues will take a dog into their program that needs medical help, get the dog treated and adopt it out. Of course in this case the owners have to surrender the dog to the rescue. Usually rescues prefer the dog stay with the owner but if it's not being cared for appropriately or the owners won't be able to provide the appropriate aftercare, they will ask that the pet be surrendered to them before helping.
In my experience with three rescues, they will cover full vetting but the owner must surrender the dog. My current rescue group primarily takes in medically needy dogs, especially ones that would be euthanized due to the cost of necessary vetting.

The family in the OP should have surrendered the dog to a rescue group to vet and adopt out to a home that would be able to care for it. This was a 5 mo. old puppy, irrc, with a (hopefully) long life ahead of him. If all they can afford is $3.50/wk they cannot afford to own a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs