Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

My ultra-finicky eater, Artie, when given his first scrambled egg about a month ago, went crazy with glee.

He's 35 pounds, six years old, healthy, active, etc... but I wonder how often I can give him his beloved scrambled egg.

I don't mix it with anything. I just whisk the egg in a bowl and microwave it for 45 seconds -- no additives.

I certainly wouldn't give him one every day. Not even every couple of days. Nor do I even want a set schedule for it.

But I wonder how often I CAN give him an egg without it adversely affecting his cholesterol level.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
If it was up to Artie, every hour, on the hour!

You know you listen to him more than any qualified advice giver on here anyway He has you wrapped around his little paw!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
No kidding, I just put the raw egg over the dog food.

As long as Artie doesn't have any health issues an egg a week or so couldn't hurt. But then I'm no expert. I've never had a dog that disliked eggs.

The egg = cholesterol thing is mostly a myth. If you are concerned buy the organic eggs that have been proven to have higher omega-3 levels. Do dogs even have "cholesterol problems" if they are not constantly given "human food" fatty foods?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

MA -- Exactly, right? Actually, if someone tells me that something is unhealthy for him, he can bark all he wants -- he ain't gettin' it. But everything else? It's "Artie World" and he knows it.

lifelongMOgal -- He hasn't graduated (or the reverse, actually) to raw egg, and I don't think he will. But give him scrambled eggs, and he's in ecstasy. In truth, today's was only the second or third egg I've given him but, oh my god, as soon as he smells it, his body is twitching. Once a week, huh? OK, that sounds good. I wouldn't give him more than that anyway, and will probably not remember every week either, but that's good to know. Thanks!

Oh! Just saw your edit re: cholesterol. Interesting! I have no idea!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I've always been a "give the dogs eggs" kinda guy, but last month when her blood work came back at 500 for the cholesterol, eggs are off the menu. According to the vet, 300 is the top of the scale for her.

Makes me feel like I've been killing her slowly, but I'm probably being a drama queen.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
When Angel was a pup, all she would eat was scrambled eggs.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
On an unrelated note, how can Artie be so picky?! Seriously...I gave The Beeze the leaves at end of a stalk of celery the other day, and he ate it up faster than a fat kid with cake. He also loves the ends of carrots, sniffing potato peels, and once I saw him eat the outside peel of an onion (the brown papery part!) Short bus!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Fontucky -- Ooooh! Very interesting. Do you happen to know if vets routinely test for cholesterol during a dog's annual physical exam? I'm glad that you caught that in time, so don't beat yourself up about it. I was doing the same with cheese for Artie. He loved it. It didn't love him (hence blood in his poop). The vet told me no more cheese for him. He's not happy but his bum is!

Driller -- Awwww. And how can you say no to a puppy, right?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
On an unrelated note, how can Artie be so picky?! Seriously...I gave The Beeze the leaves at end of a stalk of celery the other day, and he ate it up faster than a fat kid with cake. He also loves the ends of carrots, sniffing potato peels, and once I saw him eat the outside peel of an onion (the brown papery part!) Short bus!
When it comes to food, Artie knows his stuff. He wants the filet, not the leftovers. Not that he gets people food, really -- just the occasional broccoli floret, green beans, carrots, now the eggs -- but what goes in his bowl has to be "the good stuff." Ironically, though, (and this is where I know that he has Beagle genes mixed with his Lab ones), he walks with his nose to the ground sniffing for dropped food on the street. Somehow THAT'S "good stuff" too. Talk about yer short bus moments.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Well, dogs are primarily meat-eaters, right? Hopefully they can tolerate more cholesterol than humans. Our old 52 lb. Border Collie is almost 15, with no heart issues whatsoever. I occasionally give him little treats of fresh-cooked meat/eggs/cheese. I doubt there would be a problem with once-a-week eggs, I'd just be careful there weren't any "hot-spots" in the microwaved eggs. I love the image of your beagle sniffing, someone around me has a beagle and I frequently see him chasing deer through the woods around us, sniffing the ground crazily behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs