Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Purrfecty sweet one minute - but don't you dare wake her from a comfy spot or sleep.

Her head will turn alll the way around (ie Linda Blair) and she will start growling and snapping!

My sweet little girl! I think I have pampered her because of that one week-end she was so sick and then worried about her pending BAT test on Monday. She's turning into a spoiled brat!

I thought maybe it was pain but . . she about ripped my hand off when I went to pick her up from the couch to go to bed. I quickly put her on the floor and said NO. About 2 minutes later, she was in my bedroom, waiting patiently for me to pick her up and place her on the bed - like the queen.

I have banned her from all furniture (except my bed) until I get a handle on this. Of course, I will discuss it with the Vet on Monday but I think she was just telling us to keep away - she did not want to move and showing aggression to get her way. She just turned 6 months!

One thing I can't abide is a snappy, nippy dog.

Any suggestions, let me know. Due to the weather and Matthew's swim schedule - puppy class 30 minutes away is out of the question for at least another month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I've got no advice -- what do I know about training a dog? -- but I'm wishing you well. I know this is all going to work out fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 78,107 times
If you can afford it get a pet trainer to the house to review the problem, puppy training class may not sort out this behaviour problem when the dog is back at home. A good trainer can sort the problem out in a few hours and show you how to respond when the dog is snappy.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM

76 posts, read 176,944 times
Oh my God, that is so funny. Well I guess it isn't funny for you but, the way you described it. LOL. MY little yorkie has been acting like a little brat lately. We recently moved and we had to leave him at the other place over night. When we came back he was a mess. I spoil him and he was not happy with us at all. Now every time we go to the door or anything he snaps out. I say he is cursing and he better watch his language. I'm hoping he calms down soon. I hope you get your little brat under control real soon. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,759,576 times
Update on Lucy? How is she now?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times
I hear ya...my dog has started guarding the couch as well as food treats (like her treat ball) and items that she steals (my glasses, envelopes, etc.). It's scary and very concerning to me since I can't predict what items might cause her to bite if I try to take them away.

I started doing "exchange" exercises with her, where I use higher value (than the item) to get the thing away from her. Then if the item is really hers, I give it back. If it's a stolen item, I replace it with something she is allowed to have.

As far as the couch, I lure her using the "off" command with very high value treat (hot dog), then reward her when she gets off. Then I only allow her up with an invitation. But she still covets "my spot" and can get a little growly when "disturbed" but otherwise is a Velcro dog.

I am finding that this is a really slow process. She didn't show guarding behavior during the first month I had her. It seems now to be expanding.

I wish you luck. The book Mine! by Jean Donaldson deals with guarding (it sounds like your dog is doing location guarding). IMO, the book is an awful read, but I gleaned a few tidbits from it. But I agree with you, biting and snapping is one thing I will not tolerate. I hope this behavior modification process works.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I've tried the 'luring' thing as well too - and it seems to work. She's a bit better; but will still give a low growl if you pick her up from a comfy spot. We're going to work on NILF and see if that helps. We've just not been letting her fall asleep on the couch or my lap lately because she WILL growl if she does and you try to move her. So I guess she'll have to fall asleep in her bed if that's how she's going to be!

She's so sweet other than this; but I think she has been spoiled. I think some overall obedience training is in order.

It's funny how she grovels at Ringo's feet but growls at ME.

I remember having a friend in HS that whenever I went to her house - the whole family would warn you that their dog 'bites' .. . .then I was scared to death everytime the little thing came near me and swore I would never have a dog that bites. So far, I never have and don't intend to start now!

But I remember my cousin had a Yorkie that sent several people to the ER with his little teeth; I blamed it on lack of exercise and not being neutered . . . I don't want to find myself in that same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs