Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Ok fellow dog owners,

I have a little problem. Due to all the snow this year, both of my dogs have pooped all over my deck.

I didn't think much of it, but the sun came out today, melted some snow, and my deck is FILTHY.

I tried to get some off with the shovel, but it was frozen on there. What had 'melted' was a mushy mess.

How am I going to get this deck clean? Hose it off when everything melts and then . . . clorox it or something? I just stained the darn thing last year but some strong disenfecting will be in order I think.

I can't think of any other solution other than the hose and some bleach; but I'm not very creative either.

Anyone else have this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think hosing it would be sufficient. That's what I do. (My deck is fairly small).
When there is snow/ice on the deck and in the poop yard (small gravel yard), I often take a pointy shovel out and shovel the poopy snow (and throw it over the fence into the woods). If the snow is fresh and soft, it's eas to scoop up what you want to get rid of, either with the shovel or the scoop/rake.
Dunno about clorox. I mean, squirrels and birds and all are out there, bugs, it's not like you eat dinner off the deck. At least I don't. But then, I'm sort of used to living like I'm in a dog kennel, having five.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Pressure washer? We have one and DH uses it for all kinds of cleaning around the outdoors of the house. They have different solutions...one is for decking...as we used it last yr. on our boat dock. Cleaned it up really nice.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
pressure washer would require sealing again..... as would clorox most likely .... unless maybe the pressure washer is used on a lower setting so that the sealer is not also removed..... i think probably just a good and gentle cleaner, a hose and large scrub brush or push broom would be sufficient.....

Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I think I'm going to have to go with the hose and scrub brush for now. Later today I'll go out and pick up what I can with double baggied hands. Oh the joys of dog ownership! I probably wouldn't discuss this with anyone other than fellow dog lovers . . . .

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ok fellow dog owners,

I have a little problem. Due to all the snow this year, both of my dogs have pooped all over my deck.

I didn't think much of it, but the sun came out today, melted some snow, and my deck is FILTHY.

I tried to get some off with the shovel, but it was frozen on there. What had 'melted' was a mushy mess.

How am I going to get this deck clean? Hose it off when everything melts and then . . . clorox it or something? I just stained the darn thing last year but some strong disenfecting will be in order I think.

I can't think of any other solution other than the hose and some bleach; but I'm not very creative either.

Anyone else have this issue?
While still frozen, a retired 60 degree sand wedge...

For thawed feces, there is only one way to make a big mess into a little mess and gradually into no mess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs