Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Advertisements

Hello..my heart is broken again that our almost 11 year old German Shepherd female has bladder cancer. Day after Christmas we had to put to sleep our 13 year Belgium that we've had since meeting my hubbie. I guess I never thought that my shepherd would be sick especially after just losing her brother. That being said, I am so torn now as to have her go through surgery at her age or not. The critical care vet stated that the tumor she has is on the side wall and not in the opening which is better for removing. She would potentially have some bladder function after healing however there are no guarantee's that opening pandora's box, cells won't continue to spread. Other tests did not show any other masses at this point. We have already started her on a holistic eating plan to include the Budwig's cottege cheese and flax oil program with enzymes.

You would never know that my Heidi is sick...she is still in overall good health for being almost 11 and I want her so desperately to remain that way until the end. Watching our older dog slowly fade away each day was very heart retching. The vet did bring it to our attention that she appears to be losing some strength in her hind quarters, could possibly be another big problem shepherds are predisposed for.

So...we have the money for the surgery which after what we have paid for so far will be pushing close to $3800, without any other chemo etc. I am so concerned that since she is not young anymore her recovery could be lengthy and her quality of live would be crap. The other option is to put her on some chemo pills that have a history of causing some nasty side effects or ?? Has anyone else experience a similar situation and please share me your experiences. Heart broken dog mommy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
I feel your pain Rudydog1! I recently posted a similar thread regarding my pooch.

It is so perplexing about how to handle such a situation. I have never had to make such hard decisions. My dog gets an ultrasound Monday, I guess the results will help to make a decision on what to do.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
Just want to say that i am very sorry for you and your dog. It is a very hard decision to make. I find sometime I can ask what her vet will do if it is his or her dog. The answer can give some guidance.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I went through that with my beloved Maggee. My 1st and most special dog. It was 12-13 yrs ago so I'm sure treatment has improved but at the time (she was 12) I opted for euthanasia. I hurt like anything but when she kept looking at me for help it was all I could do.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
My heart goes out to you. We have gone through this more than once over the years. It is never an easy decision but whatever you decide, know that you made the best decision at the time for the benefit of your pet.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
My heart too goes out to you and your family.

I just wanted to chime in here with what I would do if it were my 11 y.o. large-breed dog. I wouldn't go to great lengths to treat her. This may sound cold to some but I see it as choosing QUALITY of life over quantity.

I've never done it but I assume putting a dog through chemo is not a pretty sight. Of course, neither is their succumbing to cancer but it wouldn't claim her overnight; I would simply watch her closely, get her whatever pain meds I could (and that wouldn't greatly affect her physical health) and just enjoy the days I have left with her.

Of course, you need to do what you feel is best for you, your dog and your bank account. I just wanted to share my viewpoint.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I found this on the purdue website...maybe it is helpful. Another plus with cox-2 inhibitors mentioned there is any arthritis pain would be lessened. I lost a 9 year old to hemangiosarcoma last year and have a 9.5 yo coping with recovery from a spinal injury (both GSDs)...At 11, I am not sure I would want to put one through surgery.....I would be thinking about quality.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/pcop/files...dderCancer.pdf

Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,663 times
Rudydog1...My 13 year old Pitbull had bladder cancer surgery on 7-30-12. His tumor was away from his urethras so his surgeon was very optimistic. He made it through the surgery and within 4 days he was eating good and acting like his normal self except he was sore from the incision and he peed a lot and all over. Now he still pees a lot but he seems to have an extra bounce in his step. He just turned 14 on 1-10-13. He goes back to doctor for follow up in 2 weeks for ultrasound to see if the cancer has come back. His initial prognosis was he had maybe 2 weeks to 2 months without the surgery. It has been almost 6 months so I am thankful for this extra time and I pray the cancer does not come back. If you have the money and the doctor says it is in an operable place I would say go for it. My decision to do it was based on it was at least better to have tried to help him then to not even try. I owed that much to him. Im glad I did it but I was so scared. Im even scared to get ultra sounds in 2 weeks. When I asked the vet about his age he just said that age is just a number not a disease, so if your dog has been healthy her age shouldnt be a problem. As for chemo, my vet said that chemo doesnt work very good on bladder cancer since the bladder is hard to reach.
I am in Wichita Ks and if you are anywhere close I would recommend the Emergency Vet and Specialty Clinic here. They are great. Best of luck with your wonderful baby.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,731 times
Default Please help

I have a 13year old pit bull that by far is my baby I love her so much and don't know what to do she has a large mass in her bladder wall that is cancer and now today she has been peeing blood I had sched surgery for Tuesday for the mass but now her kidneys are messing up they are keeping her for a couple of days to give her I've fluids to see if this is going to help the kidneys I'm scared I don't want to put her through surgery due to the quality of life would be selfish of me just so I can hold onto her for a little longer I love her so much and don't want her to be gone. But don't want to be selfish to keep her your comments would be helpful to here my girl name is Sasha. Thank you for listening

Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
This problem is so heartbreaking. I just hope that neither of you choose operations that will only buy a few months time, when those few months are going to be in agony and fear of the vets. These are not people that you can explain what is happening to them. They simply want to be with you and as pain free as you can make them, they will let you know when it is time to let go, and help them pass with dignity. Don't make their short life harder because of your own sadness and helplessness. The only people that benefit for extending their lives, in many cases, are the vets. I know they hope to help dog society over the long run, and they hope the treatments give you extra time, but none of those reasons help the dog and it's fear, despair or suffering. Those so called, life saving surgeries make humans feel better not them. They know when they are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs