Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:49 AM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,353,067 times

Advertisements

You guys have been very helpful before maybe you can help me again......so I have an 8yr old Chihuahua(according to the vet). I adopted her from the shelter in October. She has had some accidents in the past but for the most part seemed to be housebroken.

But now for about the last month or more she has seemed to not care anymore. She will pee on the floor and run away when finished as if she knows shes done something wrong. I take her out very often I try to limit her water. She is basically on a food and water schedule but none of that seems to matter at this current time.

She used to sleep in the room with me or on the couch but she will pee in my room and the couch so I make her sleep in her cage (even though she barks to get out for a while). She has started pooping in my house as well but that mostly happens if I fall asleep with her rooming around so that's not too much of a problem. But the craziest thing to me is that she does not bark to get let outside. I really have no signal she has to go until she goes on my carpet. She even pee'd on my bf's lap (and boy was he mad).

What can I do to get this dog to signal me when she needs to go instead of just going? She will also pee in her cage as well I know dogs don't like to go where they lay but she apparently doesn't mind at all. Please please please help. I really love this dog but I don't have the time to steam clean the carpet everyday and restricting her to the cage 24/7 is just cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM

164 posts, read 567,699 times
Hi, I sometimes still have this problem with my doxie, I rub his nose in and put him outside in the lawn. It does help, but once in a while he will be naughty again. Make sure your baby doesn't have a bladder infection though. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,896,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie73 View Post
Hi, I sometimes still have this problem with my doxie, I rub his nose in and put him outside in the lawn. It does help, but once in a while he will be naughty again. Make sure your
NEVER, EVER do this. It does NOT help. It only makes him afraid of you and makes him 'go' in places you don't see until you step in it. This is something people did in the 19th century. Times and training methods hae changed. Please see my housetraining post. And if he 'goes' in places that you don't like, it's YOUR fault for letting him run around there. NOT HIS.

DO make certain your girl doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Like human females, female dogs are very prone to these infections because of the short distance from the urinary bladder to the outside!! I'll bet if you get her to the vet they'll find a UTI.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,343,525 times
I would vet check her before you do anything else. Sounds like a UTI to me. Especially, if you say she was housebroken in the past.
Please, don't rub her nose in it! Not only is it wrong, what if she does have a UTI? It's like punishing your sick kids for throwing up on your rug. You'd only be making matters worse!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 AM

257 posts, read 533,018 times
I picked up a dog off the side of the road in November & did have a little trouble potty-training her. I kennel both my dogs when I'm gone from the house. This new one (and the old one) do not whine to go outside, but they will stand by the door.

The new one does more of a running back & forth type thing when she has to potty. Is your dog really signalling you & you're just not seeing it? Try kenneling her whenever you can't watch her, even if you think you're only going to take a 10 minute nap & then take her as soon as you get back/wake up.

I do not think you should limit her water as this can also cause other problems.

Also, how large is her kennel? If she can pee in one corner & lay in the other, she will continue to potty in her kennel. It should be large enough for her to stand up & turn around in.....that's it. You can use a larger kennel for her after she is potty-trained. Some dogs especially smaller dogs cannot 'hold it' for very long. They have small bladders & need to go every few hours.

Quote:
...I make her sleep in her cage (even though she barks to get out for a while).
Yes, this is her way of training you Don't fall for it. I know she's too cute for words ( I have one too), but you are Alpha dog. She'll get it.....be strong!

Quote:
NEVER, EVER do this. It does NOT help. It only makes him afraid of you and makes him 'go' in places you don't see until you step in it. This is something people did in the 19th century.
I understand you're the moderator and all that, but....

This is not something that was done in the 19th century; try the 20th century. I will do this with my dogs. They do not go in other places. They do learn. And, we learn to take them out more frequently or have them out longer.

One more thing, I take my dogs out on leashes when it's potty time. I find that they stay more focused to the task at hand if they're attached to a person that doesn't want to stay outside all day sniffing at everything.

Good luck OP. Be strong, you can do this

Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie73 View Post
Hi, I sometimes still have this problem with my doxie, I rub his nose in and put him outside in the lawn. It does help, but once in a while he will be naughty again. Make sure your baby doesn't have a bladder infection though. Good luck.
this is SO wrong on SO many levels.......

Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,393,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raa1371 View Post
This is not something that was done in the 19th century; try the 20th century. I will do this with my dogs. They do not go in other places. They do learn. And, we learn to take them out more frequently or have them out longer.
I understand you think this is working, but professionals that know what they are doing have proven it does not work. Please do research on this before telling others to do it. It's causing more harm than good.

Shelby - I agree. My very first thought is UTI. Get her to the vet and have her checked.

Another thought, my chis are all little Divas. They do not like going outside if it's too cold or raining or there's snow in the yard. They seem to think their little paws should never be subjected to such things. It's quite easy to housebreak them and make them go out, but I've found with mine it was easier to just potty pad train them. It's been a life saver for us. Now, including our foster dogs we've got 21 in the house right now, so it's a bit different than just one. But it's an option and for us has worked flawlessly. I've heard other say potty pads make them think they can go on anything on the floor, but we haven't had that problem. The pads are in a single place in the dressing room of my bedroom and it's the only place they go.

I think the first trip though should be to the vet.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,265,172 times
Rubbing your dog's nose in the pee will not teach them to go outside. It will teach them to fear you and to associate pee/poop with getting scolded. I hate seeing bad advice on this forum, especially after someone well versed in the subject (Viralmd) has posted great information.

To the OP, first and foremost, get your dog checked out for a UTI. If all is well, then begin housetraining like you would with a puppy. Tether her to you or keep a leash on her and do not let her wander around the house where you can't see her. If you catch her going, firmly say no, pick her up, and carry her outside to the spot you want her to go. Never, ever rub her face in it since that will only make her afraid of you.

Here is a great article about why you should never rub your dog's nose in their pee/poop:

http://www.petlvr.com/blog/2009/05/d...is-nose-in-it/

Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,914,119 times
First thing I thought was Urinary Tract Infection. Peeing in her cage is definately a sign that there is something medically going on that she can't handle. Probably a good idea to go visit the vet as soon as possible, since she will need antibiotics and UTI's can lead to other medical issues.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,353,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
NEVER, EVER do this. It does NOT help. It only makes him afraid of you and makes him 'go' in places you don't see until you step in it. This is something people did in the 19th century. Times and training methods hae changed. Please see my housetraining post. And if he 'goes' in places that you don't like, it's YOUR fault for letting him run around there. NOT HIS.

DO make certain your girl doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Like human females, female dogs are very prone to these infections because of the short distance from the urinary bladder to the outside!! I'll bet if you get her to the vet they'll find a UTI.
Could you please send me the link to that post? I tried to look for it but came up short. Thanks!!

PS guys her Kennel is only big enough for her to turn around in I am making an appt to the vet Monday just to make sure she is healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs