Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

Overnight, both of my dogs have eye infections.

The vet gave me medication, but I'm not sure how I'm going to administer it to the beagle/basset.

It takes three vet techs to hold him down in the office.

Any ideas on the easiest way to get medication into the eyes of a very strong dog that wants nothing to do with it?

My labrador will be a breeze. It's the beagle basset I'm worried about. He won't bite, but he is strong and sooooooooooo dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I would wear a glove and put it on my finger and pet them to get them relaxed. Then attack! LOL

Slide the med finger to the eye from behind and then go under the eye and up over. Kinda like how people rub their eyes.

Watch your face. He may start to bite or bite out of fear reactions even if he never did before.

You can also bind him from moving by wrapping him in a towel keeping his legs tight to his body.

Give him a treat after each time. A really good treat. He will start to behave by the end of the meds if he sees eye goo = treat. (hopefully...lol)

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Would prob. sit on the floor and do it - used to do it that way w/ my small dog and it worked - she got an ointment from a tube (no finger involved) - I did it fine w/ one eye (she was sleeping on the couch) but w/ the 2nd eye, she jerked her head up and the tip of the tube went into her eye, my heart went in my mouth, she was a puppy then but was thankfully was OK, now is a trooper at getting the drops or the ointment (as long as it comes out fast of the tube/bottle fairly fast) but it took quite a while, she was much better at the vet but they had a knack for giving drops etc. It does get better in time. I agree w/ Pitt T., tasty treats are prob. the way to go (watch them line up for their meds then, LOL). Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
dave had eye infections a couple of times in the first few months he joined our family..... the 2nd time, my house mate was out of town..... so i would wait until dave was sleeping and creep up behind him and grab his head and put in the drops before he realized what was going on.... sounds way rougher and meaner than it actually was.... ....

drops are way easier than ointment, btw......

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
TRue the drops are easier but the ointment lasts longer, was good for overnite. When the tip of the tube when into my pup's eye (many yrs ago), it was the 2nd eye, the first was fine as she was sound asleep next to me on the couch, I guess she was sound asleep when I did the first eye but got startled when I attempted the 2nd eye. I felt awful and we had her checked out the next day at the vet, she had a small ulcer and needed more meds (argh) and we had to keep her out of the sun and bright light for a few days (her eye was sensitive to light). Made me feel awful (we hadn't had her long) but thankfully she bounced back (alth. I was very nervous doing the ointment for a while after that).

Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 AM

So far, both have one application of ointment last night. Soon to give the second this morning. Since the vet said three to four times a day, this needs to get easier.

The lab was a breeze. I wore latex gloves. I put a big glob of ointment on a steril gauze pad and just pulled down his lower eyelid and slid the ointment in. Got a new gauze pad and did the other eye. He just laid there like nothing happened. Didnt' bother him one bit.

The beagle/basset was a different story. I did him first. I washed my hands, put ointment on my finger and tried to get it into one of his eyes. I THINK some got into the eye. Then I went to wash my hands before doing the other eye and he ran away. The other eye went pretty much like the first. I'd like to try the steril gauze pads on him. But he's a nut when he sees me coming at him with anything.

Treats for everyone.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM

It was a success!

I can only use my finger on my beagle/basset. He doesn't trust anything else. At least he's letting me put my finger in his eyes.

Just wish I could use latex gloves but he won't have anything to do with them!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,497 times
Just curious, did the vet or do you know how they got eye infections? good job on getting the ointment in!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Just curious, did the vet or do you know how they got eye infections?
It's my husband's fault. He's the one who always picks the sleepys from their eyes. He doesn't wash his hands between dogs.

I wash my hands between touching different eyes on the same dog! My son was born without tear ducts so I know the importance of that. I learned that you use a cotton ball for one swipe, discard and get another cotton ball to swipe again. It would take 10 to 15 cotton balls just to clean one of my son's eyes.

This past week, my husband has been regularly cleaning the labs ears. Even though he does wash his hands after cleaning the ears, he might not have washed his hands good enough or he might have cleaned the sleepys from the labs eyes before washing his hands.

Hubby has been properly put in the dog house over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs