Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM

89 posts, read 387,992 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am new here and I was disappointed to see too few greyhound threads. I love my greyhound. he is currently living at home on "the farm" with my parents while I get settled into my new place, but as soon as I can, I'm paying pet rent so he can join me.

Any other greyhound afficionados out there? i just love my 35 mile per hour couch potato!

I think it is sad that not enough people know what a great breed they are. They are wonderful sweet, charming, goofy dogs who need and deserve good homes. My friends all ask why I have such a big dog and I guess I don't even notice his size. He's a pretty small dog with lots of leg I guess. He curls up nicely into small spaces.

Anyways, I am really looking forward to meeting other fans of the greyhound breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,075,090 times
Don't own one but they are one of my favorite breeds. I have looked into adoption a couple times but they wants thousands of $. It was too expensive for me. I agree they are beautiful and fun. And they are easy to groom!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Where are you looking to adopt that they want so much money? My adoption was only the fee for neutering and microchipping (at my request). I can't believe an adoption agency would require that much money to find a much-needed home! Check the internet to see if any other agencies are available. Adopting shouldn't cost that much. You could buy a greyhound puppy and race it for that much (not something I endorse, for the record). Greyhound pets of america has adoption agencies set up nationwide and I've found them to be remarkably reasonable as far as price goes.

I'm glad you support the efforts though. Retired racers need a fan club.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,624,473 times
When I lived in Florida I had a neighnor who did rescue- they are sweet beautiful dogs. She also said they have an excellent temperament.

If I didnt already have a zoo I would surely adopt one!

sunny

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,075,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessizadorable View Post
Where are you looking to adopt that they want so much money? My adoption was only the fee for neutering and microchipping (at my request). I can't believe an adoption agency would require that much money to find a much-needed home! Check the internet to see if any other agencies are available. Adopting shouldn't cost that much. You could buy a greyhound puppy and race it for that much (not something I endorse, for the record). Greyhound pets of america has adoption agencies set up nationwide and I've found them to be remarkably reasonable as far as price goes.

I'm glad you support the efforts though. Retired racers need a fan club.
I think you were fortunate to get one so reasonably. Honestly, I think some of the rescue organizations do this intentionally. They charge a lot thinking that will limit their buyers to people who can afford vet care etc. So, I can understand that.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:44 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,150,178 times
As a lot of people on the boards know I have 2 greyhounds and have been involved our local adoption program for over 14 years.
We have shipped dogs to other adoption programs in different states. the agverage adoption fees is around $200 to $250 to cover the vet fees for nueter/spay teeth cleaning and shots.
In our contract the folks adopting agree to keep the dog on a leash unless it is is a fenced area and if for any reason they can't keep the dog it must be returned to us.

This is an amazing breed. They are not high strung as a lot of people think.
As jessiz said they are couch potatos.
here are some pictures not many people have seen, I was lucky enough to visit a breeder
I was amazed and impressed how regulated the breeding process is.
karla

2 day old puppies

3 weeks old this is the same litter see all the different colors ? I so wanted to take them all home

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,385,959 times
Greyhounds rule man!! We had three rescues, loved them to pieces, and the last one passed away 3 years ago. We adopted a Whippet who is now the joy of our lives.

I just can't say enough about our greyhounds though. They were such sweet animals - always happy, playful until old age took over. I wish you the best.

There are a number of sites and adoption agencies around.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Those puppy pics are SO cute. The adoption agency I got my grey through actually is run by a breeder and playing with the puppies was like a highlight. I actually found one and said if she didn't make it on the track that I'd be happy to take her in too.

It's funny how much they look like the "average" adorable roly-poly puppies at first. You'd never imagine that a burst of speed could come from that.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,495,043 times
I've been lucky enough to meet Myfask/Karla's dogs and they are super sweet.

Greyhounds really seem to be very intelligent, highly evolved beings...there is something very serene and regal about them.

One of these days I think I'm just going to quietly walk out the front door with Karla's male greyhound, he and I seem to have a mutual admiration.

You don't mind, do you Karla?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,150,178 times
thanks riveree
clue is a sweetie he just takes everything in stride. Next time you come over you will have to sit on the sofa he will climb right up and try to sit in your lap he seems to forget he weighs 73 #s

rofl quietly !!! do you really think Lola(our non greyhound crazy puppy) misses a trick in this house. she would be saying " where are you going huh huh can i come !!!!!" "mee mee don't forget about meeee"
she is clues best friend sooooooo

karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs