Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times

Advertisements

It is beautiful out today, so I took Copper on a little walk down to the dead end of our street and back.

He had his nose to the ground the whole time. He's a beagle, so I expect it- I know that is what he will be doing. I'm just not sure if I should be correcting him to walk with his head straight up, or let him follow his natural instinct and smell everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
It depends on what your walk is for. If your obedience training, then he should be walking out your side, no hesitations. When we are just out walking for the sake of fun and exercise, Dylan is allowed to walk ahead of me, but no pulling, but he can smell and do as he pleases as long as it does not inhibit my walking (like criss-crossing back and forth in front of me)....If I see another dog headed our way, then I tell him to "heel" and he walks right along side of me...no stopping, no sniffing.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
yeah, it's good to be able to cue him to heel, so you should work on that on your walks sometimes, but there's nothing wrong with letting him sniff on a typical walk as long as he's not pulling you. it's good for a dog's mental health to get out of their territory and smell things. one of the books i read called it "checking their p-mail".

Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
I have a harrier, which is part beagle and part bassett and they were bred for hunting. His nose is always on the ground whether we are going for a walk, he is in the yard and even around the house. I have had beagles in the past and they did the same thing. I was told by a vet it goes back to the fact that they were mostly used for hunting and they are still "tracking the scent"!

I just always keep and eye out to make sure he isn't getting into anything he shouldn't be. But as Shelby said, if you are trying to train Copper, then obviously that is a different story.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Willie's a beagle mix, and I don't know that I'd ever be able to train him out of his nose to the ground sniffing, even if I had any interest in it. It's what he was bred to do. When we walk, it's for exercise and recreation for both of us, and it's his free time to sniff until his heart's content. I don't allow pulling - he wasn't leash trained at all when we got him, and was a HORRIBLE puller, to the point of choking himself, until we got him a harness. Now he still pulls on occasion if he gets a rabbit or squirrel scent, but at least with the harness, he's not risking hurting his trachea, and the pulling has gotten much more minor and infrequent in the past six months. Still, if he tries to pull or bolt while walking, we just stop until the leash is slack again. But him walking along nose to the ground, I have no problem with. He lives by his nose.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I tried to get Casey (Westie) as a puppy to stop walking with his nose to the ground, but was never fully successful. He still does it once in awhile. I don't really care now, as long as he's not pulling me. Which, by the way, he still does occasionally, if he's on a mission or if he scents "danger danger" in the air (LOL). Most of the time, he walks by my side on a loose lead, occasionally in front of me, but I don't let him lead me in terms of the direction we're going. But I know the "experts" say to train them to heel with their heads up....

Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
Thanks everyone. He was doing really good, not pulling or anything, just sniffing away. When I stopped, he just turned around and looked at me :lol Any walk I take him on is just a relaxed exercising walk.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, it's good to be able to cue him to heel, so you should work on that on your walks sometimes, but there's nothing wrong with letting him sniff on a typical walk as long as he's not pulling you. it's good for a dog's mental health to get out of their territory and smell things. one of the books i read called it "checking their p-mail".
LOL, love the "p-mail" comment!

To the OP: have you considered trying one of those leashes that goes about the snout to help control head direction? I've been in obedience classes with my lads where those have been recommended but I don't know what the thoughts are of other posters about those. I've not used one.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Ringo looooves his walks! He takes his time and soaks in every minute of it. He doesn't criss-cross or pull - but he does like to stop at EVERY tree and EVERY bush . . . . most of the time I let him as the walks are more for him than me. But if I'm walking with someone and they are trying to get some exercise; then I make him heel (at least for one go-round).

Now Lucy - walks at a frantic pace - but criss crossing back and forth . . . forward, backward . .

It's SO MUCH FUN walking both of them together.

Your's sounds like a good walker to me!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
When I walk Charlie he always has his nose to the ground, but like others have said he doesn't pull so I allow it. If Copper stops and looks at you when you stop, that's excellent!!! We stop at the curbs and Charlie sits, but that's mainly for safety. I think walks should be fun for both dog and you; I'm not a big fan of the walks where Charlie is heeling the whole time, but my SO sometimes walks him like that. It is good for training purposes and getting the dog to focus on you even though there are distractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs